PDA

View Full Version : July Workout Challenge 7/27-8/3

RebeccaT
07-28-2003, 10:01 AM
The fifth week of July... I wasn't sure whether to make this an August challenge (which didn't seem right since this week will mostly be July) or keep it July...

So I am mad at myself. All I had to do was get in one workout between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and I would have been able to make my 20 workouts for the month goal. One measly workout. But I didn't. I have excuses, sure... left from the office on Friday to go out of town for one night, got back late in the afternoon on Saturday, exhausted, and then babysat Saturday night... but I could have done something yesterday. I just didn't. I can do better than that!!!

So I can finish up this month with 19 workouts if I go everyday between today and Thursday. Not my best showing ever, although I could have done worse. I think that I lost some momentum at the gym by trying to incorporate Pilates... there are too many excuses for me at home. So I think that I am going to go back into the gym 4 times a week, and try to get in one Pilates workout on the weekends. If I can get in 5 gym workouts, or more than one Pilates workout, great. But I am not going to try to replace gym time with Pilates, b/c I don't think that will work for me.

So here's my plan for the week:
Monday - make new strength training plan for the month, and do some lower body.
Tuesday - cardio
Wednesday - upper body
Thursday - either gym or short Pilates workout
Friday - cardio

how's everyone doing? Are you up for a challenge in August, or do we need a vacation?

sneezles
07-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Rebecca,
Sometimes you just have to take a break and not making goal shouldn't be an issue! A goal is something to strive for but not to center your life around. Falling one short is really nothing to get mad at yourself for, look at it as having done 19 workouts in 31 days! Sure beats doing nothing for 31 days!!!
Realizing that something in goal strategy wasn't working is also a positive step and so is not making excuses...accepting the fact that you do have other things in your life that are just as important as working out and rest is definitely a big one!

This morning I did the Firm's Aerobic Weight Training with Abs, really a great workout. My plan is to workout 6 days this week, doing cardio 5, weights 5, and abs 4. I will do this video 2 more times and then do Upper and Lower splits the 3 other days adding abs on the split days.

I'll be doing an August Challenge whether we post here or not!

SandyM
07-28-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by RebeccaT
Are you up for a challenge in August, or do we need a vacation?

Hi Rebecca,

I will be on vacation for the first two weeks, but I still think we should have an August challenge. This thread definitely keeps me accountable! I'll leave it up to the majority, though, since I won't be around to start it off.

Sorry to hear you didn't make your goal, but at least you recognize where the issues were. And I agree with Susan - don't beat yourself up over a goal - you did more than many people do! (Like me, 2 months ago....:rolleyes: ;) )

Good luck with your plan, Susan.

I'm hoping to get some biking/hiking/speed walking in while I'm gone, and keep the eating in check. Here's hoping! :D I think I'll weigh in and take measurements before I leave on Wednesday and hope for some miracle that the numbers at least stay the same (it might be too much to hope for a decline, I think....:rolleyes: :D )

Take care, everyone.

shoefling
07-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone! I can't believe that it is almost August! Where has the summer gone?

I only got in 2 workouts last week. We were out of town from Thursday afternoon until Sunday evening at a County Fair. Those nice temperatures that I posted about last week did not last long. Saturday it was in the high 90's with high humidity. I think the heat index was 115. It was miserable outside! We cut the fair short and spent the evening with my parents...inside! So I will be short on my goal for this month, but I am still happy with my progress. I am up to running 40 minutes at a time so my endurance is increasing. Yeah! DH and I went for a walk last evening and I ran today so I have 2 workouts in for this week.

I am definitely up for an August challenge. I need to sit down and come up with some goals for the month, but count me in!

tigermorris
07-28-2003, 07:01 PM
my goal for this week (7/28-8/3) is only 3 times.
I went to the gym tonight and did the eliptical machine for 3o minutes.
Tues - none
Wed- strength training
Thurs - none
Fri - strength traning and 30 min of cardio, then go out of town
Sat- out of town, family reunion; hopefully there will be a treadmill in the hotel; then i planto use it to 30 minutes.
Sun- none return late from Family Renunion.

although this week is less than I would like, I have a plan so I'm OK with it.

Have a good week!
Terri

RebeccaT
07-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Terri, that sounds like a great plan!

Shoefling, way to go on all the running! I am so impressed with the way you have stuck with it during the summer!

Sandy, have fun on your vacation! :D

Yesterday I wound up doing cardio instead of strength, so I will do strength training today. Probably lower body.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone! :)

aggie94
07-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Hey there! Checking in from vacation. :)

I finished last week with four workouts. I really should have been able to get in a fifth one, but it seems like the week before a vacation is always the busiest. I had so much to do between work and packing that I couldn't make it to the gym on Saturday (and I was traveling most of Sunday).

I started off this week with a run yesterday morning on Prefontaine's trail in Eugene. It felt great, and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. Today I am hanging out with friends and probably won't have any access to anywhere to work out, although we may go for a walk in the evening. Hopefully tomorrow I will have access to a gym. I will be thrilled if I can work out 4 times this week - usually I don't do anything on vacation, so that would be a success in my book.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

sneezles
07-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Eva,
Enjoy your vacation and the cooler weather!

This morning I did 40 minutes of interval cardio! Woooo, I was a wet mop after that but carried on to do upper body weights!

lhall
07-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone. I'm here, but as I'm on "Vacation at Home" I haven't been on the BB much.

Well, I could have done 5 workouts last week, but I was lazy. Similar to Rebecca. I just couldn't convince myself to workout.

Yesterday I pulled a wagon or carried a child around the zoo and went swimming. We also went to the pool on Sunday.

So I'm 2/4 this week and I just got 3 new workout tapes. Thanks Sandy! 2 more this week and I'll have met my goal for the first time since I started the challenges.

Rebecca,
I think we should keep up the challenges. It really helps with my motivation to workout and I'm really seeing a difference in my attitude, stress level, and energy level.

Leigh

RebeccaT
07-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by lhall

Rebecca,
I think we should keep up the challenges. It really helps with my motivation to workout and I'm really seeing a difference in my attitude, stress level, and energy level.

I was thinking about it last night, and it kind of seems like this thread has turned more into an accountability thread than a challenge thread, don't you think? I mean, these threads started out as sporadic "21 day challenges." Then a few of us decided that 21 workouts in a row was too much, but we still wanted to challenge ourselves to do more than we normally would. For the past few months, most of us have been using this thread as more of a "Here's what I plan to do this week, now hold me to it, girls" sort of thing. Which is GREAT!! But should we go back to truly doing challenges? Or should we change the name of this thread to Workout Accountability? Or shoudl we merge with HLSG or one of the other plethora (there's that fun word! :D ) of threads?

Am I totally off-base here? I may only be speaking for myself... :o

Just random musings from someone who doesn't have much to do at work today... :o :D

sneezles
07-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Well, I prefer to list /report/account for my exercise in this setting. I've never post on the other thread because it'd sort of well established. If we don't continue with this then I'll just start on another BB for fitness that I've been lurking at.

But to finish out July...
This morning I did 60 minutes of cardio followed by upper body weights and abs with 15 minutes of stretching.

RebeccaT
07-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by sneezles
Well, I prefer to list /report/account for my exercise in this setting. I've never post on the other thread because it'd sort of well established. If we don't continue with this then I'll just start on another BB for fitness that I've been lurking at.

Well, I don't think we should end this thread if people want it! I never really posted on HLSG for the same reasons you described, I just didn't know if people thought we were being repetitive.

I know it's a great help to me!

Yesterday I did lower body weights. I did a new-to-me technique for lunges, and OH is my a** sore! legs too! I guess that means it's a good one! :o

today I won't be able to go to the gym because DH invited his sister over for dinner. After she leaves, though, I will do my Pilates video and pushups. This kind of thing is exactly the reason I wanted to get some workout DVDs, so that I could stay on track even when something keeps me from the gym for a day.

sneezles
07-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Well, Rebecca....guess eveyone else is on vacation!!! :eek:

Lat night I worked in the gardens for about 2 hours, weeding and adding 20 bags of mulch. After having increased my weights on2 back exercises I was very sore by bedtime. Just didn't feel up to cardio or weights this morning so I did 45 minutes of yoga. I felt amazing after I was done! No pain in my back at all!!!

RebeccaT
07-31-2003, 03:07 PM
Isn't it amazing how good yoga makes you feel? I always feel like I have gotten a massage when I am done. Good for you for giving your body a little break, but still doing something active!

shoefling
07-31-2003, 03:54 PM
I'm not on vacation (unfortunately!) but have been busy the last couple of days with work and have not been on the baords much. I would really hate to see this thread go even if it less of a "challenge" and more of an accountability thread. I get lots of inspiration from you guys and I like to report back with how I am doing. I think that we all have goals and are challenging ourselves in one way or another.

Except that I have not been doing too much this week on the exercise front. I do want to go for a walk or run this evening, but I am hoping it cools off a little first. It is supposed to rain/storm this evening too but right now it is just too humid out. I can always hop on the treadmill if it starts storming before I am ready to go out. I have been slacking off on the strength training and need to work that back in to my workouts a couple of days a week!

Hope you all are having a great one!:D

Sarah

lhall
08-01-2003, 06:25 AM
Well, I'd been slacking off but DD1 decided she wanted to go on a bike ride yesterday. So, we rode 13 miles and went to the pool after dinner. I did better endurance wise than I thought I would, but my butt is sore. We rode 3 miles rested, rode 3 more, ate lunch, then rode 7 miles (3 1/2 each way). We rode on the Silver Comet Trail, which is an abandoned CSR rail line. It's been paved over and is available for any nonmotorised used (a few parts allow horses). It goes from close to me to the Alabama line and will at some point be joined up with the trail in Alabama.

I think we're going hiking today.

So, I'm 3/4 this week and need one more workout to meet my goal!

Sneezles,
I love the way I feel after doing yoga too.

Leigh

sneezles
08-01-2003, 08:21 AM
13 miles on a bike!!!! Ew-weee, my butt would be sore, too!

Did the Firm's Aerobic Weight Training today. It really kicks my rear but I feel great when it's over and I made it through the whole thing!

Have a Great Weekend, all!

RebeccaT
08-01-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by lhall
Well, I'd been slacking off but DD1 decided she wanted to go on a bike ride yesterday. So, we rode 13 miles...

Leigh, WOW! Did Ginger ride the entire 13 miles too? That's pretty impressive!

Your post made me want to go ride my bike. There aren't really many good trails up here, but I am thinking that some of the state parks about 1.5 hours north of Houston might.

Sneezles, do you know anything about Big Thicket or the area around Nacadoches (sp?)???

lhall
08-01-2003, 12:42 PM
Leigh, WOW! Did Ginger ride the entire 13 miles too? That's pretty impressive!

Pretty much, she did stop and rest or walk her bike a few times. The trail is very flat, then again it was a railroad track. The first leg was a slight incline, therefore we got to coast a lot on the way back to the car (and lunch).

The trail currently ends in Rockmart, GA and has been a huge benefit to the town. Lots of people do the whole trail and stay overnight in Rockmart before heading back.

Leigh

sneezles
08-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Sneezles, do you know anything about Big Thicket or the area around Nacadoches (sp?)???

No, I don't know 'bout the Big Thicket but my 2 older sons live in Nacogdoches. Here's a link to the trails in the National Preserve:

http://www.bigthicketdirectory.com/links/pages/Big_Thicket_National_Preserve/Trails/

Sounds like a great place to ride!