PDA

View Full Version : Linguine with mussels in a tomato-fennel sauce!

foodfiend
04-04-2003, 10:42 PM
I just had this tonight -- it's based on a tomato sauce recipe from Martha Shulman. It is very tasty! The kind of thing I'd have at a nice restaurant. I am very proud of myself at having made this. A few years ago, I wouldn't have been able to. Now I can have gourmet food at home that's also low-fat. Thanks to the BB for tips and recipes along the way.
If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know.

badunnin
04-04-2003, 11:00 PM
I'd love the recipe! Fennel is one of my favs!

foodfiend
04-04-2003, 11:39 PM
Here's my version of the recipe:

2 pounds mussels
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (important: this must be pureed)
1 fennel, chopped and diced
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 cup white wine
grated parmesan
linguine

Scrub and de-beard mussels then set aside. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and cook onions for 5 minutes, stirring. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add fennel and fennel seeds and cook until chopped fennel softens. Add tomato sauce and cook for 15 to 25 miniutes, stirring often. The sauce should be a thick paste. Add wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add mussels to the pot and put the cover on. Cook for 5 minutes or until mussels have opened. Salt and pepper to taste.
In the meantime, prepare linguine. Serve mussels over linguine. Sprinkle with parmesan.

SusanL
04-05-2003, 03:15 AM
looks great! Only wish DH would eat mussels! I am printing it out so that when he goes on a business trip, I can enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

yorkshirepud
04-05-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by SusanL
looks great! Only wish DH would eat mussels! I am printing it out so that when he goes on a business trip, I can enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

Will he eat fish at all? Shrimps perhaps? Here's a very similar recipe I have made twice over the last month - it's delicious. I do make a few changes, but I keep the recipe pretty much as is.

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38154&highlight=yummy

SusanL
04-05-2003, 08:15 AM
I am printing as I type! Sounds great, I will report back!!