PDA

View Full Version : Deviled Eggs

RobinC
06-13-2003, 12:59 PM
I need to make deviled eggs for two barbecues this weekend.
Does anyone have a good recipe they would like to share?

Searcher
06-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Hi Robin,
Here's some from Cook's Illustrated. They're pretty good, generally I don't add the Worcestershire sauce but taste often during the mixing. If you have some Foxpoint Seasoning from Penzey's, I think it's pretty good in deviled eggs.

Best Deviled Eggs
We set out to perfect this traditional picnic standby.

CLASSIC DEVILED EGGS
Makes 1 dozen filled egg halves
If all of your egg white halves are in perfect shape, discard two. During testing we found it usual for a couple to rip at least slightly, which worked out well because it meant the remaining whites were very well stuffed. If you have a pastry bag, you can use it to fill the eggs with a large open-star tip or a large plain tip. If not, spoon the yolk mixture into a sealable plastic bag. Snip a small piece from one corner of the bag and then gently squeeze the filling through the hole into the egg halves.
7 large eggs, cold
teaspoon grainy mustard
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoons cider vinegar (or vinegar of your choice)
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and ground black pepper

1. Place eggs in medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water, and bring to boil over high heat. Remove pan from heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fill medium bowl with 1 quart cold water and about 14 ice cubes (one tray). Transfer eggs to ice water with slotted spoon; let sit 5 minutes.
2. Peel eggs and slice each in half lengthwise with paring knife. Remove yolks to small bowl. Arrange whites on serving platter, discarding two worst-looking halves. Mash yolks with fork until no large lumps remain. Add mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper to taste; mix with rubber spatula, mashing mixture against side of bowl until smooth.
3. Fit pastry bag with large open-star tip. Fill bag with yolk mixture, twisting top of pastry bag to help push mixture toward tip of bag. Pipe yolk mixture into egg white halves, mounding filling about inch above flat surface of whites. Serve immediately.
DEVILED EGGS WITH ANCHOVY
AND BASIL
Rinse, dry, and finely chop 8 anchovy fillets. Mince 2 tablespoons basil leaves. Follow recipe for Basic Deviled Eggs, mixing anchovy fillets and 2 teaspoons minced basil into mashed yolks along with mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, Worcester-shire, and salt and pepper. Continue with recipe, sprinkling filled eggs with shredded basil.
DEVILED EGGS WITH TUNA,
CAPERS, AND CHIVES
Drain and finely chop 2 ounces canned tuna (you should have about cup). Rinse and drain 1 tablespoon capers; chop 1 tablespoon chives. Follow recipe for Basic Deviled Eggs, mixing tuna, capers, and 2 teaspoons chives into mashed yolks along with mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, and salt and pepper. Omit Worcestershire. Continue with recipe, sprinkling filled eggs with remaining teaspoon chives.
May, 2000
By Bridget Lancaster and Barbara Bourassa

lhall
06-13-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't have a recipe perse. I use some pickle relish, mustard for color (yes, the nasty yellow stuff I hate), mayonnaise, and a little salt. Then I sprinkle them with paprika when they are assembled. I just add a little mustard and mayo at a time. The hard part is getting them creamy while still having them taste like eggs.

I have a friend who dislikes mayo so she only uses yellow mustard. I loathe her deviled eggs because the only taste like mustard, nothing like eggs at all.

Leigh

Peggy C.
06-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by RobinC
I need to make deviled eggs for two barbecues this weekend.
Does anyone have a good recipe they would like to share?

LOL I was going to ask you how you make yours on the klatch thread. I only made them once or twice and they weren't very good. Edible, not great.

RobinC
06-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Keep 'em coming! These are looking good. Let's see, I am okay with mayo (so I won't be having mustard eggs), I like some relish in them, I have Penzey's foxpoint in my cupboard, I'm a big fan of Cooks' Illustrated, and I even have a pastry bag with a large star tip to pipe the filling in the egg halves. :D

RobinC
06-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Peggy C.

LOL I was going to ask you how you make yours on the klatch thread. I only made them once or twice and they weren't very good. Edible, not great.

As soon as I posted it on the klatch thread I thought I had better figure out how I was going to make them. ;)

keg64
06-13-2003, 01:29 PM
I add light mayo, dijon mustard, minced onion, and crumbled bacon. I sprinkle with paprikah but looking forward to trying the new penzy's spice when it arrives. YUM...I might need to make soon!

cindyluwho
06-13-2003, 01:34 PM
I recently made some where I mashed the yolks with some mayonnaise and some Trader Joe's maple horseradish mustard...pretty good, but I would add some salt next time, because they were a bit too sweet for my taste.

seannasad2k
06-13-2003, 02:43 PM
mayo, dried mustard, celery seed, salt, and then some paprika sprinkled on top...

Peggy C.
06-13-2003, 02:53 PM
I have used horseradish in them for alittle kick. But I think they need something else. Something green, herby.

msbeehavn
06-13-2003, 03:52 PM
When we had our barbeque get-togethers at friends' houses I wasn't allowed in unless I had, #1 My deviled eggs and #2 My chocolate chip cookies. Needless to say I was making HUGE amounts of deviled eggs. I basically would follow the Betty Crocker recipe which is mostly mayo with a small amount of mustard and a dash of vinegar, a little salt and pepper. Nothing fancy. I would also sometimes add a little horseradish, not the creamed stuff just the grated horseradish. When I went to fill the whites I would use my "Super Shooter" cookie press which is electric. Put a fancy tip on and it makes filling them a snap! They also look really nice without all the work. Then I would sprinkle them with paprika or depending on the crowd attending I would sprinkle a little cayenne pepper. :)

RobinC
06-16-2003, 01:08 PM
The deviled eggs this past weekend were a big hit. At yesterday's picnic, lots of people just stopped at the store and bought something from the deli or the snackfood aisle. My homemade deviled eggs were gobbled up very quickly - even before the second bag of chips were opened. :P

Thanks to everyone who posted recipes. I pretty much went with the Cooks' Illustrated recipe.

Canice
06-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Glad the eggs were a hit, Robyn!
I missed this thread before, but was wondering, Peggy, whether a few very finely sliced chives might the thing?

Peggy C.
06-17-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Canice
Glad the eggs were a hit, Robyn!
I missed this thread before, but was wondering, Peggy, whether a few very finely sliced chives might the thing?

I couldn't think of what at the time, but yes I think chives or maybe even just a little dill would be great! Thanks Canice.