PDA

View Full Version : crockpot vs. slowcoker

Gramma_D
07-13-2003, 10:02 PM
It seems to me that I read somewhere on this bulletin board a discussion about this. Is there a difference between a crockpot and a slowcooker, if so what is it? Thanks!

wallycat
07-13-2003, 10:08 PM
they are one and the same.
I think Rival coined the term "crockpot" as a trademark name...but they are all slow cookers...usually with a crock, though the new West Bend uses a teflon coated aluminum :)

Gramma_D
07-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Thank you. wallycat!! My sister asked me this. She does demo cooking in a store and a customer asked her this question. The lady was sure there was a difference. we thought not, but weren't sure!! Thanks, again!!

Linda in MO
07-14-2003, 09:54 AM
Well, I could be wrong, but I think they're slightly different. I have both...

Rival crockpot: the heat comes from the sides and the bottom; it has a crockery insert; it takes a lot longer to heat up and cooks slower than the slowcooker; only has 2 settings hi and low (mines old).

Westbend slowcooker: the heat only comes from the bottom and the heating element is also a small griddle; you can brown meats in it; the pan is a non-stick; it heats up pretty fast and cooks faster than a crockpot; has settings 1 thru 5.

They both cook food slow and the end result is quite similar, but those are the differences that I see. I use my slowcooker for roasts, etc. and my crockpot more for soups, dips, etc. Or if I want something to cook a lot longer than I use my crockpot.