PDA

View Full Version : Souffles

yorkshirepud
04-07-2003, 06:50 AM
Morning All :) , hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Quick question.

I made Chocolate Souffles yesterday after dinner and I'm just wondering what the texture was supposed to be like. I cooked them for the time specified and they certainly rose, but as I've never had one before, I wanted to make sure the texture was right.

It was kind of moouse-like. Is that right? I think maybe I was expecting something more cakey.

Btw, I made the Individual Chocolate Souffles from the 2001 Annual. They were good, but nothing spectacular. I won't be rushing to make them again.

Cheers. YP

meslgh
04-07-2003, 08:32 AM
YP, I'm not sure that I would describe souffles as mousse-like, but they certainly shouldn't be cakey. Maybe more meringue-like? Or maybe a mousse-meringue hybrid.

Anyway, sorry for the disappointment.

yorkshirepud
04-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Meslgh,

mmm ... I don't think I would describe is as meringue like. Perhaps I undercooked them. Do you mean they should have a slight crunch?

They weren't a disappointment as such. I guess because I didn't know what to expect, I probably imagined something different and it just didn't live up to it.

meslgh
04-07-2003, 07:42 PM
YP, I had hoped someone else would pop in and do a better job of describing souffle texture. I guess I'll give it another try. I was thinking of meringue pie topping, not meringue cookies. Souffles should be a lot lighter and airier than cake (even than mousse).

Ok, somebody help me out, and do a better job of describing souffle texture!

JHaris
04-08-2003, 01:19 AM
i've made a hot chocolate souffle and the texture is a bit thicker than that of a mousse. Unless you make what they call a "french" souffle which has a "runny" texture in the middle. I like the whole thing to have more of a solid texture, but definitely not of cake texture. That is too solid. The runny kind makes me feel that it wasn't cooked enough. This is one of my favorite desserts and one that my youngest son always requested for his birthday.

Only don't do what I did, as I posted a long time ago, by putting birthday candles in it. As I carried the souffle dish into the room singing Happy Birthday, I watched all the tall thin candles slowly sink down as they melted to the bottom of the souffle dish. Wasn't thinking. Next time, I put the candles in a styrofoam block next to the dish!

yorkshirepud
04-08-2003, 07:28 AM
I think perhaps I should of cooked it a little longer. I would say it had a mousse consistency, so another 5 minutes would of done the trick I'm sure.

Thanks.