PDA

View Full Version : And the song you never want to hear again is . . .

Chefzhat
05-07-2003, 06:31 AM
I was reading the "Crying Over Youuuuu. . . . " thread and saw some really great songs that I'd forgotten about, and a couple that, given the choice, I'd rather drill my own teeth before I listen to that particular song again! So, to get us started, I'll give my list!

Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf

I hope you Dance (I'm sorry, but if I hear this song one more time . . .

Old Time Rock and Roll - Bob Seager

Two words - The Macarena

Who's next??

Debie

SandyM
05-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Chefzhat
I hope you Dance - I'm sorry, but if I hear this song one more time . . .

Ditto.

It's really a good song, and perhaps I wouldn't mind it so much if they didn't play it to death.

Same goes with that Kid Rock/Cheryl Crow song. I loved it when it first came out, but now I have to turn it off.

I can only get a top-40 radio station at work, so I'm sorta stuck. Every time a shift changes, they play the same rotation.

I'm sure there are others - I'll probably be back. ;)

Chefzhat
05-07-2003, 06:39 AM
Thank goodness, I thought I was going to get tomatoes on that one! It is a good song, but please - not 50 times a day on every station; every store, every hold button, and every graduation party!

I forgot about "Picture of You" - that's got to go as well. Sheryl Crow must be sick of herself even, by now.

Debie

lhall
05-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Maniac from Flashdance. Hated that song then, hate it now.

Oh, and every different version of Rocky Top in existence played one after the other all in one evening. Why does DH think this would be fun?:rolleyes: It's not a bad song, really, but anything over and over and over again gets old really fast.

I can't comment on anything recent. I haven't listened to anything but NPR for about 2 years now. I've finally gotten fed up with regular stations running songs into the ground.

Leigh

MusicMom
05-07-2003, 06:52 AM
I agree about Picture . Also:

Your Body is a Wonderland (I certainly don't want my pre-teen daughter singing along with that song)

Drive all Night or any other hit by Celine Dion, for that matter. They seem to over-play her singles.

and Madonna's version of American Pie . Other groups have managed to do good covers of old songs, but this one was way out of whack.

the new Lisa Marie Presley song.

I'm sure there's more. I'll come back as they occur to me.

- Vivian

KValley
05-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Lawyers in Love Jackson Brown WHAT IS THIS SONG ABOUT??

Heartache Tonight The Eagles- the world's clunkiest song (and I LOVE the Eagles!)

Everybody Hurts REM (stick with esoteric and political, guys- leave the sap for Celine Dion!)

Mr Roboto STYX Never again, domo arigato gozaimashita!!

We Built This City Starship One word for this: AAAIIGGGHHH!!!

Next? (I'll be thinking about this all day!) :D

sneezles
05-07-2003, 07:39 AM
Any song from Grease, I hate that movie and most especially Summer Love! Although DH and a DH of a good friend did it together on karaokee on my birthday last year (my DH was Olivia) and I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants!!!

Concrete Angel by Martina McBride. I could have put this on the "makes me cry" list but not when they play it every 3 hours!!!

I'm sure there are others but I'm not very good about song titles!

kirkbyky
05-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Dream Weaver! I can't remember who sings it & I don't want to!!

There are plenty of others out there, but this one's the worst for me.

Kyle

badunnin
05-07-2003, 08:21 AM
*ducking*
Most of the new patriotic country songs. "Have You Forgotten" tops the list currently for me. The only one that doesn't drive me up a while is Alan Jackson's.

KristinK
05-07-2003, 08:21 AM
Anything by Avril Lavigne! I am so sick of her - her music is overplayed and her attitude is just obnoxious!

Mostly I get sick of any song that gets overplayed - but sometimes I'll like it again a year or two after it stops getting played. It bothers me when it's an artist I like - like with John Mayer, Your Body is a Wonderland was one of my favorite songs on the CD and now I change it whenever it comes on the radio.

Oh and I'm sick of Picture too.

jjsooner73
05-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Picture is one I like--but I NEVER hear it on the radio here. I had never heard it until my dad downloaded it from Kazaa, so now i have it on a CD in my cd changer.

I can't really think of any song I just hate to hear. Hmmm...anything by Britney Spears?

m4star
05-07-2003, 08:40 AM
I don't really listen to 'popular' music, but I really can't stand that Don Henley song Boys of Summer. I swear I hear it at every store, restaurant, bar, etc... I go into.

While I was last in europe no matter what country I was in there was always Hotel California playing and I'm really tired of that song too.

Wendy w
05-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Fun thread. Here's a bb classic started by Maureen:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14034&highlight=afternoon+delight

There are some real doozies mentioned here but currently, I have to say that I don't want to Hear Your Body is a Wonderland or Norah Jones' Don't Know Why ever again in this lifetime because of being overplayed on the radio.:rolleyes:

beacooker
05-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by badunnin
*ducking*
Most of the new patriotic country songs. "Have You Forgotten" tops the list currently for me. The only one that doesn't drive me up a while is Alan Jackson's.

I won't throw tomatoes at you, Badunnin. I find most of these songs too sappy. I might throw tomatoes at Sneezles, though, for hating Grease songs! ;)

There is a song by Tracy Chapman that just drives me up the wall - might be called Give Me a Reason to Stay Here ?? And I would be happy to never hear another song by Led Zeppelin again.

wallycat
05-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Anything that TV commericals have butchered and I can't stand having it repeated for the millionth time.

gertdog
05-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by badunnin
*ducking*

I'm with you on Have You Forgotten. That song doesn't just bother me, it deeply offends me. After listening to it once all the way through, I now change the station when it comes on. I like many of the other patriotic songs.

I could do without hearing the Titanic theme ever again.

I also agree with others about Picture- so overplayed!

I get sick of hearing Faith Hill songs reaallly fast. "This Kiss" is the one that comes to mind. I hate it when songs have catchy tunes and dumb lyrics so that when you catch yourself singing them, you're really embarrassed. "Cinderella said to Snow White, how did love get so off course- All I needed was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse." AAAAAAAARRRRRGH!

kirkbyky
05-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Wallycat
Anything that TV commericals have butchered and I can't stand having it repeated for the millionth time.

I hear that! It irritates me to no end, when a song that I absolutely loved has been sold to sell SUVs to baby-boomers. (no offense intended to baby-boomers who drive SUVs--just those d@mn advertising companies!)

Kyle

claire797
05-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by kirkbyky

I hear that! It irritates me to no end, when a song that I absolutely loved has been sold to sell SUVs to baby-boomers. (no offense intended to baby-boomers who drive SUVs--just those d@mn advertising companies!)

Kyle

Yeah, Applebees completely ruined Burning Ring Of Fire for me.

I'll share one of my dark secrets with you all. I cannot stand anything by U2. I don't know what it is about them, but I have to leave the room or change stations when U2song is playing.

JHolcomb
05-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by claire797

Yeah, Applebees completely ruined Burning Ring Of Fire for me.

I'll share one of my dark secrets with you all. I cannot stand anything by U2. I don't know what it is about them, but I have to leave the room or change stations when U2song is playing.

Bono gets to me. Anytime a "star" starts getting super-political and self-ritiuous (sp??) about a cause, I call it "going Bono." As in, "The Dixie Chicks have gone so Bono."

I like U2's music ok, though, just as long as I never have to hear Bono say anything. Ever.

The song I never want to hear again is "You Remind Me" by Usher. I hate that song, and I swear they play it twice an hour, even though it's old. I listen to the urban music station so I don't get as sick of a lot of pop as easily.

Oh, I also never want to hear another song that's been played in any Mitsubishi commerical. Ever.

claire797
05-07-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by JHolcomb

Oh, I also never want to hear another song that's been played in any Mitsubishi commerical. Ever.

Are those the commercials with the annoying bridge and tunnel kids?

Gracie
05-07-2003, 12:21 PM
My song choices are Muskrat Love and Come On Eileen. (I'm showing my age!!!)

I've been reading all these posts and generally agree that I also don't like most of the songs that are mentioned. And you know what? Now they're all stuck in my head!!! :D :D :D Who started this thread??? :D :D

Loren

HRJ
05-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Great thread, Debie!

First, I'll say that I agree with all the songs listed by Julie, and defend Sneezle for disliking everything from Grease. Also, Dream Weaver is pretty dreadful, too.

I will add:

The Joker Steve Miller Band.

Fooled Around and Fell in Love Elvin Bishop

Roxanne The Police. Also, that song they do about the teacher who lusts after the young girl.

Anything by Whitney Houston.

That Ironic song by Alainis Morrisett (I'm sure I've spelled her name wrong)

That song about a girl who dies or something after chasing after her horse -- what is it?? -- Wildfire, I think?

Sitting in the dentist's chair getting a tooth filled on Monday, I heard Please Come to Boston. Don't know what was worse -- the song or the dental work.

There's tons more, but I'll stop.

And, yes, The Macarena

Helene

muriel3002
05-07-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm surprised no one said anything about all those old Beatles songs... and all the remakes ad infinitum that have been done to death - esp. in elevators (muzak).

Anything by Captain & Tenille (echoing Muskrat Love) and Tony Orlando & Dawn.

Ditto to "Have You Forgotten" - nice song, but it's been over played.

I don't really listen to Top 40 radio because of the repetition and overplay.

JHolcomb
05-07-2003, 01:18 PM

Are those the commercials with the annoying bridge and tunnel kids?

If you mean the trendy dancing kids, yes.

I also want those stupid Zoom Zoom ads to die. DH and I actually have a list of cars that we won't buy because we hate the ads.

claire797
05-07-2003, 01:27 PM

If you mean the trendy dancing kids, yes.

Apparently, they're not trendy enough to get into any clubs. They have to spend the evening driving around and around dancing in their car.

Zoom Zoom Zoom.

Chefzhat
05-07-2003, 01:59 PM
hee hee hee hee:D :D :D :D

RobinC
05-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks sooooo much gertdog! Now I have that stupid Faith Hill song stuck in my head. :rolleyes: ;)

I can't stand the song Woman by John Lennon. Grates on my nerves to even think about it.

KValley
05-07-2003, 02:22 PM
She's a maniac, maniac on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Yeah, great, Leigh. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

:p

boisewinesnob
05-07-2003, 03:06 PM

I call it "going Bono." As in, "The Dixie Chicks have gone so Bono."

I think I'm going to steal that line from you; I love it :)

Songs I could live the rest of my life without ever hearing again:

I Need You America -- DH loves America and I wish I could find a way to "lose" this CD ;)
Ebony and Ivory -- I heard this song enough in high school to last 6 lifetimes :rolleyes:
We Are the World post-high school song that I thought would never go away :eek:
It's A Heartache by Bonnie something -- barf!

eas11
05-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Close To You The Carpenters
In fact, most sappy love songs :rolleyes:

Ellyn

PS:Don't be mad at me if this was your special wedding song, JMVHO, but it's OK if YOU love it!

gertdog
05-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by RobinC
Thanks sooooo much gertdog! Now I have that stupid Faith Hill song stuck in my head. :rolleyes: ;)

Sorry 'bout that. I really needed to purge it from my brain. Sometimes I think the only way to do that is to transfer the song into someone else's brain... :p

I love U2's music, but I also love Jen's "going Bono" phrase!!! :D He can definitely be on the self-righteous side.

ErinM
05-07-2003, 05:28 PM

Apparently, they're not trendy enough to get into any clubs. They have to spend the evening driving around and around dancing in their car.

Zoom Zoom Zoom.

On top of that, they don't even dance well, so really, no wonder they can't get into the clubs. The way this one chick dances, she reminds me of the Bionic Woman or something!

food girl
05-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by lhall

Oh, and every different version of Rocky Top in existence played one after the other all in one evening. Why does DH think this would be fun?:rolleyes: It's not a bad song, really, but anything over and over and over again gets old really fast.

I can't comment on anything recent. I haven't listened to anything but NPR for about 2 years now. I've finally gotten fed up with regular stations running songs into the ground.

Leigh

LOL! Leigh, please note my location! Can you imagine how many times I have heard Rocky Top? I have heard it played on the bagpipes, harmonica, violin you name it. I have seen grown men cry when it was played. I am revolted by Tennessee football - it ruins my fall.

As far as other songs I wish would vanish...

One more silver dollar - Allman Brothers and anything by Dire Straits, they just don't sound like they are trying at all.

Lisa