PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Scout - Reception Invitation - What to do??

Luckyfeather
04-21-2003, 12:26 PM
We are invited to a reception in celebration of a relative (not a close one) earning/becoming an Eagle Scout. I'm not sure what to do and what is proper etiquette as far as a gift. Are there cards for this occasion? Should we take a gift, and if so what? Or, should we just attend the reception and that's it?

I would certainly appreciate any advice anyone can offer me. I want to be prepared to do what's "proper." Thanks!

MinEaston
04-21-2003, 12:38 PM
DH was invited to the ceremony/reception for a Scout whose project he reviewed, and he didn't take anything - just attended. Whether or not that was proper etiquette, I don't know. He may have written a congratulatory card. This probably doesn't help much, though. Sorry...

MusicMom
04-21-2003, 12:44 PM
I've attended a few Eagle scout ceremonies and receptions and none of them have made a big deal out of gifts. Hallmark hasn't ventured into this realm (yet!), so a simple congratulations card would be appropriate.

Getting the Eagle award is quite an achievement, so a small gift is a nice idea. We gave our nephew a wood box to keep his awards/pins in. A photo frame or one with a collage matte also might be a good idea so he could preserve his memories.

- Vivian

cookinator
04-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi Luckyfeather! Eagle Scout is very important and difficult to acheive. The young man has no doubt worked very hard and has arrived to the "Eagle's Nest". It is celebrated in many ways by a family, usually inviting family and friends to a party including food and special presentations. A card is always nice, and I usually include a check as a guy can always use $$. My DS is working on his Eagle Project which is the final step to reaching Eagle Scout. It is a life goal and highly regarded by the Boy Scout organization. In my DS's case it has taken 10 years. Hope this helps! Special cards are available at the scout store, however a congrat's card is just as good..

Little Bit
04-21-2003, 12:53 PM
My nephew had his ceremonies a few months ago. It definitely wasn't a very fancy or overly formal thing, not especially well-coordinated, either. I simply don't remember what was expected, gift-wise. I don't think we actually got him a gift for the occasion. Honestly, I think they were just glad to have a good crowd of family and friends there to honor his accomplishments.

I think I made cookies, though, because my sister was trying to make sure we had enough food for all those teenagers. :)

sneezles
04-21-2003, 12:56 PM
My DH was Scout Master for years and while invited to many Eagle Scout Ceremonies/Receptions we never brought a gift. If we couldn't attend (if the scout was from a different troop) we would send a card congratulating the scout on his success. I think either is appropriate and whatever you feel comfortable with.

MusicMom
04-21-2003, 12:57 PM
I'll digress and tell a story about my nephew. During his speech at his Eagle ceremony, he mentioned that his father told him it would be the second most important day of his life, next to his wedding day. My nephew said he wasn't sure about that- he could only have one Eagle ceremony!! (it was funny to us)

Grace
04-21-2003, 01:12 PM
I think savings bonds are always good gifts for kids' achievements. Just an idea.

Beth
04-21-2003, 03:19 PM
If you want to consider an Eagle Scout gift, they have them at scout shops. My kids are still in cub scouts, so I could tell you much about them but I think you will find at least some of them online at www.scoutstuff.org

stefania4
04-21-2003, 03:35 PM
What an accomplishment! When my cousin reached Eagle Scout, I believe my parents got him a small gift certificate for a local record store (back in the days of "records").

lakelady1
04-22-2003, 06:42 AM
The reception is typically held to acknowledge this incredible achievement and to thank all those who have supported the young man in achieving it by being important in his life as friends, family, role models, confidantes, etc. No gifts are "expected;" but never inappropriate. When a young man I was particularly fond of reached this goal, I went to an outdoor art type place and found a lovely sculpture of an eagle in flight . . . very masculine and Native American looking. It accompanied him to college and I understand from his wife that it sits on his desk at work now that he is all grown up.

Luckyfeather
04-22-2003, 06:51 AM
Thank you all so much for your replys and suggestions. I appreciate it very much. This is such a wonderful source for all kinds of information!

Wild Forever
04-22-2003, 09:22 AM
If it isn't too late, I'd like to mention that my brother got a really nice pen set (Cross, I think?) when he became an Eagle Scout.