PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clean your kitchen cabinets?

Mousie29
01-02-2001, 01:00 PM
WOW what a question. I love a clean house too. Despite this, I hardly ever clean the cabinets, but I will probably do it once a year. Ours are new from a re-model.

I am really impressed that you clean fridge so much. I am considered very neat and clean, but I hardly ever get to that stuff.

HARRYET
01-02-2001, 02:13 PM
food girl I'm with you, everything else gets clean, just not the kitchen cabinets. I do the bathroom cabinets and laundry room several times a year, but somehow the kitchen gets put on the back burner, so to speak. Sometimes I wonder if it's because we're always in the kitchen cleaning up and you just have that mind set that it's already clean.

My goal during this winter break was (or is) to clean the inside and outside of all my kitchen cabinets, so far I haven't even started, but we still have until Monday before the kids go back to school, I better start getting motivated!

Jodi
01-02-2001, 02:40 PM
I sometimes think I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, because I am a clean freak. I cannot just do the oven, or just do the fridge -- it's all or nothing with me. I knew it was bad one day when I found my fiancee's cheat sheet: He has a chart of our pantry divided into shelves as well as all of the cabinets, and he's written in each area what we keep there so that he doesn't put something away incorrectly. (And I swear I wouldn't be mad if he did -- at least he's helping!) Poor guy. Do I need to get a life or what?!?!
Jodi

Ohioan
01-02-2001, 04:15 PM
What??? You mean we're supposed to clean the cabinets???? Is that why there are all those little dust balls hiding among the stemware???? http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/wink.gif

And this from the woman who scrubs her stovetop every night and wipes out the sink with a damp sponge any time there's a single drop of water on its pristine steel surface... http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/rolleyes.gif

Cheers,
Phoebe

Tiger
01-02-2001, 06:16 PM
I'm a cleaner too. I get on my friends nerves when I start my spring cleaning. Before I had my son I did "big cleaning" twice a year, but now I only do it once a year, which includes cabinet cleaning. I figure when he's all grown up do I want his memory of me as cleaning! At the end of the day I'd rather have had a good day spent with my son, than a perfect house!

jd
01-02-2001, 10:28 PM
Another great thread - it made me go and wipe out my fridge! I don't do cupboard very often, but do the cutlery drawer every few months (just how do all those crumbs get in there?!).

food girl
01-03-2001, 12:30 AM
I consider myself to be a very clean person, but I have to admit that I just did the whole kitchen cabinet/drawer/pantry clean and wipe out - for the first time since we moved into our house. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/eek.gif I have cleaned the oven and refridge many, many times and I never leave the microwave or countertops dirty.

I think part of my problem is that I am only 5'3" and a lot of the dirt is above my eye level! Out of sight, out of mind.

I know that my Mom and most of my friends do this every 6 months, what about you guys? Am I the only one who puts this task off?

MrsReber
01-03-2001, 12:34 AM
To answer your question- no, you're not the only one who puts this off. I am only one inch taller than you so I can't really see up on those shelves to begin with. My husband usually ends up straightening them up for me because it drives him crazy. He made me a wooden step stool, but I still have trouble seeing things on the top shelf!

SueK
01-03-2001, 12:52 AM
I'm 5"8", so I can see when they get dusty, and I still put it off! I just did major weeding out of stuff (from many rooms in our house) over the holidays, so I guess that will be my "fun" chore for this coming weekend.

lindrusso
01-03-2001, 09:36 AM
My MIL is one of the few that I know does a spring and fall cleaning. I would love to do more, but once a year is about it for the kitchen cabinets and spring cleaning in general (come fall I usually wimp out). Like jd, I do certain drawers more often - like the cutlery and snack drawer - because they do have that mysterious way of gathering crumbs!

I do like to keep the fridge fairly clean and will clean that as needed, but at least once a year all the shelves and drawers come out to be washed thouroughly. There's just something about crusty, dried food that is gross, so I feel more need to clean the fridge than dust out the cabinets.

This month is my month to clean out ALL drawers and closets - the clutter is over-taking me!!!!

comabri
01-05-2001, 12:06 AM
And if anyone out there does de-clutter, feel free to contact me if you would like to send it along to someone in need. I help out in a soup kitchen that (unfortunately) has expanded out of necessity and even old cooking and baking utensils and other kitchen stuff if quite useful. I'd be happy to pay for shipping myself if anyone is interested!