PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Colorado Visit

Pam Campbell
07-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Hi, My sister and I have talked about renting a condominium in Colorado next summer with our families. The only time I have been in Colorado we stayed in Estes Park which was beautiful and my sister has never been there. There are so many great areas other than Estes Park that maybe someone can give suggestions. There will be two 11 year old girls, one very avid adult bike rider, one so-so adult bike rider and two women who would be happy to sit & vegetate looking at scenery if that were an option. My husband loved hiking in the mountains...so with such varied interests can anyone offer suggestions other than Estes Park? Thanks.
:confused:

slawrence
07-05-2003, 08:56 PM
I love Vail in the summertime. Winter Park is also a great place. Glenwood Springs (and the hot springs pools there) is another good place. Driving or flying? Glenwood can be a bit far, but Winter Park is an easy 90 minutes or so from Denver. Vail is only about two hours (give or take)....I can never remember cuz I just love the drive anyway. Golf and biking, hiking, and eating are great in Vail and WP-just past WP is Granby and Grand Lake. Absolutely beautiful!
Email me if you want any more info on WP or Vail...I have been both places plenty. Telluride and Durango are great places too. (Just a bit farther). Sue

Kay Henderson
07-07-2003, 08:39 PM
My husband and I love the San Juan mountains in southwestern Colorado, and especially the magical town of Ouray. There are motels, inns, B &Bs, condos, and campgrounds in this city, which you can find out about by calling their Chamber of Commerce.

Ouray lies in a box canyon at about 8,000 feet, surrounded by "14ers" (mountains over 14,000 feet). A most wonderful activity is to drive into the backcountry on four wheel drive roads. You can drive your own rig, but you can rent one, or take a tour, both available from local companies. We can only speak from our own experience, but in this part of the world, you can drive to unbelievably spectacular scenery the likes of which is available in our part of the world just through backpacking.

Enjoy! You can't lose anywhere you go in this state -- the crown jewel of North America.