PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a ham hock?

JennyLiz
01-02-2001, 11:24 PM
I served ham for Christmas and was thrilled to have a ham hock leftover. What potential for soup, beans, lentils etc! Now I can't find a recipe that appeals. Does anyone have a favorite?

Also, how long will it keep after the ham has been cut off? Thanks in advance. JennyLiz

MaryH
01-02-2001, 11:47 PM
Now all the southerners will correct me if I'm wrong (as I am another somwhat ignorant Californian), but you might check out the hoppin john thread (new year's food or something like that). I think you slow cook the black eyed peas with a ham hock. Run a search using "hoppin john" and you should pull up the thread.

Found it: www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/003041.html (http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/003041.html)

Also black eyed peas eaten at the start of a new year are supposed to bring good luck (another interesting fact from the BB).

[This message has been edited by MaryH (edited 01-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MaryH (edited 01-03-2001).]

Peggy
01-03-2001, 12:01 AM
JennyLiz,

I also served a ham for Christmas and have a leftover ham bone. My old stand-by is to use it to make Split Pea Soup. I have it wrapped up in the freezer right now until the soup weather arrives. (Here in Northern California we are having an unusual winter warm spell - 70 degrees and gorgeous! Normally it is in the 40-50 degree range during the day up here in January. Condolences to those of you in freezing temperatures!)

Anyway, I was going to use my favorite recipe but have seen positive postings about Vanessa's Split Pea Soup recipe. I just may have to try something new if I ever get around to searching for it on the bulletin board. Here is my old favorite just in case you want to compare it. It is very easy and we like it.

Split-Pea Soup

1 ham bone (left over from whole or half ham, preferably with enough meat left to make 1 1/2 cups)
1 - 16(oz) package split peas
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
7 cups water
1/4 teaspoon whole allspice
1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
1 bay leaf
salt to taste

In 5-qt dutch oven over medium het, heat ham bone, split peas, carrots, onion and water to boiling. Tie allspice, peppercorns, and bay leaf in cheesecloth. Add to bone mixture. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer one hour. Discard spice bag. Add salt to taste, if necessary. Remove ham bone to cutting board. Cut off meat and discard the bone. Cut meat into bite-size chunks and return to soup for serving. Makes 6 servings.

Peggy

P.S. To more directly answer your storage question, I just wrap the bone in foil and throw it in the freezer. I'm not sure how long it would be OK in the refrigerator.

[This message has been edited by Peggy (edited 01-03-2001).]

Vanessa
01-03-2001, 11:33 PM
Hi. To answer your question wrap the ham bone in alumn foil and freeze it that way you will have it when you make soup. You can use it for split pea soup, many bean soup, its specially good with navy bean soup.
Actually I froze some ham (leftover) so later during these cold spell we can have ham, cabbage soup.....

JennyLiz
01-05-2001, 10:29 PM
Thanks everyone! JennyLiz