PDA

View Full Version : Chicken sausage and vegetables over mashed potato recipe from 2000 or before

jena
03-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Can anyone help? I am trying to find a recipe with sausages ( I think chicken apple or maybe turkey?) with sauteed vegetables like red cabbage and I think carrots. I think it was served over mashed potatoes. A search of the BB brought up a reference to another similar recipe from 2001, but that's not the one I am after. I know I made it in 2000 or earlier becasue we moved that year. Does anyone know the one I mean?

Or, has anyone tried the other one over mashed potatoes?

slknight
03-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Jena, is this the one you found from 2001? You know, I'm wondering if it is the same one you were thinking of. It says it's from April 2001, but on page 186. What I'm thinking is that it was in the "Back to the Best" column which means you could have made it in an earlier year. I don't know; just a thought.

All the other ones I found involved rice or pasta.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sausage and Red Cabbage

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. April 2001. Page: 186.
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 package (12-ounce package) chicken apple sausage,
cut into 1/2-inch pieces (such as
Gerhard's)
2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple (about 8
ounces)
1 cup frozen chopped onion, thawed
1 package (10-ounce) or 6 cups thinly sliced red
cabbage
1 cup apple juice or apple cider
1 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions.
Total time: 29 minutes

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; saute 4 minutes. Remove from pan.

2. Add apple, onion, and cabbage; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the sausage, juice, wine, sugar, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1-1/4 cups).

ElinorC
03-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Perhaps this is the one you're looking for? I changed the sausage to turkey sausage since I had difficulty finding the chicken sausage. We have this frequently since we love the onions over potatoes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pan-Seared Sausage with Sweet & Sour Onions and Mashed Potatoes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish Potatoes
Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

12 ounces turkey Breakfast Sausage Links
2 cups onion -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup apple juice
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon fennel seeds -- crushed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mashed Potatoes:
4 cups potato -- cubed, peeled
3 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese -- grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage; cook 10 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage from pan; keep warm. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.

2. Add onion to pan; saute 5 minutes. Remove onion mixture from pan with a slotted spoon, and keep warm. Add apple juice, broth and next 4 ingredients (juice through pepper) to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently to deglaze the pan. Return sausage and onion mixture to pan; cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Mashed Potatoes:
1. Place potatoes in medium saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return potato to pan. Add milk and remaining ingredients; mash with a potato masher.

Note: I like 1/2 cup apple juice and 1 cup chicken broth in sauce. I also omit the carrots. (There was originally about 1/2 cup shredded carrots.)

Yield: 4 servings (1 cup sausage mixture and 1 cup potatoes.)

jena
03-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks for both of those. I thought it might be the same recipe, but I checked and it's not in Back to the Best - though that one sounds good too. So does the other one with the onions, it may actually be the one I am thinking of, not sure. Thanks very much for posting these though, I'll have to decide which to try first...