PDA

View Full Version : Silly question: How do you keep your potholders/oven mitts clean

JHolcomb
06-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I've never had any luck with washing dirty potholders and oven mitts. They always come out of the washer looking sorta mangled. So how do you guys keep yours clean? I'm sick of having to buy new ones every couple of months :o

funnybone
06-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by JHolcomb
They always come out of the washer looking sorta mangled.

Join the club! I have several different ones. I find that I use the old ones for dishes that will be messy. Sometimes spot cleaning is all that is needed and not a total wash too.

Shirley Panek
06-04-2003, 03:10 PM
I wash mine, but definitely notice a difference in quality between my mitts. I have one heavy duty mitt (maybe a Pampered Chef? I definitely have to get another one, regardless of who makes it!) that does great in the washer, as well as a heavy duty square pot holder. The pot holders that have very thin (possibly polyester) outer shell, however end up shredding in the washer. I think it's because they may get a little scorched, which I can't tell unitl after I pull them but of the washer. I haven't tried setting the washer cycle on delicate, however, so that might make a difference in my cheaper pot holders.

LaraW
06-04-2003, 04:05 PM
I just put them in the washer and replace them as needed. I should buy some of those silicone things that can go in the dishwasher.

Searcher
06-04-2003, 04:10 PM
I really use my potholders hard. Just today, I used one to help turn over a really heavy roast beef. Tomorrow, I'll use some Oxiclean that I've mixed with water to squirt over the whole area, then throw in the washer and dryer. They always seem to come out well and I've not noticed any difference between the new and the very old ones.

KathrynY
06-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Just a suggestion - how about tossing them into a hosiery bag, and see if that helps with the mangling problem?

http://images.buy-here.com/ohp/052703/images/mview/8938_27993_ohp1M.jpg

06-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Mine get tossed in the washer and dryer with the dish towels, napkins and placemats. They never dry thoroughly, so I take them out of the dryer and let them air dry or hang them outside. They always look a bit mangled when they come out of the wash, but look ok when they dry. My mitts, always dark colors that don't look as dirty as they really are, are from WS and they have held up well.

sunberst
06-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by JHolcomb
I'm sick of having to buy new ones every couple of months :o wow! i have pot holders that are my mom's hand-me-downs that are 20+ years old! i never thought of oven mitts as a monthly purchase!:p

that being said, i just wash mine in the wash machine with a load of towels. they sometimes get "mangled" looking, but i never thought of throwing them out because of that reason. even if i am entertaining, the food in the dish covers the ragged pot holder & i doubt anyone ever notices.

only a few of mine are what i would call "mangled". most hold up pretty well for me in the washer. and they are just cheapy wal-mart quality ones.

Dyanne
06-04-2003, 07:50 PM
I have some Villeroy and Boch (don't be impressed - it was the outlet!) mitts that are creamy white with a little repeating blue leaf. I commonly get dark red or brown or black stains on them, especially the thumbs. They've held up very well, even though I send them through a hot water-heavy dirt-bleach cycle every month or so. I definitely think it must be the brand if you're replacing them so often. I would suggest getting either a set in a light color so you can bleach them to remove stains, or getting a VERY dark set to hide the stains in the first place.

BTW, those square silicon trivet things are not all they're cracked up to be. The tag says you can use it as a potholder, but 1. it's awkward, 2. if your hands are wet, you can't get a good grip, and 3. if even just a little oil or grease gets on them, they are way too slippery to lift a pot or grip a handle. I haven't tried the weird gripper mitt made of silicon that allows you to put your hand in BOILING WATER-- ?why? -- but it looks so cool!

Dyanne

shoyski
06-04-2003, 08:43 PM
Dyanne, so good to hear someone else chime in that the silicon pot holders are awkward. Thank goodness I purchased one on sale. I haven't tried the mitt but I agree that the sqare ones are not going to make it in this house. :(

Andrea Wood
06-04-2003, 08:46 PM
I have found that if I dirty a potholder, just popping it into the sink with my dishwashing liquid does a fairly good job and a lot of time is saved between doing that and waiting for laundry day. Then, after washing and rinsing, I just lay it on the counter and allow it to air dry. I imagine that some of the dishwashing liquid like Dawn that removes grease well would be especially good for this.

Andrea

TamiKnight
06-04-2003, 11:01 PM
I just toss my potholders in the washer and dryer with the towels. My mitts, however, I wash with the towels, then hang up to dry. Before I hang them, I put my hand inside them and reshape them. They hold up pretty well this way.

Svadhisthana
06-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Dyanne

BTW, those square silicon trivet things are not all they're cracked up to be. The tag says you can use it as a potholder, but 1. it's awkward, 2. if your hands are wet, you can't get a good grip, and 3. if even just a little oil or grease gets on them, they are way too slippery to lift a pot or grip a handle. I haven't tried the weird gripper mitt made of silicon that allows you to put your hand in BOILING WATER-- ?why? -- but it looks so cool!

I was surprised to read this. I love mine. Wet hands were my number one reason for buying it. I no longer have to worry about the heat going through a fabric one and burning my wet hand-and if they get dirty I can just toss it in the sink.

ISAIAH30_18
06-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Gee, don't I feel like a slob...it's never even occured to me to wash them!!!!! And dare I say 2 of my favorites are nearly 10 years old!!! :eek:
But, in my defense, I don't recall any food on them. Now I'm paranoid though....I'll have to check them tonight.

hhmmmmm, wash potholders.....learn something new everyday. :p

JHolcomb
06-05-2003, 09:29 AM
I am pretty anal about my potholders and my kitchen in general. I don't like having a dirty potholder hung up where I can see it. I don't toss out all the dirty/mangled ones, I just don't keep them out where I can see them (which means I can't easily reach them). Eventually, though, DH will hang one of the dirty ones up and it totally makes me nuts (though I keep that little bit of insanity hidden deep, deep inside and would never say anything to him about it). So I'm going to try the washing them in the sink method.

Oh, this is only for my cheaper, decorative potholders, like from Target. The nice ones (my Kitchen Aid one) aren't a problem to wash. I may check out the W-S ones, though.

LaraW
06-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Jen, I have cheapie potholders from target as well. They are made out of a heavy terry-cloth type material, so maybe that is why they hold up OK in the wash. They are cheap, $5 or so for each one.

MinEaston
06-05-2003, 11:35 AM
Um, I'm just like ISAIAH30_18. Occasionally I'll wash mine if they get a bunch of food on them (like when you grab a lasagna and the thumb gets a little too close to the cheese on top :D ). But I hide mine in a kitchen drawer instead of hanging them out where they can be seen. I try to avoid bringing them to the table when there's company to see, too!

wallycat
06-05-2003, 11:43 AM
I toss in the washer and replace as needed.