PDA

View Full Version : How long do babies wear bibs?

JHolcomb
07-30-2003, 07:47 AM
Hey all,
I'm in the middle of Christmas craft planning and I'm doing embroidered tea towel sets for most of my cousins/friends. However, I have a couple of little ones that I'd like to make something for, but don't know if they'd still use a bib. The kids are both 2. Do you still use bibs at that age?

Thx,
J

funnybone
07-30-2003, 07:48 AM
LOL - because I keep telling my 8 1/2 year old that I will be buying him one soon. :D

Chefzhat
07-30-2003, 07:57 AM
Hey! You mean they stop wearing them??:p

I too have an 8 year old that does a fair amount of shirt soiling . . .

Chefzhat
07-30-2003, 07:58 AM
Sorry J, that didn't answer your question!!

At two while they probably need a bib, they probably feel they are too old. That's kind of a baby thing.

How about a hooded towel with their names on it for bath time?? Can you make that kind of thing? It's pretty easy!

Debie

JHolcomb
07-30-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Chefzhat
Sorry J, that didn't answer your question!!

At two while they probably need a bib, they probably feel they are too old. That's kind of a baby thing.

How about a hooded towel with their names on it for bath time?? Can you make that kind of thing? It's pretty easy!

Debie

Heh. DH tells me I still need a bib. And he's right. I'm glad I asked about the bibs. I know nothing at all about kids, but I had an idea that at 2 they were starting to age out of one. I can embroider most anything as long a needle will go through it, so a hooded towel might be a good idea. May be a little too pricey, though. I could do socks, though...there's a cute little cherry design that I've been dying to do.

LaraW
07-30-2003, 08:12 AM
Socks are a good idea, I like the towel idea too. My Mom had gotten us some Sesame Street towels when we were little and embroidered our initials on them. I remember thinking that it was pretty cool that I had a towel that was MINE and nobody elses.

Chefzhat
07-30-2003, 08:32 AM
The towel thing could be pretty cheap - it calls for one bath towel and one hand towel with the hand towel sewn on for a hood. You can add embroidery, edging, pompons, etc to decorate. I've seen towels for as little as $1 each at Wally World (Walmart) and Sams Club.

Socks are good too, but sometimes kids get wierd about their socks, bumps, ridges, heel fit - don't know why but trust me, if it's an issue - IT'S AN ISSUE!! A LOUD ONE!! A REALLY LOUD ONE!!! Can you tell one of mine had sock issues??:p

Debie

JHolcomb
07-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Chefzhat
The towel thing could be pretty cheap - it calls for one bath towel and one hand towel with the hand towel sewn on for a hood. You can add embroidery, edging, pompons, etc to decorate. I've seen towels for as little as $1 each at Wally World (Walmart) and Sams Club.

Socks are good too, but sometimes kids get wierd about their socks, bumps, ridges, heel fit - don't know why but trust me, if it's an issue - IT'S AN ISSUE!! A LOUD ONE!! A REALLY LOUD ONE!!! Can you tell one of mine had sock issues??:p

Debie

Good point. I had shoe issues. Why did I learn to tie my shoes when I was 3? Because my mom tied them too tight and it drove me bonkers! Yes, I can actually remember that from when I was 2 or 3. It was a very big issue that haunts me today (I can still barely tolerate shoes). I'm not much of a sew-er (I do hand-stiched embroidery, and that's it!!), but I might be able to figure that robe out. Actually, forget it, I could never figure it out :p. I have no ability to visualize things like that. Though if I could find a pattern somewhere, my mom does have a little sewing machine...

MrsReber
07-30-2003, 10:24 AM
It's not so much that they don't NEED bibs, you just will never actually keep one on them. By 2, they have learned how to undo anything you could possibly use to: Keep a bib on, keep your kitchen cabinets closed, keep your outlets safe.

That being said, I really like the towel idea. My 2 year old is very into having her own towel for bath time. She knows which one is hers and which one is her brothers. At 2, they seem to be very into "mine" so anything embroidered with a name or something representing them would probably be a big hit. My DD loves bags that she can carry around, too, so maybe a tote bag of some sort?

Have fun! I love needlework. I just can't find the time for it these days.

Chefzhat
07-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Re: hooded towel - it doesn't have to be hooded - just a plain colored towel with their name embroidered on it.

To make the hooded towel: lay out bath towel (east-west direction), lay out hand towel along top edge (east-west direction), with about one inch overlapping. Hand stitch together, or zip through a sewing machine. Add pompons, fringe, etc. to edges of bath towel. Add embroidery name. Wrap and smile!!

Here's another great idea - no sewing involved. Makes a great blanket. Purchase a square piece of polartec fleece, have cut to a large square, whatever size you want. Cut each corner into a square (cut out square piece at corner). Snip 3" long, 1/2" wide strips all around the big fleece square. Grab two pieces next to each other and tie. Continue around the square. Embroider name or decoration. Again - wrap and smile!!

ShelleyS
07-30-2003, 12:56 PM
I have a 13month old and he no longer wears a bib. I usually pack one with us for trips out, but he just doesn't seem to need it. Now, I am told that once he's trying more to feed himself I'm going to need to get him a plastic poncho cause it gets sooo messy, but for now he's bib-free.

JoanneOR
07-30-2003, 01:10 PM
The towel and blanket ideas are good. Or, how about a small pillow? You could do a matching pillow and blanket. Or, maybe you don't want to get into all that! Just a thought.

I agree, I don't think they would keep a bib on at two. The towels or blankets they would use much longer.

KristinK
07-30-2003, 01:27 PM
I think a small fleece blanket, with embroidery in the corner, sounds like a good idea - something they could use as they get older too, as long as the embroidery isn't too baby-ish. Although I would just buy one (a blanket, that is), as I'm having a little trouble following Debie's instructions...

BTW my 16-month old cousins don't wear bibs anymore either.

roboneill02
04-24-2014, 02:16 AM
As I have noticed to my baby, if the baby bibs is staying for how many hours in her neck she gets irritated. I think 2 hours is the maximum time. I only wear my toddler a baby bib if she is eating and sometimes the drooling problem ( the teething process). So by the time that she already finished her food, I immediately take off her baby bibs. Many babies really hate wearing baby bibs, maybe my daughter is one of them but at least she wear bibs especially in meal time so I don't have to worry about her messiness.