PDA

View Full Version : your phone number makes a map to your house

vbak
05-19-2003, 04:39 AM
This may have been posted before, but I wanted to share this with all of you. Go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com) and type in your area code and telephone number. This will provide your name, address and a map to your home. Check it out even if your number is unlisted. I removed ours from the list.

Vicky

beejayw1
05-19-2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks for posting this - it's gone around a couple times, but there are always people who haven't heard. I'm a privacy nut, myself, and removed my phone # and those of family members. If you're unlisted, by the way, I don't believe the address will come up.

On another angle, this has been available for at least 30 years. No, not online, but the ability to look up an address from a phone number has been around at least that long.

(Think of someone phoning during an emergency, losing consciousness and the address needing to be tracked from the phone number.)

Anyhow, remove your number and rest easy.

HejazSunKat
05-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Hmmm...it didn't work for me and I tried it several different ways. I guess that's good?

KCSoccer
05-19-2003, 11:03 AM
YIKES :eek: ! Ours is listed there. HOW DO YOU REMOVE IT??

Vicanddi
05-19-2003, 11:19 AM
It brought up my name and the city I live in, but not my address. Actually, it had my old name, not my married name, which our phone number is now listed under.

Ver strange! Thanks, Vicky, for sharing this. I never knew about it!:eek:

beejayw1
05-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by KCSoccer
YIKES :eek: ! Ours is listed there. HOW DO YOU REMOVE IT??

Try this link, which has the information on removing your number:

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39333&highlight=google+search+phone+number

If your number appears in the mapping database, an icon resembling a telephone will appear to left of the entry on the results page.

Click on this icon and it will take you to a page containing a description of the service, and a link to request your number be removed!

Recheck your phone # to be sure it has been removed. Also, if you have children, please check their phone # too!

vbak
05-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Diana, yes I knew that you could find out a name and an address from a phone number.Several times we have been billed for calls from a number I was not familiar with. A quick call to the phone company got me the name and address of the person who used our number as a billing party. The phone company took care of it.

Linda, I guess that's good that your name and a map didn't show up for your number.

I thought you could click on remove in the google website. I could be wrong.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this, but it has been a very trying day .

Vicky

beejayw1
05-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by vbak
I thought you could click on remove in the google website. I could be wrong.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this, but it has been a very trying day

vicky -

Please see my post, above yours. It has instructions on how to remove your name and number from the search.