PDA

View Full Version : Which side of the sink?

alisajean
06-18-2003, 02:53 PM
In the process of ordering my new kitchen sink and disposer. I'm trying to figure out if there is a "correct" side of the sink for the disposer. I'm getting a sink which has a large side on the left and small side on the right. Dishwasher is also on the right side of the sink. The lady at the plumbing supply store said that the disposer should go on the right side (smaller side) so that you can scrap the dishes and place them in the diswasher all on the same side. My old sink had the disposer on the left side of sink and dishwasher on the right and I never thought it was a problem. Any thoughts? Which side is your disposer on? I'm I thinking about this too much? I'm beginning to lose my mind with all the decisions! :confused: The sink is as follows:

http://www.elkayusa.com/catalog/sinks/product.asp?product_id=250

lorilei
06-18-2003, 02:56 PM
I don't know if there's a "right" side for the disposal -- though I think a lot would depend on your personal preference.

In our house, we have the disposal on the left and the dishwasher on the left... it is nice having them together, but I guess I wouldn't have thought it odd if they hadn't been...

carrieateadingo
06-18-2003, 03:00 PM
My disposal is on the left and so is my dishwasher. It is really nice, but I don't think it would be too inconvenient if they weren't together.

aggie94
06-18-2003, 03:17 PM
I think it's personal preference. My disposal and dishwasher are on the right side, but I would prefer to have the disposal and dishwasher on opposite sides (which sides, it doesn't really matter). My dishes never go straight from the right side of the sink into the dishwasher. The dirty dishes start on the right side, they get scraped and rinsed, and then moved to the left side, where they're ready to be loaded. It would be easier to scrape and rinse on the left, place in right, and then load straight from the right side into the dishwasher.

But that's just me. :o

funnybone
06-18-2003, 03:17 PM
There really is no right or wrong:

This house - DW on L, Disp. on R (both sinks equal)
Last house - DW on R, Disp. on L( in small sink)
House before that - DW on L Disp. on R (in large sink)

Confused even more now? :confused: :rolleyes: :)

ebobbitt
06-18-2003, 03:18 PM
My dishwasher is on the left and my disposal is on the right. I've never really thought about this!

wallycat
06-18-2003, 03:31 PM
both are on our right...but I agree, it is a personal preference more than anything.

lhall
06-18-2003, 03:37 PM
My disposal is on the left and the dishwasher on the right. In the house I grew up in both the dishwasher and the disposal were on the left.

I thought that with your type if sink the disposal was meant to go in the smaller sink. I've always lived in houses with double sinks that were the same size.

Leigh

06-18-2003, 03:47 PM
No right answer. It all depends on your work flow and what you are accustomed to. My sink is configured so that there is a large deep bowl on the left with garbage disposal and a mid-size bowl to the right. DW is to the right of the sink. It works, but I would prefer the large sink with GD to be on the right side. The kitchen is only two years old and I am not about to rip the counters out to reconfigure, but it is a little thing that bugs me.

RobinC
06-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Disposal on the left - dishwasher on the left.

Really the dishwasher is so close to the sink that I don't think it would really matter if one was on the left and the other on the right. I would think it would be more important to see where the dirty dishes are going to que up on the counter. For me the dishes seem to pile up on the right of the sink and the disposal is on the left.

Jill123
06-18-2003, 07:30 PM
We have both disposal and dishwasher on the left, but they will both be on the other side when we finish our remodel. Not out of a specific preference, we just wanted to move things around a bit.

Also, we were told it's best to have the dishwasher hooked into the disposal, so when the food chunks from the dishwasher get drained into the sink drain, the disposal will chop them up, too.

Betty Spaghetty
06-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Both on left side, this is better for the dishwasher to be hooked into the disposal, just like Jill said. I still think it is up to how
you prefer it. You want a change and it will work that way also.

Beth
06-18-2003, 08:20 PM
For me it would be less important whether it is right or left -- I would probably prefer the same side as the dishwasher, but I would agree that it should be in the smaller side if your sink is not evenly divided. If you have dishwater or something soaking in that large side, you don't want to have to remove it and drain it to use the disposer.

Peggy C.
06-19-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Beth
For me it would be less important whether it is right or left -- I would probably prefer the same side as the dishwasher, but I would agree that it should be in the smaller side if your sink is not evenly divided. If you have dishwater or something soaking in that large side, you don't want to have to remove it and drain it to use the disposer.

I was just going to type this exact same reply.:)

lorilei
06-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Beth

I agree -- but as I thought about this, I also thought of something else... So...

Just to throw another perspective in there -- it might actually be an advantage to have the disposer in a the side where you DO the dishes. All the food particles from the dishwater will then get "disposed" rather than collecting in your pipes and causing trouble there.

A bit less convenient, maybe -- but it might be a deserving consideration.