PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Evaporated Fat Free Milk

yorkshirepud
04-13-2003, 07:21 AM
Hello Ladies,

Quick question.

I have some evaporated fat free milk in my freezer. Next week, I plan on making a pasta dish and need it for the recipe. Will the frozen be okay? Or, should I reserve this for baked goods (i.e. ice cream). I'm wondering whether the texture/flavour may have been compromised after being frozen. I have some cans of it in the cupboard so I can easily open a fresh batch if need be.

Thanks.
YP

shoyski
04-13-2003, 09:02 AM
I think you'd better use a fresh can for this recipe. I found the following quotes in the following articles:

Freezing evaporated milk is not recommended because it becomes watery when thawed, losing its consistency. Once opened, transfer unused evaporated milk to an airtight container, such as a screw-top jar, refrigerate and use within five days.
http://www.modbee.com/ag/story/6228082p-7175824c.html

Do not freeze milk, cream, buttermilk, evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk. Freezing changes the texture and may cause separation of milk fat.
http://www.landolakes.com/bakingbasics/ShowIngredient.cfm?IngredientID=9

I hope this helps. :)

yorkshirepud
04-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks shoyski.

I think I better trash that milk in the freezer huh? Nevermind, there's only about 1/2 cup in there anyway.

Thanks for finding those quotes for me. I didn't mean for you to go to any trouble.

YP

shoyski
04-13-2003, 05:47 PM
No problem!! It's nice to be able to help out instead of always asking the questions. :p :D

Gracie
04-14-2003, 05:38 AM
YP I wouldn't trash it, save it for baking. I freeze buttermilk all the time and use it for baking. But I wouldn't use thawed milk of any kind in pasta sauce.

Loren

yorkshirepud
04-14-2003, 06:02 AM
Well Loren, it's still in there so I guess it can say. I'll probably use this weekend anyway for homemade ice cream. To be honest, I have used frozen before, but only in baking. I agree, its probably best to use fresh for my pasta dish on Friday.

Thanks!

yorkshirepud
04-14-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by shoyski
It's nice to be able to help out instead of always asking the questions. :p :D

I know what you mean! ;)

ksrb
04-14-2003, 05:45 PM
This sort of topic is always interesting to me because I hate having to waste half a can of something. Keep us posted on what you do with this milk, and if it works.

I will say that I successfully freeze coconut milk. We like the Pad Thai with Tofu recipe that appeared in CL a while back. The sauce calls for light coconut milk and uses only half a can. I freeze the rest; when I plan to make this dish again I put the frozen milk in the refrigerator a couple days before I need it (for some reason it takes ages to thaw) and then use it as I would fresh. It works fine.

I know that coconut milk is not really milk, but it does have fat in it like milk, so you would think this wouldn't work but it does. Really!

Best,
K

yorkshirepud
04-15-2003, 05:33 AM
K, I would freeze coconut milk too. In fact, I intend to later in the week when I need to open a can for 1/4 cup of the stuff.

I've used frozen evap. milk before. Can't recall what for, but I believe it was a baked good. I didn't detect any flavour problems.

YP