PDA

View Full Version : How long do capers last?

memartha
04-02-2003, 03:03 PM
This must be my "freshness in doubt" week...

Anyone know how long an openend jar of capers (packed in vinegar) would last in the fridge? The look ok, and I tasted one and it seems ok. I just want to sprinkle a few on top of my grilled swordfish tonight. thanks!

lorilei
04-02-2003, 03:14 PM
If I say "forever" will you laugh at me?

Seriously -- they're in a brine. As they age, the moisture may decrease and you may get crystalline salt on your capers. But they are unlikely to go bad (unless they're contaminated by mold, which will be obvious to you).

aggie94
04-02-2003, 03:14 PM
IMO, if they look and smell fine (and apparently taste fine too), I would go ahead and use them. I don't know what the official "shelf" life for capers is, but I've had mine in the fridge for many many MANY months and still use them. :o

JackieO
04-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by aggie94
IMO, if they look and smell fine (and apparently taste fine too), I would go ahead and use them. I don't know what the official "shelf" life for capers is, but I've had mine in the fridge for many many MANY months and still use them. :o
Ditto.

memartha
04-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Thanks all. I think I'll use them tonight and then splurge for a new jar next time I'm at the store! Have a good evening.

Canice
04-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Can anyone suggest what to do if you knock your jar of capers over and lose a bunch of the brine?

Shirley Panek
04-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Canice
Can anyone suggest what to do if you knock your jar of capers over and lose a bunch of the brine?

Pickle juice? Or would there be too much dill taste? "They" say to rinse the capers before using, but I never do. I tried it once, but the dish was too bland, so I've stuck with not rinsing them ever since.

d_ferrero
04-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by lorilei
If I say "forever" will you laugh at me?

I hope not, because that was my first thought. :)

04-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Maybe not forever, but a very long time!

Kathy B
04-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Do you think the same is true for olives? I like to put kalamati (sp?) olives in recipes, but it is a big jar and I don't use them that quickly. The juice they are in doesn't seem as much like a brine as what pickles are packed in. I had bought some, and after a while they started to get a residue of some kind in the jar and on the few that were not submerged. I threw them out and have hesitated to buy more since they are not inexpensive, and I don't know if I would end up throwing them out again. What do you think? BTW, I DID store them in the frig after opening.

boots
04-02-2003, 09:29 PM
I think the residue in your kalamata olives is just the olive oil they are packed in solidifying in the fridge. I've had the same thing happen in jars I've bought and even though it may look bad they're fine. I don't know just how long they should last but I'm sure a few months wouldn't be out of the question.

valchemist
04-03-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by boots
I think the residue in your kalamata olives is just the olive oil they are packed in solidifying in the fridge. I've had the same thing happen in jars I've bought and even though it may look bad they're fine. I don't know just how long they should last but I'm sure a few months wouldn't be out of the question.

I agree with boots. the solid junk is just solidified olive oil. I have kept olives for more than several months and they are fine.

Peggy C.
04-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Canice

Yeah, don't do that!;) :D I don't know but mabye vinegar would work.(?)

Zinnia
04-03-2003, 08:37 AM
A few days ago I typed capers in the search and came up with 14 different threads. I learned alot about them and admit I had never bought a jar until last week. This thread has been helpful as well.
At first, I could not believe how expensive they were and used other things in place of them. Then I saw the HUGE jar at Costco for the same price as the teensy jar at my local grocery store and bought it. I figured even if I use up half of them in the next 6 or so months it's worth it- or I could also give half the jar to my neighbor after I open it, lol.
Now all the recipes that called for capers and I didn't use them in, I am going to try them now. There aren't as many recipes as I thought there would be in the search, and I can tell a little goes a long way. I know I am going to love them though.
:) Zinnia

CompassRose
04-03-2003, 11:03 AM
I've had black sliced Kalamatas go mouldy on me, but never the green sliced olives. I think the kind of black olives I buy doesn't really have a strong brine, though (the only kind of sliced-in-jars black olives I can get here are Unico brand). Probably not enough salt in there to deter microorganisms.

Capers, though? Forever, yeah, unless the brine evaporates and they desiccate.

Leisa M
04-03-2003, 11:32 AM
What would you say about capers not stored in the fridge?

Shirley Ekstein
04-03-2003, 11:56 AM
If they haven't got green fluff growing up the sides of the jar, eat 'em.

oskie
04-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Uh oh, no reply from memartha on this thread today. Hope those capers were ok last night...
;)

Canice
04-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Leisa M
What would you say about capers not stored in the fridge?

If unopened?
See above!

memartha
04-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Oskie, I am alive and well! Nice to know someone cares! And I just returned home from the store with a NEW JAR OF CAPERS, which DD looked at and said they reminded her of "bunny poop." I'm sure THAT will kill this thread on the spot. Martha

oskie
04-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Phew! I'd hate to hear of a sensless caper-related death.