View Full Version : Frozen Evaporated Fat Free Milk

04-13-2003, 08:21 AM
Hello Ladies,

Quick question.

I have some evaporated fat free milk in my freezer. Next week, I plan on making a pasta dish and need it for the recipe. Will the frozen be okay? Or, should I reserve this for baked goods (i.e. ice cream). I'm wondering whether the texture/flavour may have been compromised after being frozen. I have some cans of it in the cupboard so I can easily open a fresh batch if need be.

04-13-2003, 10:02 AM
I think you'd better use a fresh can for this recipe. I found the following quotes in the following articles:

Freezing evaporated milk is not recommended because it becomes watery when thawed, losing its consistency. Once opened, transfer unused evaporated milk to an airtight container, such as a screw-top jar, refrigerate and use within five days.

Do not freeze milk, cream, buttermilk, evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk. Freezing changes the texture and may cause separation of milk fat.

I hope this helps. :)

04-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks shoyski.

I think I better trash that milk in the freezer huh? Nevermind, there's only about 1/2 cup in there anyway.

Thanks for finding those quotes for me. I didn't mean for you to go to any trouble.

04-13-2003, 06:47 PM
No problem!! It's nice to be able to help out instead of always asking the questions. :p :D

04-14-2003, 06:38 AM
YP I wouldn't trash it, save it for baking. I freeze buttermilk all the time and use it for baking. But I wouldn't use thawed milk of any kind in pasta sauce.

04-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Well Loren, it's still in there so I guess it can say. I'll probably use this weekend anyway for homemade ice cream. To be honest, I have used frozen before, but only in baking. I agree, its probably best to use fresh for my pasta dish on Friday.

04-14-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by shoyski
It's nice to be able to help out instead of always asking the questions. :p :D

I know what you mean! ;)

04-14-2003, 06:45 PM
This sort of topic is always interesting to me because I hate having to waste half a can of something. Keep us posted on what you do with this milk, and if it works.

I will say that I successfully freeze coconut milk. We like the Pad Thai with Tofu recipe that appeared in CL a while back. The sauce calls for light coconut milk and uses only half a can. I freeze the rest; when I plan to make this dish again I put the frozen milk in the refrigerator a couple days before I need it (for some reason it takes ages to thaw) and then use it as I would fresh. It works fine.

I know that coconut milk is not really milk, but it does have fat in it like milk, so you would think this wouldn't work but it does. Really!

04-15-2003, 06:33 AM
K, I would freeze coconut milk too. In fact, I intend to later in the week when I need to open a can for 1/4 cup of the stuff.

I've used frozen evap. milk before. Can't recall what for, but I believe it was a baked good. I didn't detect any flavour problems.