PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Meat Loaf Recipes Needed!

Goldie
04-02-2003, 10:39 AM
I am making meat loaf tonight (I use beef BTW), and wondered what your favorite meatloaf recipe is. I have been making the same one for quite a while now, and thought a change of pace was in order:)

Thanks in advance!

aggie94
04-02-2003, 10:42 AM
I love CL's Italian Meat Loaf with Basil and Provolone. The recipe has been posted numerous times on the BB, so a search should pull it up quickly.

critikid
04-02-2003, 11:51 AM
This was my Mom's recipe and although I haven't lived at home now for over 28 years - I have never had anything as good!!!

HINT O'MUSTARD MEATLOAF
Mom

1# ground beef
1 cup bread crumbs
1 medium onion chopped
can tomato sauce (8 ounce)
1 beaten egg
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Pour above ingredients in bowl and mix together. Shape into a loaf and put into a shallow baking pan.

Mix together in a separate bowl:
can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 Tbsp. horseradish mustard
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. brown sugar

Pour sauce over meatloaf and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for an hour and 15 minutes.

cinbis
04-02-2003, 11:58 AM
I never like meatloaf until I tried CL Italian Meat Loaf with Basil and Provolone. I make it regularly. The only changes I've made is to use an Italian blend of cheese (Sargento) and sundried tomatoes that come in the jar. I don't soak them as the recipe indicates.

BeachBum
04-02-2003, 03:02 PM
This isn't light but by far my favorite!

OLD-FASHIONED MEAT LOAF
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 celery rib, chopped fine
1 carrot, chopped fine
1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup ketchup plus additional as an accompaniment if desired
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
3/4 pound ground pork
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large heavy skillet cook onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and scallion in butter over moderate heat, stirring, 5 minutes. Cook vegetables, covered, stirring occasionally, until carrot it tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/3 cup of ketchup and cook, stirring, 1 minute.

In a large bowl combine well vegetables, meats, bread crumbs, eggs, and parsley. In a shallow baking pan form mixture into 1 10-by 5-inch oval loaf and spread remaining 1/3 cup ketchup over loaf.

Bake meat loaf in oven 1 hour, or until a meat thermometer inserted in center registers 155F.

Serves 4 to 6.

Gourmet
April 1994

Cinnamon Crazy
04-02-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by aggie94
I love CL's Italian Meat Loaf with Basil and Provolone. The recipe has been posted numerous times on the BB, so a search should pull it up quickly.

This one is definitely my favorite. I like to prepare it, cut it up into individual portions, wrap it tightly and then freeze. My homemade TV dinners are great to take to work because they reheat very well.

Goldie
04-02-2003, 07:25 PM
What a coincidence - the Italian meatloaf is in the oven as we speak! I can't wait to try it; it took a bit of searching but I did finally locate it. It also took a while to chop everything and mix and clean up, but it will be worth it I know.

I'm keeping the other recipes for next time though so thanks for sending them as well. I love meat loaf, and it's pretty low in points as long as you use lean ground beef (and you don't eat the whole pan!) Meat loaf is definitely comfort food!

Cinnamon Crazy, I do exactly what you do! There are only 2 of us, so lots of leftovers. Freezing the extra portions is also a good way to keep me from eating them the first night :rolleyes:

I love to have dinners ready in the freezer.

seannasad2k
04-02-2003, 07:49 PM
I've always felt that my mothers meatloaf was the only meatloaf. There isn't really a recipe. I assume it came from her mother. Where she got it from; I have never asked. But it's the only meatloaf I actually like. Not being a big meat person...I've always felt that meatloaf was a very personal thing. Whatever you grew up on, (provided you liked it when growing up) was the only "real" meatloaf. I've tried others, but nothing has ever appealed to me. It's funny because growing up I was a picky eater. I didn't like most vegetables, I hated most meat, detested any kind of seafood. I liked chicken & ham. Now, I love vegetables, only want meat/chicken on occasion,love fish...but I am still a sucker for Mom's meatloaf.

Diane A.
04-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Another vote for CL Italian Meat Loaf with Basil and Provolone. I too use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (just blot them with a paper towel to remove as much of the oil as possible). I have tried this recipe with both ground turkey and ground beef and we definitely like it better with ground beef; I just buy the leanest I can find. We also think it has a better texture made with saltines (I can hear you all gasping now) rather than breadcrumbs.
Diane

Little Bit
04-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Just thought I'd share this thread, since it has so many good recipes:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12692

SusanL
04-03-2003, 01:15 AM
Mini Meat Loaves . I had doubled the recipe using 3% fat beef and froze them. We had some last night and and they were delicious!

[Mini Meat Loaves

A tangy mixture of ketchup and Dijon mustard not only flavors the meat loaves but also acts as a glaze that helps them brown nicely as they cook.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 pound ground sirloin
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine ketchup and mustard, stirring well with a whisk. Reserve 2 1/2 tablespoons ketchup mixture. Combine remaining ketchup mixture, beef, and next 6 ingredients (beef through egg) in a large bowl, stirring to combine.

3. Divide beef mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf; place loaves on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray.

4. Spread about 2 teaspoons reserved ketchup mixture evenly over each loaf. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until done.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
CALORIES 255 (28 percent from fat); FAT 7.9g (sat 2.8g, mono 3.2g, poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 27.4g; CARB 15.7g; FIBER 0.9g; CHOL 120mg; IRON 2.7mg; SODIUM 944mg; CALC 31mg

YIELD:
4 servings (serving size: 1 loaf)

Copyright Southern Progress Corporation, 2000. All rights reserved. Privacy policy

Goldie
04-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Hey SusanL I love the idea of the mini meat loaves - saves the trouble of trying to slice the meat loaf and still have it look good.

As far as the Italian meatloaf, I have to admit to being disappointed. It smelled heavenly as it was cooking, but my overall impression of it was "soft and sweet." I think it needs a kick of some kind, pepper? The basil just faded into the background (yes I used the full amount.) Too much ketchup inside I think made it too sweet. Maybe the saltines that Diane suggests would help the texture at least. I did follow the recipe exactly except I used mozzarella cheese instead of Provolone. I don't imagine that should have made much difference though.

That's all right though, cuz now I have a bunch more recipes to try next time! Thanks for all the suggestions.

SusanL
04-03-2003, 02:54 PM
I still love this one also... it isn't too soft.
Double Cheese Meatloaf

Cooking Spray
1 cup chopped onions
6 T. ketchup, divided
2 T. Dijon mustad, divided
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. lean ground pork
1/2 lb. lean ground veal

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Place a med. nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over med.-high
heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for 3 min. Combine the onion, 1/4
cup ketchup, 1 T. mustard, mozzarella cheese and next 6 ingredients
(mozzarella through egg) in a large bowl. Crumble ground meats over cheese
mixture; stir just until blended.
3. Pack mixture into and 8x4 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
Combine 2 T. ketchup and 1 T. mustard; spread over top of loaf. Bake at
375 for 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 160 degrees. Leat meat
loaf stand in pan 10 min.
4. Remove meat loaf from pan and cut into 12 slices. Yield: 6 servings
(serving size is 2 slices).

Calories: 329 (38% from fat)
Fat: 13.9 g (sat 5.6g, mono 5.3g, poly 1.2g)
Protein: 33.8g
Carb: 15.1g
Fiber: 1g
Chol: 133 mg
Iron: 2.4mg
Sodium: 801mg
Calc: 196mg

rinsav
04-03-2003, 03:08 PM
I LOVE the Italian Meatloaf with Basil and Provolone! It's the best meatloaf I've ever had. I highly recommend it!

aggie94
04-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Goldie,

I'm sorry you didn't care for the Italian meat loaf. :( The sweetness is actually one of the reasons I like it so much. And I probably should also have mentioned that I don't cook it as a loaf - I spread it out in a 9x13 pan, so the texture of mine definitely wasn't soft. I've been doing it that way since DH declared that his favorite part is the ketchupy topping, so this way he gets more. We call 'em "meat bars" in our house. :o

Goldie
04-03-2003, 05:42 PM
I don't cook it as a loaf - I spread it out in a 9x13 pan, so the texture of mine definitely wasn't soft.
Aha! That WOULD change the texture quite a bit if it was cooked that way. I put mine in a 5x9 loaf pan, since I'm not too hot at the freeform thing, and I think it's hard to portion it out accurately if it's not nice and rectangular:p Maybe if you cook it the way they suggest, it is a bit firmer also.

Actually it was kind of good that it was as sweet as it was. Usually my meatloaf is pretty spicy/savory, then we dump ketchup on it! However, I ran out of ketchup by putting it in (and on) the Italian meatloaf, so we had none left for the table. But we didn't need it!

Certainly not a big deal - we ate it just fine. It just wasn't at the top of my list - meatloaf must be a very personal thing!

Cinnamon Crazy
04-03-2003, 05:57 PM
When I make the Italian Meatloaf I use a 9x5 loaf pan with broiler insert. But before I place the mixture in the pan I always press it into a 8x4 pan to allow it to form a clean shape (I learned this from Alton Brown), then I invert that pan and let the mixture slide into the 9x5 pan. (Hopefully that made sense.) I also like to use garlic ketchup in the recipe and I use sun-dried tomatoes in the pouch (not oil-packed).

I never cut it right away. I usually wait until the next day before I start slicing it up. This usually takes a lot of willpower, but I definitely get a much cleaner cut.

Canice
04-03-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks for posting that link, Little Bit - I loved this, from Jewel: Grandma, however, went to the other extreme and used at least 1/3 bread crumbs to 2/3 meat, so it was incredibly dry...she also liked to layer hard-boiled eggs in the middle of the loaf so when you sliced it you had this wicked-looking 'egg eyeball' staring at you from your plate :eek:

Here's another (quasi)recipe for meatloaf as I used to make it. Don't have much opportunity to make it anymore since I'm the only one in the house who'll eat red meat. Even the dog gave up on beef! :rolleyes:

Meatloaf

pound ground beef
pound ground pork
pound ground veal
1 small white onion, diced
1 small red pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small handful frozen corn
1 handful baby spinach
several mushrooms, quartered
seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1 egg
pound Monterey jack cheese, cubed
a couple of splashes of tomato sauce (or ketchup)
couple of pinches mixed dried Italian herbs

Mix it all together! Adjust tomato sauce and breadcrumbs to get the consistency you like (I probably use cup each but Ive never measured). Top with a little ketchup and bake in a 375F oven for 45 minutes.

SusanL
04-04-2003, 06:11 PM
looks good, my printer is printing it out. Thanks!!