PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Corn Soup

linsleyd
07-15-2003, 01:04 PM
Does anyone have a really good recipe for Chicken Corn Soup/Chowder?

I have a ton of sweet corn frozen and a friend that just gave birth and a friend that is doing the single mother thing for a few months and I wanted to give them some and freeze some for us for the winter.

When I have made it before, I've just thrown things in a pot and while that's good I would like something that is better!:)

TIA!

semmens
07-15-2003, 03:11 PM
This is EXCELLENT; I meant to post it on the soup in the summer thread the other day.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pennsylvania Chicken and Corn Soup

Recipe By :Susan H Loomis "Farmhouse Cookbook"
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Poultry Soups and Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 1/2 pounds chicken -- cut up
1 large onion -- peeled and diced
salt
8 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 teaspoon saffron
pepper
2 cups fresh corn kernels
6 ounces egg noodles -- dried

Rinse the chicken well. Put it and the onion in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water and add salt, peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from pot and allow to cool. Remove and discard skin and bones. Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Remove the thyme, bay leaf and peppercorn from the soup and bring to a boil. Add the saffron, salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and the corn. Bring back to a boil, add the noodles and cook until tender.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

linsleyd
07-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks semmons, that looks about what I'm looking for!