PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Walking Onions

bowie
05-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Last year my sister gave me some onions that pretty much grow wild in her garden. After taking it to the local farmer's market, I've been told that they are called "Egyptian Walking Onions". Well, this year I have a bumper crop. Ate a few last year and at that time they seemed pretty bland (though they smell pretty strong). So the question is.... is there anyone out there who is familiar with these onions who might be able to suggest a good recipe to help use them up?

Alethea
05-17-2003, 06:37 PM
I had never heard of these before, and was so enchanted by the name I tried to look for some info and recipes on the web (good ol' google), but I didn't find much. I read on some gardening/nursery sites that these are close to chives, garlic chives, and scallions, and most sources suggested using them raw as garnish. That said, I would mix them up with some other herbs in a soft goat cheese or good cream cheese, and make bruschetta.:) Or sprinkle them on soups, pilafs, or omelettes.

bowie
05-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Well, considering that the stalks are about as big around as my wrist, I really don't think they would mix well with goat cheese!!;)

They are very strange; about three feet tall (as thick as mentioned) and they get a huge bulb head on the top that eventually fall over, roots (if left alone) and then sends up more shoots which then repeat the process (hence, the name "walking"). I would imagine that the stalks and top are somewhat edible but the portion I've always tried is the root which is somewhat similiar to shallot but much milder and *cannot* (as I discovered last year) be substituted for shallots.

I just realized I can put a photo on here; maybe I'll try to get one on later so maybe someone out there will recognize them as something they are familiar with....