PDA

View Full Version : Beet afraid, beet very afraid

JHolcomb
02-28-2003, 10:24 AM
I bought some baby beets and carrots at the store today---they're just so cute, and these looked really fresh. I bought 2 small bunches of baby beets (one red, one golden) and one small bunch of baby carrots. I was thinking of roasting them, but I duuno. Problem is that I haven't tried beets since my mom foisted some pickled beets on us when I was about 5. They were awful. And I know some people on this board still hate them in any form. But the ones I bought in the store today were cute and looked tasty enough, and even though I would say I've tried many veggies, I still like to expand my palate. Aside from the carrots, what else would be good roasted with them? For anyone that's made the Nigella dish w/roasted veggies and Halloumi, could I make that with these? Or should I just stick w/some olive oil and course salt and pepper?

pilgrim719
02-28-2003, 10:39 AM
How disappointing, I opened this thread expecting to see a dessert recipe, what with all the misleading dessert recipe thread titles lately :) Oh well, it's really about beets...back to searching for more yummy dessert recipes :D

Kari

Elisabeth
02-28-2003, 10:53 AM
I think just the roasted beets and carrots would be superb together. Roasted beets are a recent discovery for me--I had only experienced the icky pickled ones as a child and just assumed that all beets tasted like that. But fresh beets, roasted, have this wonderful earthy flavor. I wrap each (full-size) beet separately in foil and roast the full-size ones for about 45 minutes or so. After they cool, you can slide the skins off and slice or dice. Beware of the beet juice! I like my roasted beets just plain, or with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.

lhall
02-28-2003, 10:55 AM
Pickled Beets! MMMMMM Yum!:D

Leigh

lorilei
02-28-2003, 10:55 AM
We eat our roasted beets, skins and all :)

I like to make a nice green salad and put cooled roasted beets and carrots over the top with a nice dill vinaigrette. Can't be beet! :D (hehehe)

Wendy w
02-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by pilgrim719
How disappointing, I opened this thread expecting to see a dessert recipe, what with all the misleading dessert recipe thread titles lately :) Oh well, it's really about beets...back to searching for more yummy dessert recipes :D

Kari

LOL I hear you Kari! :D I opened this thread thinking that we were going to have a forum about beet fears because I find them to be quite scary. :eek:
Carry on Jen, sorry to not beet of any help. :rolleyes: :p

JHolcomb
02-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by pilgrim719

Kari

Nope, but I am making a lovely rhubarb tart for dessert tonight. Now, when you were a kid, if your mom told you she was making beets and rhubarb in the same night, wouldn't you think you'd done something just awful and this was the punishment?

Keep the ideas coming. So far, though, I think I may be going the simple roasting route.

Oh, baby beet specific question: Mine have very long thin hairy roots on them. Cut them off or leave them?

JHolcomb
02-28-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Wendy w

Carry on Jen, sorry to not beet of any help. :rolleyes: :p

And please, keep the bad puns and jokes coming. It's Friday, after all! I love 'em.

LaraW
02-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by JHolcomb

Now, when you were a kid, if your mom told you she was making beets and rhubarb in the same night, wouldn't you think you'd done something just awful and this was the punishment?

I like both rhubarb and beets, so I probably would have thought I had been good and this was the reward. DH would have thought he was getting punished though.

I'd chop off the roots, personally, but I guess its probably personal preference. I think the roasting idea sounds great. Don't forget to eat the greens too.

emily
02-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Yum! I'm with Lara, beets and rhubarb sound like a treat to me :D

I roast my beets with the roots (washed) still on, but the leaves chopped off and reserved for sauteing. I coat them lightly in olive oil and coarse salt and roast at 425 until tender. The golden ones have such a wonderful much milder flavor. I brought some home from my CSA to my dad once and we ended up just eating them straight out of the pan as a snack instead of saving them for dinner :o

I'm all out of puns, beet back later ;)

Emily

eydie6
02-28-2003, 12:02 PM
Okay, I have realized how much I love beets lately and have been consuming my share of them. Most ofter in a salad creation that is a take off of one of the ones of this board. Also, they are delicios roasted for 50 mins at 450 w/ nothing on them, oh so sweet.

The problem that I did not know:
Turns your urine red and your stools turn bright purple! Sorry if I offend anybody but if all of us are using beets thought I'd let you know not to get too concerned if these situations arise for you!

A trait somewhat like asparagus

JHolcomb
02-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by eydie6
Okay, I have realized how much I love beets lately and have been consuming my share of them. Most ofter in a salad creation that is a take off of one of the ones of this board. Also, they are delicios roasted for 50 mins at 450 w/ nothing on them, oh so sweet.

Turns your urine red and your stools turn bright purple! Sorry if I offend anybody but if all of us are using beets thought I'd let you know not to get too concerned if these situations arise for you!

A trait somewhat like asparagus

Thanks for the warning. I just remembered to remind DH that this could happen (one of the few things I remember from high school bio).

aka
02-28-2003, 12:44 PM
Here's a beet recipe I made for a potluck I went to last October. Although not everyone was brave enough to try them (stubborn beet haters), one woman asked me "How did you get your beets to taste, well, not like beets?" I got the recipe from Epicurious.com. Here is the recipe and the URL if you want to check out other reviews:
Beet recipe (http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=1267&action=filtersearch&filter=recipe-filter.hts&collection=Recipes&ResultTemplate=recipe-results.hts&queryType=and&keyword=orange+beet)

At that same site there is a recipe for a beet tart with feta cheese which sounds intriguing, but I haven't tried it (yet).

And here is the recipe:

BEETS IN ORANGE SAUCE
4 large beets, trimmed

1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 tablespoon minced orange peel (orange part only)
2 teaspoon red wine vinegar

Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap 2 beets together in foil. Repeat with remaining beets. Place on baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool. Peel beets. Cut each into 8 wedges.

Combine beets and remaining ingredients in medium nonaluminum saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until sauce is syrupy, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

(Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Rewarm over low heat, stirring often.) Serve hot.

Serves 4.

Bon Appétit
February 1996

Julia1Pin
02-28-2003, 12:49 PM
I posted a recipe about a week back for beets and feta warm salad (yum). Here's the link:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37238

Gail
02-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JHolcomb

And please, keep the bad puns and jokes coming. It's Friday, after all! I love 'em.

I confess I only clicked on this thread to tell you I love the title (and pickled beets ain't bad either :p)

...but when I saw the comment about bad puns and jokes, I couldn't help remembering this:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=23587

KValley
02-28-2003, 12:53 PM

We're not easily offended around these parts, eydie6: http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14439&highlight=beets :D :D

Not to beet a dead horse or anything, but roasted beets are awesome.

If you've got CL March 01, the Sweet and Sour Beets recipe is one of my faves.

Here's another one I lobb:

Baked Beets and Shallots
Moosewood Low-fat Favorites

Serves 6

2 pounds fresh beets (about 6 medium or 10 small)
1/2 pound shallots (about 8 large) or three medium onions, peeled and quartered
1 T. vinegar
1 T. olive oil
1 t. salt
1/4 t. ground black pepper

shredded beet greens or chopped fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Wash the beets and trim the stems and tails. Peel the shallots. Place the beets and shallots or quartered onions on a large sheet of aluminum foil and fold the edges together to seal tightly. Bake for about an hour, or until the beets are tender and easily pierced with a knife.

Remove the packet from the oven and set it aside to cool. Meanwhile, in a cup or small bowl, stir together the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. When the beets are cool enough to handle, rub them to remove the skin, then cut them into chunks or wedges. Place the beets and shallots in a serving bowl. Drizzle the dressing over them and toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with beet greens or parsley.

Here's a recipe Maureen posted that I keep meaning to dig into:

Roasted beets with Garlic Sauce
The Greek Cook by Rena Salaman
1 1/2 lb. medium or small beets
6 Tbsp. olive oil
salt

For the garlic sauce:
4 slices of white bread, crusts removed, soaked in water for 10 minutes
2-3 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
4 Tbsp. olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 deg.
Gently wash the beets under water.
Line a raosting pan with foil and place the beets on top. Drizzle a little of the oil over them, sprinkle lightly with salt and fold over the edges of the foil to enclose the beets completely. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours until perfectly soft.
While the beets cook, make the garlic sauce.
Squeeze most of the water out of the bread, but leave it quite moist. Place it in a blender or processor. Add the garlic and vinegar, with salt to taste, and blend until smooth.
While the blender is running,drizzle in the olive oil through the lid or feeder tube. The sauce should be runny. Spoon it into a bowl and set aside.
Remove the beets from the foil. When they are cool eough to handle, peel them. Slice them into thin round slices and arrange on a flat platter. Drizzle the remaining oil all over. Either spread a thin layer of the garlic sauce on top, or serve it separately.
Serve with fresh bread, if you like.

SuzyQue
02-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Gail, OMG, I read that link you posted and couldn't stop laughing! I love this BB!

Wendy w
02-28-2003, 01:17 PM

Yet another reason to beet afraid of beets.:eek: :eek: :eek: :p

Svadhisthana
02-28-2003, 01:30 PM

This reminds me of a story. I was a VERY cautious first time mother. When my DD went from nursing to eating solids, I tried one food at a time giving her only a bite or two and then waiting a week to try a new food. After a few months of this,I tried blueberries. They were whole and ripe enough to be soft enough for her to eat. She loved them and gobbled up dozens of them. A few hours later when changing her diaper I found the contents were BLACK. :eek: I was so scared and I just knew something horrible was wrong with her. I yelled out to my DH to "come quick!" , by the time he got there I realized why her dirty diaper was black. :o

DmOrtega
02-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Did you know that you can cook them in the microwave, just like any other vegetable? I love beats marinated in an oil and balsamic vinegar dressing with some herbs mixed in. Be sure to use gloves and plenty of paper towels when peeling them.

Melman
02-28-2003, 03:46 PM
If any of you beet lovers have FoodTV, Alton Brown is doing a whole show on beets next Wednesday, March 5 at 9:00 EST. I just looked to see if the recipes were posted on the website but didn't see them. They should be posted in the next day or so.

Being a lifelong beet-hater, I'm going to have a really difficult time watching this show. YUCK! Oh well, maybe I'll learn something that might make me slightly more interested in them.

Yeah. Right. :rolleyes:

gaja
03-01-2003, 07:32 AM
Funny, I just bought a bunch of baby beets for the first time yesterday (cause they were wo pretty). I made the Baked beets and shallots from Moosewood Low-Fat last night and it was SO good. I served them on sauteed beet greens and topped everything with toasted walnuts. Very yummy :)

flowers
03-01-2003, 09:04 AM
That a fun thread. :D And got a great recipe from it, Baked Beets and Shallots from K Valley. Thanks.

syzygy
03-01-2003, 10:54 AM
.....this thread finally brought me out of "lurkdomness" because I just had to share this recipe here... :)

Red and Golden Beets with Blood Orange and Endive
2 pounds red and golden beets
1/2 cup shelled walnuts
2 blood oranges
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons orange juice
Zest of 1/2 orange
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/4 pound Belgian endive
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Trim and wash the beets and roast them, tightly covered, with a splash of water.
While the oven is on, put the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 5 minutes.
With a sharp paring knife, trim off the top and bottom of each orange. Pare off the rest of the peel, making sure to remove all of the pith. Slice the oranges into 1/4-inch rounds.
Make a vinaigrette by mixing together the vinegar, orange juice, and the zest, finely chopped, and stirring in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them and slice into rounds. Toss them gently with the vinaigrette, and arrange the beets on a plate with the orange slices and Belgian endive leaves.
Drizzle over any vinaigrette remaining in the bowl, and garnish with the toasted walnuts.

Serves 4 to 6

SuzyQue
03-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Welcome, syzygy! :)

Thanks for the great looking recipe!