PDA

View Full Version : Cupcakes, Cupcakes and More Cupcakes . . .

betzross
05-07-2003, 12:38 PM
I am hosting an open house next Sunday between the hours of 4-6pm for 15-18 people. Since I cannot decide upon one cake/pie/cookie etc. for dessert, I've decided to make a couple different pans of cupcakes. So, I need your best and brightest cupcake ideas and/or recipes. Looking for recipes starring coconut, carrot, banana, strawberry . . .anything fun, different and, of course, yummy.

Also, is there a general rule of thumb when converting a cake recipe to cupcakes?

Thanks for your help!

Betsy

Lys
05-07-2003, 01:03 PM
If you have access to any of the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks, she has a fantastic recipe for coconut cupcakes (yum!!!) I think it is in the first book. Not sure about any rules, etc. about converting cake recipe to cupcakes....I wouldn't think that there was anything special that you would need to do to convert a recipe.... happy cupcaking!!!

ChristineB
05-07-2003, 01:27 PM
If you can get a hold of this months Good Housekeeping Magazine (Kelly Ripa on the cover) they have some ADORABLE cupcakes in there. They are decorated so beautifully. Definitely worth taking a look at!

Christine

I found a link that shows pics of a few of them:
http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/recipes/desserts/articles/0,,284504_573274-2,00.html

Linda in MO
05-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Technically these are muffins, but they are very cake-like and taste wonderful!

* Exported from MasterCook *

BURST O'LEMON MUFFINS

Recipe By :Taste of Home, Oct/Nov '99, pg. 27
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Muffin/Quick Bread

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup lemon yogurt -- (8 oz.)
1 large egg
1/3 cup melted butter
2 Tbs. grated lemon peel
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup flaked coconut
TOPPING:
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt.

In another bowl, beat the yogurt, egg, butter, lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the coconut.

Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and muffins test done.

Cool for 5 min. before removing from pan to a wire rack. (Lay a piece of foil under the rack to catch any drips from the glaze)

In a saucepan, combine the lemon juice and sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in toasted coconut.

Using a toothpick, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin. Spoon the coconut mixture over the muffins. serve warm or cool to room temperature.

Yield: 1 dozen

NOTES : Mine were done at 18 minutes. Try 375 next time.

granolagirl
05-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Oooh, oooh--cupcakes! Can I suggest my very favorite? Cupcake Cones!!

http://a444.g.akamai.net/7/444/703/20010810215002/www.marthastewart.com/images/content/recipe/cakes_00130_t.jpg

OK, I did a search for these to find a pic and wouldn't you know--Martha is on the bandwagon now?!?

My Mom used to make these for me when I was in grade school and I would bring them for birthday treats or whatever. Well, in high school my best friend and I got a brilliant idea to make them. And we made them ALL the time. Anyway, last night my friend was in town for dinner and I made these. :) Great fun! You can use any cake mix you want and just fill the cones about 2/3 full. Bake em and frost em. Mmmm! (Especially good if kids will be in attendance--or you have friends like me that, ahem, seem to still be about 6).

claire797
05-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by granolagirl
Oooh, oooh--cupcakes! Can I suggest my very favorite? Cupcake Cones!!

Yum! Those are the best!

Red velvet cupcakes are good too. Here's a link. I just made these the other day and they are yummy.

http://www.foodevents.com/cookbooks/ggand.phtml

I wouldn't use that icing recipe. Instead, use a basic cream cheese/sour cream frosting.

8 oz cream cheese
4 oz butter
1 pound sugar
1/3 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Tizzylish
05-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Lys
If you have access to any of the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks, she has a fantastic recipe for coconut cupcakes (yum!!!)

Here's her recipe, I haven't had a chance to try them, glad to hear a good review, I love coconut. :D

Coconut Cupcakes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3/4 pound unsalted butter -- (3 sticks) room
temperature
2 cups sugar
5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
14 ounces sweetened -- shredded coconut

For the frosting:
1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.

Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.

Meanwhile, make the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth.

Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.

Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved

Here's a recipe for brownie cupcakes that's really pretty easy, I use Ghiradelli brownie mix. You can use a homemade frosting if you have a favorite.

Brownie Surprise Cupcakes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 package fudge brownie mix -- (21 oz.)
15 miniature-size chocolate-coated caramel-topped nougat bars with peanuts -- or 15 dark chocolate-covered mint creams

Canned vanilla frosting
1 Small multicolored decorative candies
(optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Line fifteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Prepare the fudge brownie mix according to package directions. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the batter into each paper bake cup. Place a miniature-size candy bar or mint cream in each cup. Divide the remaining batter among the cups.
2. Bake in the preheated oven for 22 minutes. Let cool in pans on a wire rack. Cupcakes may dip slightly in center. Frost with vanilla frosting and, if desired, sprinkle with decorative candies. Makes 15 cupcakes.
Test Kitchen Tip: If all of the cupcakes do not fit in the oven at one time, refrigerate the unbaked extras until the first ones finish baking.

Description:
"Almost everyone loves brownies, and the hidden candy in the middle is
a nice surprise. Makes these for bridal showers and birthday and
office parties."

And a banana cupcake recipe for you, they both came from Taste Of Home.

Banana Cupcakes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/2 cup butter -- softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup mashed banana (1 small)
2 tablespoons butter -- softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Yellow food coloring (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Line eighteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in granulated sugar until well mixed. Beat in eggs and the 1 cup mashed banana. Beat in flour and baking powder until combined. (The batter will be thick.) Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.* Cool in muffin cups on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire rack.
4. For frosting, in a medium bowl, beat together powdered sugar, the 1/4 cup mashed banana, the 2 tablespoons butter, and the vanilla until smooth. Add several drops of yellow food coloring, if desired. Spread over cupcakes. Makes 18 cupcakes.
Test Kitchen Tip: If all of the cupcakes do not fit in the oven at one time, refrigerate the remaining cupcakes while the first ones bake.

Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 220 , total fat: 8g , saturated fat: 4g , cholesterol: 42mg , sodium: 121mg , carbohydrate: 37g , fiber: 1g , protein: 2g , other carb: 2.5diabetic exchange , fat: 1.5diabetic exchange

Description:
"You can sprinkle the cupcakes with cinnamon and sugar, but you'll
want them iced with banana pudding."

aliwally
05-07-2003, 05:07 PM
granolagirl - Are those just regular ice cream cones you use? They don't disintergrate when you bake, or go up in flames? I didn't know they were so resilient? How long do you bake them for? They look fabulous!

Robyncz
05-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Those coconut cupcakes sound fabulous! How many is that recipe supposed to make, 12 or 24?

PLEASE say it's 24, because there's no way anyone could use 3 sticks of butter for 12 servings of anything!!!!

Tizzylish
05-07-2003, 06:37 PM
18-24 cupcakes. :p That is alot of butter. :eek:

valchemist
05-08-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Robyncz

PLEASE say it's 24, because there's no way anyone could use 3 sticks of butter for 12 servings of anything!!!!

actually, it is 6 sticks of butter if you include the frosting. so 6 sticks of butter in 18-24 servings!

granolagirl
05-08-2003, 11:29 AM
aliwally, nope the cones stay intact! :) You just use regular ice cream cones (flat bottomed, of course) and fill them about 2/3 full with cake mix. Stand them up in a muffin tin. Then you bake them at 350, I think, for about 25 minutes. Cones are still crispy, cake mix is very moist and then the frosting on top is mmmm good.

Here's a link:

Martha Style (http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe1124&search=true&resultNo=20)

otherwise, just check the side of the ice cream cone box for recipes. :)