PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life of Pure Almond Paste??

Peggy
06-09-2003, 01:15 PM
I bought some pure almond paste last week for a torte recipe. After I opened it and used only 2 tablespoons I read on the box that you can refrigerate it for up to two weeks. Are they serious??? Is this stuff only OK to keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator???!!! This is the first time in my cooking career that I have had a need for pure almond paste. It is highly doubtful that I will be using it again in the next two weeks. Next year, perhaps, but not in two weeks!

Anyone have an experience with storing it longer? The package says you can't freeze it, so I may be stuck. Any insight on this will be appreciated.

Peggy

swquilts
06-09-2003, 01:28 PM
I wonder if you couldn't freeze it? Maybe wrap it in plastic wrap and put into a ziplock with all the air squeezed out?

*Random thoughts by someone who has no clue! :cool: *

valchemist
06-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Peggy,

almond paste has a long shelf life. you don't even need to put it in the fridge/freezer. I have had almond paste wrapped in a ziplock in my pantry for months and it has been fine.

here is a great recipe for you to use your remaining paste in. This is one of my all-time favorite recipes.

Val

* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond Streusel Rolls

Recipe By : The Best of Country Cooking
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pkgs active dry yeast -- 1/4 oz each
3/4 c warm water -- 110-115 degrees
3/4 c warm milk -- 110-115 degrees
1/4 c butter -- softened
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
5 1/4 c all-purpose flour -- (5 1/4 to 5 1/2 cups)
filling:
1/2 c almond paste
1/4 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
topping:
3 tbsps sugar
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp butter
icing:
1 1/2 c confectioner's sugar
1 tbsp milk -- (1 to 2 tbsp)
1/4 tsp almond extract

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand 5 minutes. Add milk, butter, sugar, eggs, and salt; mix well. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth.Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place into a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Roll out to a 15x10 rectangle. In a mixing bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over dough. Roll up jelly roll style, starting with a short side. seal the seams. Cut into 12 slices. Place in a greased 13x9 baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over rolls. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over rolls.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 471 Calories; 13g Fat (25.0% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 80g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 57mg Cholesterol; 288mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Grand prize winning recipe.

lorilei
06-09-2003, 01:42 PM
This would have been excellent news for me, had I not already thrown my leftover almond past away (two or three times now, for that matter).

My theory: the paste would probably go rancid FASTER than whole almonds would (for obvious reasons), and so keeping it for too long (let alone at room temperature) would be a mistake.

Will have to try saving it next time.;)

valchemist
06-09-2003, 01:49 PM
I think the reason it doesn't go bad is that the sugar preserves it.

lorilei
06-09-2003, 02:21 PM
I thought PURE almond paste was sugarless... as opposed to marzipan (which has the sugar in it). At least I think mine was.

EDITED TO SAY:

Well, I looked it up, and apparently both have sugar, but marzipan has more... so I was mistaken.

I wonder why they put the "two week" guideline on the label...

valchemist
06-09-2003, 04:08 PM
I found this on www.americanalmond.com

I have some Almond Paste left over. How should I store it?

That depends on when you will need to use it again. For example, if you only use the paste for holiday baking, we recommend you remove it from the original container, place it in a resealable plastic container or bag , and store it a cool, dry place. Freezing will not harm the paste.

If you use nut pastes often, just cover the original container with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying, and store it in a cool, dry place.

valchemist
06-09-2003, 04:10 PM
and this on another website...

Almond paste: made of blanched almonds, sugar and glycerin (or another liquid). It is less sweet and a bit coarser in texture than marzipan, which contains more sugar and oftimes egg whites. (Note: almond paste and marzipan cannot be successfully interchanged in recipes, despite their like base.) Almond paste can be stored in the refrigerator up to two years. A hot pantry will hasten rancidity.

I have read that if you refrigerate almond paste, it becomes difficult to work with. So if you have a cool place to store it other than the fridge, that would be better.

Peggy
06-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Val -

Thank you so much for all of this information! The manufacturer of my tube obviously wants to make some money by writing on the box that it's only good for 2 weeks in the refrigerator and telling me not to freeze it!:mad: I thought that sounded fishy!!

Your recipe for Almond Streusel Rolls looks fantastic! I will try it after I reach my Weight Watcher goal. (Only 5 more pounds to go!!:p) At least I now know my almond paste will still be good!

Thanks for all your help!

Peggy