PDA

View Full Version : Chilaquiles from Mollie Katzen

JulieM
07-26-2003, 03:37 PM
I just copied this post from Mollie at molliekatzen.com. The recipe sounds really good:

- Monday, July 21, 2003 at 11:38:15 (EDT)

Hi Friends,
I got a tremendous amount of exuberant feedback from many attendees of the recent LOHAS Business Trends Conference in Boulder Colorado. The most requested recipe was Chlaquiles, a tortilla-custard casserole, that we served with a trio of brightly colored fruit salsas. My first published version of Chilaquiles appears in Still Life with Menu Cookbook, and a simpler version appears as "Torn Tortilla Casserole" in my second kids' cookbook, Honest Pretzels. Here's the recipe we used at the conference:

Chilaquiles
Adapted from Still Life with Menu Cookbook

Preparation time: 10 minutes of work, 35 minutes to bake
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Chilaquiles is a thick, pudding-like combination of soft corn tortillas, cheese, beans, seasonings, and tofu, baked in a savory custard. Comforting and filling, it tastes as good reheated as it does when served freshly baked. If you have some stale tortillas sitting around, this is the way to employ them! They'll rejuvenate when combined with the other ingredients.

Nonstick spray for the pan
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups minced onion
1 medium Anaheim or poblano chile, seeded and minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound firm tofu, cut into thin slices (optional)
1 cup cooked pinto beans or black beans (optional)
12 corn tortillas
2 packed cups grated jack cheese
4 large eggs
2 cups milk
Black pepper to taste
OPTIONAL:
Sour cream
Salsa

1) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a 9 X 13-inch pan with nonstick spray.
2) Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. After about a minute, add the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the butter, letting it melt into the oil.
3) Add the onion and chile and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the cumin and salt; cover and cook 5 minutes longer. Stir in the garlic (and tofu and/or beans, if using), and without further cooking remove the pan from the heat. (It's okay if the tofu pieces break a little.)
4) Tear 6 of the tortillas into bite-sized pieces and spread them evenly in the sprayed pan from step 1. Distribute half the cooked mixture over the tortillas, and sprinkle the top with half the cheese.
5) Tear the remaining tortillas and spread these on top of the cheese. Repeat layering with the rest of the cooked mixture and the remaining cheese.
6) Beat together the eggs and milk, and grind in some black pepper. Slowly pour this custard over the casserole.
7) Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until set and lightly browned on top. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.