PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn!

muriel3002
06-11-2003, 09:03 AM
What's your favorite popcorn flavor?

Recently I've become bored with the same old butter and salt flavor, and tried a box of Pop Secret's toffee popcorn! Oh my! Oh My! This is amazing! Our neighbor in our building said my apt. smelled like maple syrup.... It was so good! And the calorie count was the same for the toffee as for the other flavor.

Last night I was craving this popcorn while we were watching Last Comic Standing, but only had the regular kind. So, I melt 1 tbsp. of butter in a saucepan and added about 3x the amount in maple syrup, let it "simmer" a bit. When the popcorn was done, I tossed this in there. It wasn't too much, so we didn't get "candied popcorn" but just lightly enough to flavor it.

So, does anyone here do anything interesting with popcorn??? I'm looking for new avenues to explore!

vbak
06-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Garlic powder and parmesan cheese.

Vicky

wallycat
06-11-2003, 10:00 AM
olive oil, salt & pepper :)

but both of the ones listed sound really good ;)

TLee4
06-11-2003, 10:18 AM
I recently tried Kettle Corn (salty/sweet) which is REALLY good, but of course bad for you. So I bought some LF popcorn, and I'm going to sprinkle some Splenda on it and see how that tastes...

Terri

shscharles
06-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Ditto Vicky and sprinkle with chipotle chile powder, curry powder or Tabasco. Yikes, I'm hungry again!:rolleyes:

RebeccaT
06-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by TLee4
I recently tried Kettle Corn (salty/sweet) which is REALLY good, but of course bad for you. So I bought some LF popcorn, and I'm going to sprinkle some Splenda on it and see how that tastes...

I often make "poor man's Kettle Corn" here at work - microwaved LF popcorn, and as soon as the bag comes out of the microwave, dump 2 packets of sugar into the bag, hold it closed and shake... it's not as good as Kettle Corn, but it does have that sweet/salty thing which is just the ticket when you have the 3:30 PM munchies!! :o :D

I don't really like the microwave kettle corn, but if you ever get the chance to try REAL kettle corn, made in a huge copper kettle with Extra Fine granulated sugar, it is so worth it!

badunnin
06-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Kettle Corn does come in a LF variety from Orville Redenbacher. I love the stuff. Powdered sugar or extra fine work great to sprinkle on, as Rebecca said. It gets in the nooks and crannies better.

Chocolate Rose
06-11-2003, 11:24 AM
We LOVE popcorn here. It's become our standard afternoon snack.:D I mostly like the savory flavors (parmesan and garlic is the current fav) rather than sweet. In fact, I never liked the sweet kind of popcorn (even caramel corn) but here is a recipe we like occasionally that is pretty decadent.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Snooty Popcorn

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Miscellaneous

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
6 blocks almond bark
1 bag regular microwave popcorn

WARNING! This is VERY addictive! Kids and adults love this!
Pop bag of popcorn. In huge bowl, microwave almond bark until almost melted. Then stir in peanut butter and melt it all together for about 30 more seconds. Stir in popcorn to mix. Spread out on wax paper and let cool. (It's okay if it's in small clumps!) Store in tight container!
This is wonderful for Christmas gifts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : I used 6 ounces of chocolate chips in place of the almond bark. I also like to use a mix of chocolate and butterscotch chips.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0

TLee4
06-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the tips on Kettle Corn! I'll also let you know if it works well with the Splenda.

Terri

purplefishy
06-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Old Bay!! Yum. In Annapolis area movie theaters you can usually even find old bay at the movie theaters to sprinkle on your popcorn.

I have a relative that puts lots of hot sauce in the oil in the pan when he pops his own popcorn -- quite tasty.

karen w
06-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Plain! :rolleyes: I know...That's too boring! Hey, but I like it! I HATE kettle corn or any of the sweet kinds!

Karen

WWShannon
06-11-2003, 06:49 PM
After reading your post, Chocolate Rose, I am curious as to what is almond bark? I don't think I have come across this yet.

Thanks,
Shannon

Chocolate Rose
06-11-2003, 09:13 PM
LOL! Shannon, that's part of the reason I didn't use it. I don't really know what it is. I think it's a fake kind of candy coating kind of stuff. I know that I've seen it in other recipes. Whenever I come across it in a recipe I just substitute some kind of chocolate. :D

Maybe someone else can fill us both in??

cher48603
06-11-2003, 09:33 PM
I really didn't care for the microwave kettle corn either (but I love the "real stuff"). I've recently become hooked on Orville Redenbacher's Honey Butter Popcorn. YUM YUM!!

Jewel
06-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Light microwaved popcorn sprayed with garlic cooking spray, then sprinkled lightly with garlic powder or garlic salt and a touch of ground chipotle and tossed with a spoon until evenly coated. Heaven... or if I want to speed things up Molly McButter makes a few great sprinkles that I use as well. The Roasted Garlic or the Cheddar Cheese is really good, and the cooking spray helps it stick to the popcorn without adding any fat or calories! :)

ReneeV
06-12-2003, 08:00 AM
Hi All,
Almond bark is the same thing as confectioner's coating or those little "chocolate" melting disks they sell in craft and cake decorating stores. The cocoa butter in the chocolate, has been replaced with vegetable oil so that the coating remains stable when melted. This way, it doesn't require tempering.

I think the term almond bark was coined a long time ago, when this type of chocolate was used primarily to make almond bark candy or clusters by the homemaker who didn't have the time or equiptment to temper chocolate. Sometimes this coating is called Summer Coating or Summer bark, because it stands up the summer heat and humidity much better than real chocolate.

Renée

WWShannon
06-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Renee,
Many thanks for the information regarding almond bark. I would have never guessed that it is the little discs used to make decorative candies that do not melt "in your hands." Many thanks again for the clarification....
Shannon

imloulou
06-12-2003, 11:59 PM
purplefishy...Yes! Old Bay is great on popcorn...and fish, and chicken and shrimp and crab...and just about anything!

I also like Plain Popcorn...melt a little butter (for the stick-to factor) and sprinkle on Parmesean cheese and Nutritional Yeast flakes....YUM!

That is my FAVORITE way to eat popcorn.

Lisa