PDA

View Full Version : Have you made Angel food cake w/out an angel food cake pan?

gymbrat75
04-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Has any made angel food cake w/out an angel food cake pan? I can't find mine anywhere have a craving for angel food cake. If you've done this, let me know how is turned out.

If i have too, i will stop and buy one after work...

d

Minky
04-25-2003, 04:46 PM
I have baked Angel Food cake in loaf pans before, and they turned out just great....I can't remember how many loaves one recipe makes, though:o

gymbrat75
04-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Maybe i'll try the loaf pan technique. i guess a round pan would be too shallow.
what about a springform? (it's a little deaper).

Chocolate Rose
04-25-2003, 04:48 PM
I also oftentimes use loaf pans. One recipe fits in 2 pans. They work just fine.

Tammy2268
04-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Have you ever tried baking a box of angel food cake mix and 1 can of pineapple tidbits (in own juice)?
Just mix the two together (dry mix) and pour into 9 x 13 pan. Sounds different, but it is really good and very low in calories and fat.

Little Bit
04-25-2003, 04:59 PM
I seem to think it's possible to use paper muffin cups to hold the batter, but I've never tried it. That would be my choice, since that would eliminate the need for slicing, and help with portion control.

Don't have a recipe with temperatures or times, though.

pattyp.
04-25-2003, 08:33 PM
I have a recipe for an angel food cake baked with a can of lemon pie filling. I am thinking of making it in 2 loaf pans. Has anyone tried this recipe? The pineapple sounds good too.

HejazSunKat
04-26-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Tammy2268
Have you ever tried baking a box of angel food cake mix and 1 can of pineapple tidbits (in own juice)?
Just mix the two together (dry mix) and pour into 9 x 13 pan. Sounds different, but it is really good and very low in calories and fat.

What size can of pineapple Tammy? And do you drain it or no?

ErinM
04-26-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by pattyp.
I have a recipe for an angel food cake baked with a can of lemon pie filling. I am thinking of making it in 2 loaf pans. Has anyone tried this recipe? The pineapple sounds good too.

Ooh, that sounds good! Could you post??? I don't own an angel food cake pan either...maybe someday soon, but I would love to be able to make them in the loaf pans I DO have.

Tammy2268
04-26-2003, 10:36 AM
It almost sounds TOO easy...

Take one box of dry angel food cake mix and one 20 oz. can of pineapple tibits WITH the juice...hand mix it up and pour into a 9 x 13 pan and bake. ALL done!! Except for the EATING PART!!!

TamiKnight
04-26-2003, 10:56 AM
I do the angel food cake mix with pineapple all the time. We love it, and it's my most requested "bring dessert" item. Funny, with all the beautiful, complicated things I make, this is the one everyone loves the most. I want to try it with canned peaches chopped up, but I haven't yet. It is important to use the one-step angel food cake mix. The two-step mixes don't work in this. I also usually go ahead and do mine in the tube pan, but the 9 x 13 works as well.

valchemist
04-26-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by pattyp.
I have a recipe for an angel food cake baked with a can of lemon pie filling. I am thinking of making it in 2 loaf pans. Has anyone
tried this recipe? The pineapple sounds good too.

Patty and Erin,

I have made this recipe that just consists of a box of angel food cake, a can of lemon pie filling, and coconut. It was pretty good, for something that is so low in fat. But I wouldn't say it was fabulous. It is really easy to make, though. I probably wouldn't make it again since there are so many other great desserts out there to try. But I would certainly eat it again if someone offered it to me!

Val

Take it to the Limit Lemon Bars

cake:
16 Ounce Angel Food Cake Mix
22 Ounce Can Lemon Pie Filling
1 Cup Coconut Flakes

frosting:
8 Ounces Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 Cup Butter, softened
2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Combine cake mix, lemon pie filling and coconut in medium bowl. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour into a greased 10" X 15" baking pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let cool.

Combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until well blended. Spread over cake.

It's best if refrigerated overnight.