PDA

View Full Version : can we start the Joy of Cooking Challenge early?

Abbey
04-26-2003, 08:00 PM
I don't know if I can wait until the agreed upon 'mid-May' date. I am enjoying cooking from it already..and I'm excited to post my reviews. Anyone interested in starting it slowly now...and others can jump in as they want to ?

Tonight I made Greek Lemon Soup. Pg. 105 in the New Joy.

It was so simple, so inexpensive...and tasted delicious. I had chicken broth in the freezer, and a bunch of lemons I needed to use up..so it was the perfect choice. It reminded me somewhat of risotto, creamy..like comfort food with elegance. A light soup..good for summer, but also very filling and satisfying too. We all agreed it's a keeper. I served it with a romaine salad with French vinaigrette dressing, and whole wheat garlic toast on the side. After working all day, it was nice to prepare something so nice, that needed so little preparation.

kima
04-26-2003, 08:12 PM
No way Abbey.....oh okay!:D :D :D :D

What an unruly class I have this year! But your enthusiasm is contagious!

I hearby declare the JoC Challenge open!:)

Abbey
04-26-2003, 08:27 PM
WOOHOO!

:D

I am going to try making chicken paprikash (pg.598) and spaetzle (pg.322) sometime this week. I've always wanted to make it...and I love saying "paprikash" with an accent. (doesn't Billy Crystal say it that way in 'When Harry met Sally'?) :)I also bought a spaetzle maker last month..and haven't used it yet.

so what are you up for Kima? I want someone to try the squirrel. ;)

Abbey

kima
04-26-2003, 08:41 PM
No way am i skinning a squirrel. And I have a squirrel buddy who visits our yard-i hope he doesn't read what you said!
I was looking at a couple of the tofu recipes and thinking that it would be cool to see how the JoC handles that "new" ingredient. Burt since i thought I had lots of time;) I haven't picked anything out yet.

i haven't even made my Moosewood recipes yet...:confused: :eek:

Canice
04-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Yipee! I will definitely make something from it this week.
kima, I guess I was whispering about boys or passing notes in class because I don't remember: Do we just pick whatever recipe strikes our fancy, make it, and report back? Is there one central thread for the JoC challenge or should we start a new one for each review? Also, does neatness count? ;)

TamiKnight
04-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Okay, I want to play (but I hope no one gets upset because we're copy-catting the Moosewood game at recess). I probably can't play for long, because MY students are sucking my soul out and I'm working like a maniac trying to finish the school year. However...this is what's on for tomorrow and Monday:

Sunday
Pork Tenderloin Scallopine with Citrus Balsamic Sauce
Baked Stuffed Zucchini
Braised Turnips with Pancetta and Leeks
Lemon Tart (with Shortbread Crust)

Monday
Stir-Fried Ginger Chicken
Baby Bok-Choi with Ginger Sauce
Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing (Sara Moulten Recipe)

They actually have a recipe for grilled hot dogs! If I get really busy, does that count!?! :D (Gotta love "The Yuppie Dog" with carmelized onions and Dijon mustard!)

I think the rest of the week will be out of the May CL. And of course, there's the current Bon Appetit (I think) with all the Mexican recipes. So many cooking challenges, so little time! We really must try to restrain our enthusiasm for these things, or my cooking ADHD will leave me so overwhelmed I'll just eat Taco Bell all week! :o

catbatty
04-27-2003, 02:25 AM
Oh good. I was hoping the Joy challenge would start soon.

I like the stuff all in one thread myself. Feels cozier and lasts longer.... :p (And for some of us who are less brave to attempt a review (ME)...we can hide our reviews in the thread instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.) But whatever you decide, oh challenge leader, is of great pleasure to all, I'm sure. :) Oh boy, oh boy.... gotta get my old book out...and maybe go to the library for the new book.

kima
04-27-2003, 10:34 AM
I am not the leader!!! I am a lousy leader! I am a sheep-a flying sheep!:D :D
With the Moosewood challenge we felt that there are so many threads on that book that it was way too confusing to have one long thread.
We could go with one thread but individual reviews are great-if one does a search for a recipe review and the name is in the title it simplifies things.
Don't worry about the reviews being masterpieces- mine never are.

Canice-neatness always counts!;) :p Now remember I am not the leader.:o

RebeccaT
04-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by TamiKnight
Sunday
Pork Tenderloin Scallopine with Citrus Balsamic Sauce

ooh, Tami, that recipe is SO GOOD! I think that was one of the recipes I was trying to think of when Abbey was asking for suggestions... I made it for my first "dinner party" a couple of years ago... it was all family, but I was still nervous as heck since I had never cooked for so many people before (I think we had 8 people... I have come so far since then! :D )

Another good side dish pairing with this recipe is the very simple, yet very good, Basmati Pilaf with Almonds and Cilantro from Jan/Feb 2001. We drizzled leftover sauce from the pork over the rice... mmmmmm! :D Enjoy!

I will try to join in the challenge this week, but I haven't chosen a recipe yet. I will let you all know what I decide! :D

Maureen, you sure are a good leader for not being a leader! ;)

TamiKnight
04-27-2003, 11:24 PM
I followed your advice, Rebecca, and made the Basmati-Almond Pilaf. It was a great accompaniment to the pork. I'm going to go post my four Joy reviews now!

catbatty
04-28-2003, 12:48 AM
Tami,

I enjoyed your reviews so much! Thank you.

HejazSunKat
04-28-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by RebeccaT
Maureen, you sure are a good leader for not being a leader! ;)

If she gets to be a problem you can just vote her off the island. :D

Since I have neither Joy nor a library I can't play but is it allright if I bug you guys to post recipes of some of the winners?

lakelady1
04-28-2003, 07:26 AM
Kima wrote "No way am i skinning a squirrel. And I have a squirrel buddy who visits our yard-i hope he doesn't read what you said! "

I can go on record as having actually eaten squirrel! My aunt and uncle lived in the country and we had squirrel stew one winter night when I was maybe 8 or 9 in the 1950s. Squirrel tastes about like you would probably expect a "tree rat" to taste (stringy and tough and strong if they are not cooked long enough; stringy and tender and less strong if they are cooked longer). It is not a pleasant memory.

TamiKnight
04-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by lakelady1
I can go on record as having actually eaten squirrel! My aunt and uncle lived in the country and we had squirrel stew one winter night when I was maybe 8 or 9 in the 1950s. Squirrel tastes about like you would probably expect a "tree rat" to taste (stringy and tough and strong if they are not cooked long enough; stringy and tender and less strong if they are cooked longer). It is not a pleasant memory.

Shoot. Guess I'll have to change tonight's menu plan!