PDA

View Full Version : ISO way to get "fishy" smell out of seashells

memartha
07-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Hi,

We just returned from a week on Cape Cod and DS and DD have large collections of seashells they want to display in the house. The problem is, many of the seashells smell "fishy" still. Does anyone know how to get rid of the odor? Thanks. Martha

sneezles
07-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Try this page. (http://www.seashells.org/cleaning/deadseashells.htm) . This is for dead sea shells but there is also a page for live sea shells, the link is on the bottom of the page linked above. HTH!

sneezles
07-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Bump!!!!! For some reason this didn't move up when I responded...must be new gremlins around for the weekend! ;)

TamiKnight
07-19-2003, 04:05 PM
I soaked our last bunch in OxyClean, then rinsed and air-dryed. They don't have any fishy smell at all.

fci5767
07-19-2003, 04:33 PM
I would hope that the ones you have are the dead kind. Athough, I never knew that there was a difference.

I knew there was a reason that I spend so much time on this board. It's educational.

Beth

memartha
07-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the great ideas. I haven't checked that link, Sneezles, but I will. And I do have OxyClean so that's worth a try. This year's batch of shells are currently uninhabited (!), though we learned our lesson the hard way a few years back. The kids had painted the seashells on a rainy day and we had them displayed in a bowl. Couldn't for the life of me figured out what stunk so badly. Finally realized it was a dead clam inside one of the shells. Ooooooh. Never again.

kcmo727
07-20-2003, 04:07 PM
I grew up in Florida so seashells were plentiful. We always soaked them in bleach as far as I remember.