PDA

View Full Version : Nigella Challenge: "Trashy"

mbeth
07-13-2003, 02:37 AM
Okay, I know a lot of BB users won't be interested in the "Trashy" episode, but in the interest of comprehensiveness, I'll post my reviews.

Today was my daughter's birthday; we both like the "Trashy" episode of "Nigella Bites", and she requested this meal for her birthday dinner: Ham in Coca-Cola and Sweet Corn Pudding, which I served with peas, plus my mom contributed a fruit salad. For dessert we had Ina Garten's Birthday Sheet Cake from The Barefoot Contessa: Family Style.

The ham really was quite good. I was working with a much larger ham than called for in the recipe (it was all my store had), but it wasn't hard to adapt. The final product was tender and juicy and nicely flavored. I don't think the final coating really contributed to the overall taste as much as the braising in Coca-Cola, but it was still fun to do. We had a large-ish group for dinner, and everyone enjoyed the ham.

The Sweet Corn Pudding is an eggy souffle-like dish with corn and creamed corn. We liked it okay, but it was not as good (nor as trashy, for that matter) as a different corn pudding that I make. People ate it, but we'll definitely switch back to the other recipe. The Nigella version is actually kind of bland, and not sweet, as the title suggests. It's also more eggy than the other corn pudding, which includes corn meal.

Here are the recipes:

Ham in Coca-Cola
4 1/4-4 1/2 lb. bone-in ham [mine was more like 10 or 11 lbs!]
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
2-liter bottle of Coca-Cola
for the glaze:
handful of cloves
1 heaping T. molasses
2 t. English mustard powder
2 T. Demerara or granulated brown sugar

If you know that you're dealing with a salty ham, put it in a pan covered with cold water, bring to the boil, then tip into a colander in the sink and start from here; otherwise, put the ham in a pan, skin-side down if it fits like that, add the onion, then pour over the Coke. Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on, though not tightly, and cook for just under 2 1/2 hours. If your joint is larger or smaller, work out timing by reckoning on an hour for every 2 lbs, remembering that it's going to get a quick blast in the oven later. But do take into account that if the ham's been in the refrigerator right up to the moment you cook it, you will have to give it a good 15 minutes or so extra so that the interior is properly cooked.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 500.
When the ham's had its time, take it out of the pan (but do not throw away the cooking liquid) and let cool a little for ease of handling. (Indeed, you can let it cool completely then finish off the cooking at some later stage if you want.) Then remove the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat. Score the fat with a sharp knife to make fairly large diamond shapes, and stud eaach diamond wih a clove. Then carefully spread the molasses over the bark-studded skin, taking care not to dislodge the cloves. Gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat. Cook in a foil-lined roasting pan for approximately 10 minutes or until the glaze in burnished and bubbly.
Should you want to do the braising stage in advance and then let the ham cool, clove and glaze it and give it 30-40 minutes, from room temperature, at 350, turning up the heat toward the end if you think it needs it.
This is seriously fabulous with anything, but the eggily golden Sweet Corn Pudding that follows is perfect: ham and eggs Southern Style.
Serves 8.

[The remaining broth is used for a yummy looking black bean soup later in the chapter. I'm excited about getting to make this; it specifically calls for the ham cooking liquid, and I didn't know if I'd ever get around to making this ham. Now I have and the soup will be a bonus!]

mbeth
07-13-2003, 02:54 AM
Sweet Corn Pudding
5 eggs
18 oz. canned sweet corn, drained [I used a regular can]
14 oz. canned creamed corn
1 1/3 c. whole milk
1 1/3 c. heavy cream
generous 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Preheat the oven to 375 and butter an ovenproof dish--and I use my old, scuffed Pyrex one, which measures 12x10 inches [I used a 9x13].
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, and then add, beating unenergetically, all the other ingredients. Pour into the buttered dish and cook for about an hour, by which time it should have set within and puffed up slightly on the top.
Serves 8.

And now, for the sake of comparison, I offer my other, preferred, corn pudding recipe. I got this from a lady I knew when I lived in Wichita. She was a very gracious hostess and not at all trashy. That said, I think this recipe is comfortingly more trashy than the above because of the inclusion of a package of Jiffy Cornbread mix. Somehow, I just like that. The comments in parentheses are Amy's.

Corn Pudding (Escalloped Corn)
1 stick oleo (I use 1/2 stick butter)
1 can ( partly drain) kernal corn
1 can cream style corn
1 c. sour cream (I use plain nonfat yogurt)
1 small Jiffy corn bread mix
1 c. grated Cheddar cheese

Melt butter in in 9x13" pan while combining corn, yogurt, cornbread mix and cheese in bowl. Add butter, mix, and pour back into pan. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Original recipe says to sprinkle cheese over top and continue baking 10 minutes. If center is fluid bake 10 more mins. Edges should be golden.

[This is yummy--sweeter, more solid, and less eggy than the above. I take this to potlucks and it's always popular with both adults and children. I always follow the directions as Amy has written them, mixing the cheese into it, subbing the plain yogurt etc. I think it takes just the first 40 minutes, but you'll know by the color when it's done.]

maizeyoats
07-13-2003, 07:25 AM
I love when we get comprehensive reviews like this.
The ham sounds tasty to me. For some reason I only make ham at Easter; but perhaps I'll get out of my rut and try this.
Thanks for your review. I love Nigella!:)

beckms
07-13-2003, 08:45 AM
Awww, I was hoping to see a review of the deep-fried Mounds bars!! :p

Glad to see a review of the ham...would love to see one of the black bean soup!:D

honeygirl1971
07-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your detailed reviews, mbeth! I'm so happy that the ham turned out so well for your party. :) My sister really wants to try this sometime, and it's nice to know that it works quite well. Thanks for the comparisons of the corn puddings too. Like beckms, I'm looking forward to your review of the soup as well, when you make it!
:D

Gilgamesh37
07-13-2003, 10:36 AM
For those of you who have Nigella Bites there's one other recipe in the Trash Food chapter that I highly recommend--the Lime Chocolate Cheescake. Which sounds disgusting if you think (as I did) that the cheesecake part is chocolate *and* lime, but it's not. It's a dreamy, lovely lime cheesecake on a chocolate crumb crust--easy to make and so much more than the sum of its parts. Even DBF, who is not a big dessert person, loved it--I caught him standing in front of the refrigerator eating a leftover piece with his fingers.

claire797
07-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Whoops. I guess I posted my review of the trashy fried chicken in the wrong thread.

lifeboard
07-13-2003, 04:51 PM
For more "trashy" recipes ... check out the book: Sweet Potato Queens Big-A$$ cookbook (and financial planner) ... it is so hilarious and full of recipes that will fit in with your theme. Enjoy!

mbeth
07-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Gilgamesh--I really liked the Lime Chocolate Cheesecake too! I love citrus, and I love chocolate, so to me its a great combination. Plus, this recipe just turns out so well. The cheesecake was smooth and firm and lovely, a pleasure to make and eat.
Lifeboard--your trashy cookbook sounds hysterical! I love the theme. Another very funny, very fun to read cookbook is Square Meals by Jane and Michael Stern--it's laugh-out-loud funny and contains some very trashy recipes as well.
honeygirl and beckms--Yes, I'll definitely post my soup review, probably next week. I've frozen the stock but won't let it sit in the freezer too long before I use it.

syzygy
07-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Does someone have the recipe (and can post) for the Lime Chocolate cheesecake? I love chocolate and lime together -- a friend and I concocted a chocolate crusted and layered key lime pie for a contest this past spring when I visited her (in the Keys! :cool: ) and I've made it several times since. Love the blend of flavors!!

semmens
07-14-2003, 02:07 PM
Snagged this off the Nigella board...

Chocolate-Lime Cheesecake

7 oz. chocolate wafer cookies
1/3 c. unsalted butter
1 ˝ lb cream cheese
1 c sugar
4 whole eggs
2 yolks
juice of 4 small limes (approx. 3/4 c.)
8-inch springform cake pan
Aluminum foil

Place a large overlapping piece of foil over the bottom of the springform pan, and then insert the pan ring over it. Fold the foil up around the sides of the pan and place the whole thing on a second piece of foil, also folding it and pressing it secure up around the pan so that you have a water-tight covering.

Process the cookies until they are like crumbs, then add the butter and pulse again. Line the bottom of the springform pan, pressing the cookies in with your hands or the back of a spoon. Put the pan in the refrigerator to set, and preheat the oven to 350.

Beat the cream cheese gently until it’s smooth, and then add the sugar. Beat in the eggs and egg yolks, then finally the lime juice. Put a full kettle of water on.

Pour the cream cheese filling onto the chilled cookie base, place the cake pan in a roasting pan, and pour hot water from the recently boiled kettle around the foil-wrapped cheesecake to cover about halfway up the sides of the springform. Don’t overfill. Transfer it as steadily as you can to the oven and cook for 1 hour or so, checking after 50 minutes. It should feel set, but not rigidly so. You want to be able to detect, below the skin, the slightest, sexiest hint of quiver within.

Take the roasting pan out of the oven, then gingerly remove the springform for its water-filled pan. Stand it on a rack, peel off the outer layer of foil, tear away the side bits of the first layer of foil, and leave to cool. When the cheesecake’s cooled down completely, place it in the refrigerator and leave it there until 20 minutes or so before you want to eat it.

Transfer to the plate you’re going to serve it on (it will need to be one without a lip, or a cakestand) and unclip. The underneath bit of the first layer of foil, along with the base of the pan, are going to have to stay in place, unless you like living really dangerously.

It makes life easier if, when you cut it, you heat the knife and cake slicer under a very hot tap first.

syzygy
07-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Thank you muchly!! :) :) :)

badunnin
07-14-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by beckms
Awww, I was hoping to see a review of the deep-fried Mounds bars!! :p

They are really, really, really good. I've had Mounds and Mars bars (Milky Ways) deep-fried.

semmens
07-29-2003, 06:03 PM
DH says "three thumbs up" :D

Very easy, and very good. Even the first slice came out clean and I didn't even chill it very long.

What I really like about Nigella's recipes...while they are *not* lowfat, she doesn't use a whole lot of sugar; it really lets more subtle flavors come through. The Nabisco Famous wafers were just perfect for the crust.

Laura

badunnin
07-29-2003, 09:36 PM
Just to give y'all a heads up, my family is doing a "thing" this weekend where everyone is bringing their fav chocolate bar and we are deep frying them. I'll post reviews next week. :D

ErinM
07-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Whoa. What a nice family bonding activity! :D

Can you give a list of what you think everyone will bring?

badunnin
07-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ErinM
Whoa. What a nice family bonding activity! :D

Can you give a list of what you think everyone will bring?

There will be Milky Way and Snickers, Mounds and Almond Joy, Twix and Butterfinger (these are the only 2 that I'm not sure if they will work or not). Someone mentioned gummy worms, but I nixed that one. It was my smarty pants cousin Jon :rolleyes: J/K. I love the boy to death. But no gummy worms in my deep fryer!

And I think we are going to bond our arteries right together. :D

mbeth
07-30-2003, 06:00 AM
Wow, that sounds like so much fun. Have a wonderful time!

By the way, what kind of deep fryer do you have? Do you use it much? My kids want us to get one JUST so we can do the deep-fried candy bars!:D

badunnin
07-30-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by mbeth
Wow, that sounds like so much fun. Have a wonderful time!

By the way, what kind of deep fryer do you have? Do you use it much? My kids want us to get one JUST so we can do the deep-fried candy bars!:D

I'm not sure what it is. It's up north, so I'll be sure to include it in my report! I DO know that it's not expensive, and not one of the really fancy ones with the nice plastic sides and lid. I wouldn't use it around kids. I also know that it can double as a slow cooker. *shrug*

kcmo727
08-10-2004, 08:12 PM
I am bumping up this old thread to ask those who have made the cheesecake whether or not they baked it in a water bath? As far as I know, water baths are to stop the cheesecake from cracking across the top but I really don't care if it cracks b/c i am drizzling it with raspberry sauce. Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

badunnin
08-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Michelle - I always bake my cheesecakes in a water bath, regardeless of the recipe, and very rarely do I have crackage (or cheesecake cleavage, as my cousin Amy calls it!)

Funny this should come up again - we're deep-frying candy bars again this weekend. My cousin Amy's husband made an request last weekend! :D

vbak
08-11-2004, 05:39 AM
I didn't see this thread the first time it went around. I've made this ham twice and it is very good. It is very juicy and flavorful. I think the glaze finishes it off nicely.

The corn pudding recipes sound good. Thanks for sharing.

Vicky

PAMMELA
08-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Every year at the LA County Fair, I MUST have my deep-fried Twinkie!!

kcmo727
08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by badunnin
Michelle - I always bake my cheesecakes in a water bath, regardeless of the recipe, and very rarely do I have crackage (or cheesecake cleavage, as my cousin Amy calls it!)

Badunnin: thanks for the advice. I have never attempted a water bath but I will give it a try. :)