PDA

View Full Version : Can I use all-purp. flour instead of cake flour?

cooksrhot
04-25-2003, 01:19 PM
I want to make the Sour Cream Pound Cake in this month's issue but don't have cake flour. I don't bake that much so I was wondering if it would be okay to use all-purpose flour instead of cake flour. I'm assuming cake flour makes baked goods more air-y and less dense...is that right?

Shirley Panek
04-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Here's what The Cook's Thesaurus (http://www.foodsubs.com) has to say:

cake flour = soft-wheat flour Equivalents: 4 1/2 cups cake flour = 1 pound Includes: self-rising cake flour Substitutes: pastry flour (This has more protein than cake flour but less than all-purpose flour. Cakes made with pastry flour tend to be a bit less delicate and crumbly.) OR all purpose flour (Substitute 7/8 cup all-purpose flour for each cup of cake flour and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch for every 7/8 cup all-purpose flour used. Cakes made with all purpose flour tend to be less delicate and crumbly.) Hints: These substitutions will perform better if you also do this: (1) Mix the batter as little as possible. (2) Separate eggs, beat the whites, and fold them into the batter

One note about substituting: Make sure you don't forget the cornstarch! I made the BA Lemonade Cake for Easter last Saturday and didn't have any cake flour. When I started to turn the cake over to cool I noticed it started sliding. I really didn't want to turn it over, but my mom said - "That's what the recipe says, you're supposed to cool angel food cakes that way." When I did the entire cake fell out of the pan - part on the counter, part on the floor. We were laughing hysterically. Then I remembered I forgot the cornstarch. I'm not sure if this is why it fell or some other reason, but just wanted to forewarn you. :) (BTW, the cake tasted delicious, even though it was just a huge blob on a plate. Needless to say it didn't make it to the Easter table. :D)

lhall
04-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Shirley beat me to it.

I have done the sub of 7/8 cup all purpose flour plus 2 T of corn starch. The recipe I used (Lemon Layer Cake with Lemon Curd and Mascarpone) called for beating the egg whites separately.

The cake did fine with the sub.

Leigh

sneezles
04-25-2003, 01:38 PM
I have done the sub as well but wanted to suggest that you sift them together beofre adding wet ingredients.

cooksrhot
04-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Shirley Panek

One note about substituting: Make sure you don't forget the cornstarch! I made the BA Lemonade Cake for Easter last Saturday and didn't have any cake flour. When I started to turn the cake over to cool I noticed it started sliding. I really didn't want to turn it over, but my mom said - "That's what the recipe says, you're supposed to cool angel food cakes that way." When I did the entire cake fell out of the pan - part on the counter, part on the floor. We were laughing hysterically. Then I remembered I forgot the cornstarch. I'm not sure if this is why it fell or some other reason, but just wanted to forewarn you. :) (BTW, the cake tasted delicious, even though it was just a huge blob on a plate. Needless to say it didn't make it to the Easter table. :D)

That's hilarious! That would DEFINITELY happen to me!

Thanks so much you guys. I may just go buy the dang cake flour instead. I'm thinking of adding almond extract and serving it with fresh strawberries.