PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tomatoes to use when making salsa??

Chocolate Rose
06-29-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm putting together my grocery list for the 4th and realized I didn't know if I should buy any particular kind of tomato for the salsas. I started thinking that maybe Romas were what I should use but thought I'd better ask you all.
TIA

jjsooner73
06-29-2003, 01:09 PM
I prefer romas, when I can get good ones. They don't seem to be as juicy and I like the end product better. Some tomatoes yield a really really watery/watered down salsa that I don't like.

gertdog
06-29-2003, 02:08 PM
I use whatever is most perfectly ripe in the store. Romas work well when ripe, but can be too un-juicy when underripe. Like Jennifer, I don't like watery salsa, but I do like it to be moist.

If you end up with beefsteak-type tomatoes that seem like they are a bit too juicy, here is what you can do: Cut the tomato in half. Hold it over the sink. Gently squeeze the seeds out into the sink. Or you can use your finger to gently scoop the seeds out. My favorite is to give the tomato half a sort of sharp flick of the wrist- this flings out some of the seeds and juice.

Vanessa
06-29-2003, 03:24 PM
I buy or use from my garden (this year due to rain etc tomatoes will be very late) big tomatoes round ones. I also add a yellow tomato and tomatillos (purple and the green ones too) I prefer big juicy tomatoes for salsa and then use my Roma ones for Italian dishes.

chefjon
06-29-2003, 04:20 PM
I usually buy greenhouse tomatoes in the store(the ripest ones I can find), but prefer homegrown that I buy at a local farmer's market. I like my salsa not too chunky but with a strong tomato flavor, and that comes best with homegrowns.

Beth
06-29-2003, 11:36 PM
Romas, home grown would be great but my tomatoes are not producing so far -- or those ones on the vine. I sometimes add yellow or other color tomatoes too. The current favorite around here is making pico de gallo and adding chopped avacado -- happened one day when I wanted pico and guacamole and couldn't decide between them.

Gracie
06-30-2003, 05:21 AM
I just use the ripest, as Stephanie mentioned.

I'm curious, Chocolate Rose, which salsa(s) are you going to make?

Loren

mlr73
06-30-2003, 09:31 AM
I don't really like tomatoes too much, but I do make homemade salsa and I use grape tomatoes. I think they give a great flavor to the salsa, even if they are a little on the sweet side.

If I didn't use the grape, I'd use roma (or plum). Lately, though, when I've bought the roma tomatoes, they've been kind of mealy or grainy.

Chocolate Rose
06-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone, for the advice!!
I don't have a garden right now so no homegrown tomatoes.:(

Gracie, I had a hard time deciding. For this party I finally decided to make Salsa Ranchera, Tequila Spiked Salsa, and one that I found in a "Light & Tasty" mag - Raspberry Tomato Salsa (I have no idea if it's any good or not :eek: but it sounded interesting).

I finally just decided that I could make all the salsa recipes that you all shared over the summer and not to stress over which ones to make this time. :)