PDA

View Full Version : PF Chang's brown rice??

EmilyK
06-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Okay, so I absolutely love the brown rice you can get at PF Chang's China Bistro. But, my question is: How can I make this at home?

I bought some Brown Nishiki rice from the grocery store, but it seems to cook up a lot mushier than the rice they have. We tried adding a little less water, but it turns out the same. The instructions tell you to cook it for 50 minutes (on the stove) and then sit for 10 minutes. I do not have a rice maker, so that really isn't an option either.

Hope somebody can help!!
Emily

laughsandlaughs
06-18-2003, 01:52 PM
I wonder the same thing. Looking forward to the suggestions!!

brendat4
06-18-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry I won't be of much help but I am curious about this too! Some friends and I were JUST talking today about the brown rice at P.F. Changs! They are supposed to be building one out near us in the next year (so we won't have to drive into Houston anymore..wahoo!). Hopefully someone can help.

Have you asked them specifically what type of rice they use?

EmilyK
06-18-2003, 02:27 PM
I've actually only been there one time when I was in Indy for a conference, but there is one here in Cincinnati!! I didn't ask at the time, but I really liked it a lot! It makes me feel better that there are other people out there curious about it, too.

wallycat
06-18-2003, 03:37 PM
I haven't had it yet, but I wonder if they either soak and steam the brown rice, or if they are using instant brown rice :rolleyes:

little_bopeep
06-18-2003, 08:57 PM
There must be something wrong with me...I don't care for their rice At All. Wonder why? Maybe I was expecting more of a fried rice than just plain brown. Ah, well...to each her own. :cool:

catharine
06-19-2003, 09:18 AM
I haven't heard of Nishiki rice, but I use short grain brown rice, and it comes out really well (but then again, I use a rice cooker).

meslgh
06-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Catharine, can I pick your brain on making brown rice in a rice cooker. We've tried several times, and it seems to stay underdone. Last time I increased the water to 3 cups of water to 1 cup of rice, and it was better, but still a little too crunchy. How do you make brown rice in your rice cooker? (Also, do you have a favorite brand of brown rice?)

I haven't had PFChang's brown rice; what makes it special?

EmilyK
06-19-2003, 09:57 AM
The one time I had it, the grains seemed bigger than regular steamed white rice. It also had a slight nutty flavor to it. I don't want to describe it as "chewy", but it certainly wouldn't be considered "mushy" or "sticky".

erin elizabeth
06-19-2003, 10:10 AM
I think that nutty flavor is the flavor of brown rice--it could have been enhanced by being toasted. I like it, too. I just use regular brown rice in a 1:2 ratio with water. Since brown rice still has its hull it needs to cook longer. I make mine on the stove--bring the water and rice to a boil, cover, then turn the heat way way down so that there is barely a flame (gas stove), and let it cook away. Sometimes it can take 45 minutes or longer. Taste the rice to make sure it is done to your liking and keep an eye on it. I've never added more water, but you can if the rice is not done and already dry. it can also can be cooked in chicken broth for a more savory flavor. I didn't watch my last batch very carefully and it browned on the bottom, but I found I liked the crunchy and more nutty flavor of the browned bits mixed in with the unbrowned rice :) Pleasant surprise.

catharine
06-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by meslgh
Catharine, can I pick your brain on making brown rice in a rice cooker. We've tried several times, and it seems to stay underdone. Last time I increased the water to 3 cups of water to 1 cup of rice, and it was better, but still a little too crunchy. How do you make brown rice in your rice cooker? (Also, do you have a favorite brand of brown rice?)

I use the little cup that came with the cooker and generally do 1:1 ratio PLUS 1 cup of water. It takes about 45 minutes to cook, then steam.

I think the brand I buy is "Fantastic" brand. It is organic, and I am careful to only buy short grain - it is a completely different product to me.

Does that help? Let me know. You might also try pre-soaking the rice.

meslgh
06-19-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks Catharine! It will probably be a while until we do brown rice again, but we are not giving up!