PDA

View Full Version : lemon verbena and lavender

Vanessa
07-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Hi!
My lemon verbena plant on the deck is getting big (finally since this summer the garden has not produced much) Any ideas for lemon verbena? Lavender (I have the kind thats like rosemary and the Goodwill kind leaves are bigger..
Thanks

HUNGRY!
07-31-2003, 04:54 AM
I made this Lavender Tea Cake for my supper club once, and it was good. I also sometimes make lavender water for ironing my sheets (which I only do when I have company so I don't use it very often!). Anyway, to make that cut the leaves off the plant (about four cups), was them, and then boil them in about 6 cups of water for about 6-8 minutes or until the water gets as strong as you want it. Then strain. I keep it in a spray bottle. No ideas for the verbena though, sorry.

Glazed Lavender Tea Cake

1 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons butter -- softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh lavender leaves -- finely chopped
Vegetable cooking spray

Glaze:
1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven ot 350.

2. To prepare cake, beat granulated sugar, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add egg and egg white, 1 at a time; beat well after each addition. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir well. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in lavender.

3. Pour the batter into an 8-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

4.Tto prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar and remaining ingredients. Spread over hot cake. Cool in pan 20 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Note: to freeze up to 1 month without the glaze, place in an airtight container, or wrap in heavy-duty plastic wrap or foil. Unwrap and thaw at room temperature 2 hours before serving. Prepare the glaze, and spread over cake.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 slice).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 243 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (23% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 35mg Cholesterol; 221mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

tamawrite
07-31-2003, 08:48 PM
This recipe from CL is awesome -- big hit at my latest poker night. Double the recipe (at least!) because everyone will want more.

Lavender Lemonade

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups water, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh lavender leaves
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
Lavender stems

INSTRUCTIONS:

Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Combine the boiling water and lavender in a medium bowl; cover and steep 30 minutes. Strain the lavender mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard lavender leaves.

Combine 3 cups water and sugar in saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, and cook 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Combine lavender water, sugar syrup, and lemon juice in a pitcher. Cover and chill. Serve over ice. Garnish lemonade with lavender stems, if desired.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
calories: 115 carbohydrates: 30.9 g cholesterol: 0 mg fat: 0 g sodium: 1 mg protein: 0.2 g calcium: 4 mg iron: 0 mg fiber: 0.2 g

YIELD:
5 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Vanessa
08-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks! Will try both recipes. Yesterday I made a lemon verbena bread.
It smelled awsome! Its basically your reg quick bread but you step the chopped verbena in milk. I was supposed to put a lemon glazed on the warmed bread but I wrapped it up for tomorrow. I am allergic to wheat but DH said he is looking fwd to tasting it :)
Ops I edited this and return to type in the recipe...Enjoy.. Oh Lori thanks for the recipes!!

Lemon Verbena Tea Bread
cup milk
2 tablespoons finely chopped Lemon Verbena
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest

Butter a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 325. Heat the milk (do not boil) with the chopped Lemon Verbena and let steep till cool.
Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, cream the butter and gradually beat in the sugar. Continue beating until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the lemon zest. Add the flour mixture alternately with the herbed milk. Mix just until the batter is blended.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out dry. Remove the bread from the pan onto a wire rack that is set over a sheet of waxed paper. Pour Lemon Glaze over the still-hot bread, Let cool and enjoy.

Lemon Glaze

Confectioner's sugar
Juice of 1 lemon (preferably a Meyer Lemon)

Place the lemon juice in a small bowl, and add enough confectioners' sugar, stirring until a thick but pourable paste forms. Pour the glaze over the hot bread.

lorilei
08-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi Vanessa -
I just did some looking and came up with a few more ideas that you might be able to use.

Lemon Verbena Pound Cake with Strawberries

Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

For cake:
1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lemon verbena or 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For glaze:
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Accompaniment: strawberries
Make cake: Preheat oven to 325a F. and butter and flour a 1-quart kugelhopf pan, knocking out excess flour.

In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, verbena (or zest), and zest. In another bowl with an electric mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat in vanilla. Beat in half of flour mixture. Beat in milk and lemon juice and beat in remaining flour mixture until just combined.

Spoon batter into pan, smoothing top, and bake in middle of oven 45 to 55 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a tester comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a rack 15 minutes and invert into rack to cool completely.

Make glaze while cake is cooling: In small bowl whisk confectioners' sugar, a little at a time, into lemon juice until smooth and thick.

When cake is completely cooled, drizzle glaze over cake and let it drip down sides. Cake may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

Serve cake at room temperature with strawberries.

LEMON VERBENA RICOTTA PANCAKES

2/3 cup ricotta cheese
2 eggs -- separated
1/4 cup lowfat milk
6 T flour
2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 T lemon rind, minced
1 T lemon verbena, finely minced
2 tsp vegetable oil

The night before, put the cheese in a paper coffee
filter set in a strainer over a bowl, cover with
plastic wrap, and refrigerate. In the morning,
discard the whey collected in the bowl.

Process egg yolks and ricotta cheese in food processor
or blender until smooth. Add milk, flour, sugar,
baking powder, and salt and process until completely
blended. Fold in lemon rind and lemon verbena.

Beat egg whites in mixing bowl until just stiff but
still moist. Fold gently into batter. Heat 2
teaspoons vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over
medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto skillet,
and cook until tops are bubbly and look dry. Turn and
cook second side until golden brown. Repeat with
remaining batter. Serve immediately.

Source: Pam Hotch - Fairbanks, Alaska The Herb
Companion - February/March 1993 Typed for you by Karen
Mintzias

These recipes are all from the Lemon Verbena Herb Society in Michigan.

SPIEDIES
(Marinated Grilled Lamb)

This is a recipe for spiedies which are made in Endicott, New York exclusively. For more than forty years it has been an annual summer event in our family to have spiedies .

5 lbs. lamb (cubed)*
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. basil dried)
1 Tbsp parsley - fresh
1 Tbsp mint - fresh
1 Tbsp rosemary - fresh
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 bay leaf
*use a leg of lamb. I have used both cubes and thinly sliced pieces. Although the thinly sliced pieces lay flatter on bread and are a little easier to eat, the cubes are moister and more tender.
For pennies more a pound, as the butcher to do this for you.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, add meat and stir to coat meat. Cover and refrigerate over night.

If you are using cubes, put on skewers and grill. If you are using slices, lay on grill and turn with tongs.

To Serve: Use good dark breads or pocket bread and mustard to make sandwiches.

POULTRY SEASONING

If you grow your own herbs, it is because you know the quality of the flavor is far superior to bottled herbs. This is very noticeable when combining with meat.

1 cup dried, crumbled sage leaves
2 cups dried parsley
1 tsp. dried onion powder
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup ground rosemary
1/4 cup ground marjoram
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Combine herbs and seasonings and place small amounts in jars, plastic bags, or cheesecloth pouches. Label with directions to add 1 tablespoon of the seasoning to 1/4 pound of butter for rubbing over chicken, turkey, or goose before roasting, or use the same amount directly in a bread stuffing.

LAVENDER CHEESECAKE

Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker and/or gingersnap crumbs
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Filling:
24 oz. softened cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
2 cups sour cream
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp crushed dried lavender flowers
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Topping:
8 oz. sour cream
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp. whole dried lavender flowers
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the crust ingredients and press firmly into the bottom and up 2 inches of the sides of a 9-inch spring form pan; chill.

With mixer on high speed, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. With mixer on low, add the eggs, sour cream, cornstarch, lemon juice, lavender flowers, and vanilla. Blend all ingredients on medium speed for 3 minutes.

Pour the mixture into the chilled crust and bake for 1 hour.
Turn off the oven and leave the cake in for 30 minutes longer.
Remove and let cool in pan. Chill.

Mix the sour cream with the remaining three ingredients and spread over the top of the cheesecake. Cover and refrigerate. To serve, remove the rim of the pan, loosen the cheesecake from the bottom, and slide it onto a plate.