PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Juice Plus (supplement)?

TamiKnight
07-22-2003, 09:14 PM
My doctor recommended to my daughter that she begin taking Juice Plus (https://www.juiceplus.com/) as part of her total treatment for a mood disorder (in addition to appropriate medications). After reading it and looking at the research, it sounds like an amazing supplement; it is supposed to be the equivalent of 17 fruits and vegetables in each day's dose. My doctor says it is the only supplement he believes in taking. Anyway, it's fairly pricey, and before I buy it for DD (and probably for myself), I'd like to hear if anyone else has used it and what your impressions were.

clairea
07-23-2003, 04:46 AM
Tami, I have never heard of Juice Plus, but if you don't mind sharing I would be very interested in hearing why your daughter's doctor thought it would help. DH and DS both suffer from mood disorders and I know there are a variety of dietary things that can help along with appropriate medical treatment, but I am not familiar with this one.

Claire

TamiKnight
07-23-2003, 09:13 AM
I don't mind sharing, although the information I got is minimal. I didn't go in to the appointment with her (she's 22), so I only hear what she wants to share. He just told her that he has found that mood disorders are harder to get under control when the person's body doesn't have all the nutrients it needs. He also said he feels this is preferable to other supplements, because it is a whole food instead of isolated, possibly artificial, nutrients. Anecdotally, he has found it to be very beneficial to his patients with mood disorders. I do know that, in my daughter's case, her nutrition is completely inadequate. She moved out on her own before she should've, and barely makes enough money to keep food on the table, and is a very picky eater who dislikes most fruits and vegetables. However, ramen and macaroni & cheese seem like a good daily diet plan to her! At any rate, the lproduct seems really promising, and I like the fact that there has been so much independent research on it. When we get her started on it, I'll let you know if we see any big difference.

food girl
07-23-2003, 10:37 AM
I have many patient and clients ask about juice plus, I don't recommend it. I have seen independent studies showing that it couldn't possibly contain all of the compounds that it claims, citing that the content of vitamin C alone claimed would weigh more than the whole pill.

I have been contacted by the people who sell the supplement and I get the how-much-$-you-can-make pitch. I would seriously scrutinize any MD who both recommends and sells such a product.

Please see http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/NSA/juiceplus.html it goes into more detail about the multilevel marketing strategies and the nutrition claims of this product.

I would rather see people spend the money on actual fruits and veggies.

Lisa

TamiKnight
07-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by food girl
I would seriously scrutinize any MD who both recommends and sells such a product.

I would just like to clarify that our doctor does NOT sell it--he just recommends it. Thanks for the info--I will check out the link.

kima
07-23-2003, 11:29 AM
I think foodgirl is right.
I went to a lecture by a nutritionist who wrote a book about staying young. She really pushed this supplement. I learned later that they were loking for reps and were very in to the "how to make a quick buck" aspect. It really turned me off. I would ask the doctor if he has a fiancial arrangement with this product.
But I have lived with people with mood disorders and I know how hard it can be. Anything that might help is enticing. Just be aware that JuicePlus may not be all that it is cracked up to be.

clairea
07-23-2003, 02:06 PM
Tami, it sounds like a good multi-vitamin (and a healthier diet:rolleyes: ) might help your daughter more than this supplement. I can certainly see her doctor's point about nutrionaly deficiencies making mood disorders harder to treat. These disorders are biological, so a body with inadequate fuel may well have a harder time dealing with them. Two things she might want to focus on getting enough of are omega-6 fatty acids (or is it omega-3 -- the ones that are in fish?) and folate. Both of these have been linked at least to depression, although I am not sure about other mood disorders. There is another dietary link that I read about recently, I can't remember right now but if I think of it I will post again. In any event, it was definitely something that would be covered with a multi-vitamin.

I wish you the best in finding an effective treatment for your daughter. I agree with kima, when you are living with someone with a mood disorder you will consider almost anything that might help. Claire