PDA

View Full Version : August Challenge: Week 1 (8/4-8/10)

lindrusso
08-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Hi everyone.

I have been avoiding this thread like the plague and it is certainly starting to show (in my gut, that is)! I must get back into the swing of things, so I'll start be getting this thread started for August. I read on the last thread about different ideas for this thread - I'll just start it and then we can decide what to do with it.

I am now up 7 pounds. My original goal this summer was to lose 5 pounds. Instead, I have gained 7. :mad: I'm trying not to beat myself up too much - been there, done that, it doesn't help - but it's hard. I'm in danger of not fitting into any of the clothes I bought last spring - I've gone up one size already and am in danger of going up another.

I had been doing well with exercising, but that all fell apart the last couple of weeks with traveling, etc. Eating has been even worse on some days, but admittedly great on others. I almost joined the South Beach Diet crowd out of desperation, but those diets really go against my basic nutritional instincts. I can see giving up sugars, empty carbs like white bread and things like that, but I cannot justify or live with giving up stuff like corn, blueberries, etc. even if it is only for two weeks. So, back to WW Online it is.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I must put this out there and face this head on. I'm just frustrated because I was really hoping that I would not backslide this much ever again. Unrealistic expectations, I suppose, but I guess I always hope that this weight thing will some day NOT be such a struggle.

So for August, my challenge is to get back to working out 5 days a week. I think I need to really increase the weight training. That is the one thing that is not as intense as it was last year and oerhaps that is part of my problem. By not training as hard, my metabolism may be slipping into its old slow ways.

On the nutritional end, I am severely restricting sweets and other empty carbs such as white breads, snack foods, etc. I will still allow myself an occasional treat (such as next week when we take FIL to a fabulous restaurant in PA or soft white bread for our BLTS that celebrate our first tomato from the garden), but no more everyday consumption. Maybe you could call it a "Reduced the Bad Carbs" diet?! :D Alcohol has also played a factor this summer because we have been socializing A LOT. So, my other goal is to get through this coming weekend (we're going to see family in PA) without quite so much partying. :rolleyes:

So, any plans or challenges for August? How is everone doing? I skimmed a thread or two, but I have not been keeping up with everyone for all of last month. :(

Here's to our health! :)

Alysha

sneezles
08-04-2003, 08:53 AM
Alysha,
Sorry about your gain! But it sounds like you're ready to deal with the challenge! I don't think that I'll ever be at a point in my life where weight is not a struggle (well, struggle is probably not the right word it's more of an issue). I know that if the exercise is there then the eating isn't so much of a challenge or worry. I continued my routines for the past 3 weeks but have not been very strict with the eating. No weight gain but then no loss this past week or so. This morning I started SBD because 2 weeks without corn or fruit isn't that long if it means that I can go back to enjoying those things without feeling guilty (and guilt was a big part of my changing from Atkins a while ago).
So the challenge for me, at least the next 2 weeks, is to stick to the Phase 1 Plan-period-no lapses-no excuses! And then to continue with my workouts and this will probably be challenged physically by the lack of white carbs as my glycogen levels will drop but I'm not about to lose all the lean muscle I've worked so hard to build.

Good luck with your challenge and keep coming back here!!!

BTW, thanks to your push-up challenge I can now do 3 sets of 15 modified and yesterday I did 10 military!!!!

lhall
08-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Well, I'll stick my goal of 4 workouts per week. I really feel so much better when I do exercise.

As for last month's challenge/goal all I have to say is ......:o :o :o :o :o

Leigh

shoefling
08-04-2003, 11:49 AM
Hey everyone! Happy August!

Alysha, Welcome back! But sorry to hear about the gain. But at least you have acknowledged it and want to correct the situation. It is so easy to let things slide for a while and before you know it all of the results from the hard work you have put in have disappeared! I am sure that you know the changes that need to be made and I know you have the determination to do them! Keep us posted and don't be a stranger! Come here for motivation!

Susan, I agree with the fact that when I am exercising I tend to eat better. That being said I still eat a lot of junk, but I am trying to make better choices. I have the SBD book and have read it. Have thought about giving it a try just to wean myself off the sugar! I am a sugar fiend! I am trying to incorporate a variety of resources to come up with a healthful way of eating for me! I am so impressed with all of the strength training you do. Right now I am pretty good with getting my cardio in but have been slacking in the weight training department.

Which leads me to my August challenge/goal. My challenge is to work out 5 days a week. I want to do cardio on at least 4 of them and get in at least 2 strength workouts per week. Here is my plan for the week:

Sunday: 30 minute walk with DH (Done!!)
Monday: 4 mile run and upper body weights/abs (done!)
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: cardio and lower body weights
Thursday: run
Friday: run or off
Saturday: run or off (If I run Friday I will rest today, if I rest Friday I will run today!)

I didn't meet last months goal as far as days of working out, but I am still happy with my progress and am not beating myself up over it!

Sarah

clairea
08-04-2003, 12:25 PM
I've dropped off the challenge threads for a while, as we have been dealing with some serious health issues for DH that have truly made it impossible for me to exercise regularly the last few months. Between the lack of exercise and stress eating, I have gained about 10 pounds:o, so I'm right there with you Alysha. I am ready to get back to working out regularly, and these threads have always helped me in the past, so here goes:) I'm going to set my goal for August as 3 runs per week and doing pilates 3 times/week. That is starting off a little slow, but I think it will be better for me to start off that way and gradually build back up to what I was doing before.

Claire

sneezles
08-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Sarah,
The past couple of weeks I have knowingly eaten junk, not great amounts but enough to make me want more! I had bought a bag of really good really thin tostado chips that I intended to eat this weekend with some peach salsa...I forgot all about them!

Claire,
Welcome back and I hope that your DH's health improves. Hope that you will be able to achieve your goal for the week. Check in when you can!

This morning I did the Firm's Aerobic Weight Training and upped the weights for lat rows to 20 pounds and felt great! I really love lifting and find it harder to do cardio so this is a great combination plus that Fanny Lifter is really a FannyKicker! Yowzer!:p

lhall
08-05-2003, 07:07 AM
Alysha & Claire,
Welcome back!

Sneezles,
Well, yes, the Fanny Lifter is a Fanny Kicker!!!!

I did the Firm Cardio Scuplt for the first time last night. When I was done DH asked me what tape I'd done. My response was "Melted Wife Tape" I was so wet, ick. It did feel good though. :D I did use some weights (meaning my little 3lb dumbells) through the workout.

Here's my plan
Monday: Firm Cardio Scultp
Tuesday: Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss
Thursday: Firm Parts: Hips, Buns & Thighs
Saturday: Upper Body Yoga

We'll see if I can stick to it!

Leigh

cangoss
08-05-2003, 08:11 AM
I'm joining the challenge for the first time this month. I have been working with a nutritionist for about a month, and so far I've lost ten pounds:D. I haven't really stepped up my exercise though, and she told me yesterday that it will be critical if I want to keep up my weight loss. So my plan for the challenge is to exercise at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes, and make three of those days a one-hour workout.

My eating plan is "good carbs" - the general rule is that any carbs have to have at least 3g of fiber and less than 4g of sugar. Since I started looking, I'm amazed at how much sugar is in the food that I used to eat regularly. I went to Trader Joe's last night and bought a ton of whole wheat, high fiber stuff (couscous, two different kinds of rice, roasted corn, etc.) So I'm starting the month on the right foot. I'd like to lose another 8 pounds by the end of the month, which I think is hard but do-able.

sneezles
08-05-2003, 12:08 PM
cangoss,
Welcome to the Monthly Challenge and congrats on the weight loss!
Alos want to wish you well on your weight loss...the sugar shows up in the wierdest places ;) !

Leigh,
I did the Firm Cardio Sculpt this morning and found myself happy when we got to abs...no more FannyLifter...never thought I'd ever be happy doing abs! :rolleyes: I upped the wights on the part where they use the "twigs" to my 8 pounders and was able to do it with no problem so next time I'll try the 10s!

RebeccaT
08-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Welcome back Alysha and Claire!

Welcome Cangoss!

I worked from home yesterday, and wasn't really on the BB so I didn't see this thread. I am so glad to "see" so many smiling faces ready to get in there for August! :D

My challenge for this month will be 5 workouts a week to get ready for our vacation, which begins on August 29. I want to look good on the beaches of Greece! :D :o So that's my motivation.

This week is already off to a slow-ish start, though... I didn't work out on Sunday, but I did walk on Monday (in this HEAT! Egads, I was sopping wet by the time I was done!) Today is strength training (upper body), and I will probably do weights again (lower body) on Wednesday. I haven't decided on a plan for Thursday, Friday or Saturday, but I need to!!!

Alysha, I hear you on the weight gain. I have been floating between 2 and 4 lbs. over my goal weight since May, and that was not the direction I wanted to go! I am impressed with your resolve to reign things in... send some of that resolve my way! :o

lindrusso
08-05-2003, 08:25 PM
Sneezles - Awesome job with the push ups! I kind of forgot about (how convenient) the whole challenge and never got back to it. Maybe I'll try another one in the winter when our schedule is back to normal.

Thanks Sarah. I usually do stay around even when I'm floundering, but it's been a crazy month. We've been entertaining, throwing parties, traveling, etc. This next weekend is our last traveling for the summer and then things should quiet down. Whew!

Good luck Claire! I hope things go well for you and your DH. I'm so mad that I gained it now when fall and holidays are fast approaching and it will only get harder! Ugh.

Welcome Cangoss and congrats on your success so far.

Rebecca - Hi! If I FIND my resolve, I'll try to send some your way! :) It's the lack thereof that has me in this predicament in the first place.

On the positive side, this is the first time in probably 3 years that I've slid back this far - I've had many plateaus, but I think this is the first time I have gained any significant weight.

So far so good with eating the past two days. It's really amazing how much more "real" food you can eat when you cut out the sweets! It's soooooo much easier for me to stay on point when I don't eat junk! Well, duh! ;)

Now I have to decide how I'm going to get through my next travel trip. I LOVE to bring junk food in the car and this is a 10-12 hour trip! This time I'd like to figure out some better things to bring - maybe popcorn (more fiber than pretzels), grapes, and nuts. Once I get there it's the general overeating and too much drinking that gets me. So, I'll still log on to do WW and stick to my carb restrictions, but I will allow myself a "free" meal when we take DH's dad out to dinner (my BIL is picking the place and I'm sure it will be fabulous).

But before I have to get through all that, I have to get through my son's birthday party tomorrow with the pizza and cake! :rolleyes:

Alysha

lhall
08-06-2003, 06:55 AM
Well, I did the yoga DVD last night and then soaked in the tub for 40 minutes. I feel much better today. I was a tad sore from Monday's workout.

Sneezles,
Yes, I was also happy to get to the ab work. The great part is thanks to my other firm tape (hips, buns, and thighs) I could do all the ab work!

Rebecca,
That sounds like great motivation to me! I know you will have a great time in Greece.

Alysha,
Sounds like you've found your resolve already.

Cangoss,
Welcome, and congrats on the loss!

Leigh

RebeccaT
08-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Last night was upper body as planned. I am really pleased with my progress in this area - my bench presses are strong, and I am up to 2 sets of 20 pushups. I need to see how many pushups I can max out at... I doubt I can do 40 straight w/out a break, but I would like to work up to that. For me, the hardest thing is remembering not to drop my head down, but to keep it in line with my shoulders and back.

Tonight I think I will do cardio, and save lower body weights for Friday. Thursday will probably be off, unless I decide to go to the gym in the AM. But I doubt I will do that - Thursday is the big layoff day, and things are going to be really WEIRD around here. :(

Hi Alysha! :) Good luck with the birthday party today! I hope you are getting a store-bought cake... I find those are easier to resist than yummy homemade ones!!! How old is your guy?

sneezles
08-06-2003, 11:12 AM
This morning I was definitely feeling the lack of carbs (this is day 3 of SBD for me). For the first time I had to eat breakfast first beofre I could workout and then I did yoga instead of upper body weights but at least it was a workout :( ! Here's hoping that tomorrow is better! ;)

lindrusso
08-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Rebecca - That's awesome about your pushups and upper body strength! Maybe someday..... :) As for the birthday cake - it was not store-bought, but it was one of those Wilton cakes that uses all that yucky icing made with crisco and powdered sugar. DS wanted a Sponge Bob cake - I got into this tradition of doing Wilton character cakes for the boys, but I think this will be the last one. Anyway, these cakes don't tempt me too much. We're doing another cake on Saturday with our family, but that one will be store-bought and I won't waste my time with that!

Sneezles - Hope you're feeling back to normal soon.

Well, today was one big challenge after the other. I almost didn't make it the gym (so much to do to get ready for the birthday party), but I did squeeze in 30 minutes of cardio and some abs. I resisted all tempations and boy, the were many. No french fries, no pizza, no cake (well, one bite - the cook has to make sure it tastes okay!), no ice cream and no Tootsie Rolls (I LOVE Tootsie Rolls). I can't believe I resisted all of that! :)

Well, I won't get my 5 workouts in for the week since we leave on Friday and I didn't plan them out very well, but 3 workouts combined with good eating is not shabby. :)

Alysha

cangoss
08-07-2003, 07:53 AM
RebeccaT I'm really impressed with your two sets of 20 push-ups! Those have always been really hard for me.

I'm doing well so far this week. Tuesday I walked for 65 minutes (and got caught in a downpour at the end...) and yesterday I went for a great 70 minute bike ride. Both workouts felt really good. This evening, I'm going for a walk with a friend. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow, but on Saturday I'm planning on biking to a nearby town (about 12 miles each way) for their street fair. The weather is supposed to be really nice this weekend so that should help keep me on track.

thanks for all the congrats! it's motivation for me to keep going...

Candace

RebeccaT
08-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Candace, you're doing great! Your bike ride this weekend sounds wonderful... 24 miles is pretty impressive! But what are you going to do with all the stuff you buy at the fair? :D BTW - I used to have to travel to Ann Arbor for work. What a great town! I'm jealous...

Alysha, you are AMAZING for resisting all those temptations yesterday! I wish I had read your post BEFORE I saw all the doughnuts someone left in the breakroom - I can turn down danish, glazed, jelly-filled... but there was a poor lonely crueller. I only ate half, but still... You've inspired me to eat better for the rest of the day!

Yesterday I did the elliptical trainer. Today I will probably do my pushups, and maybe my short pilates DVD, but I will definitely do lower body strength training tomorrow.

lindrusso
08-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by RebeccaT
I can turn down danish, glazed, jelly-filled... but there was a poor lonely crueller.

That sounds like me - only I like the glazed too. :) But I agree, you can keep the danishes (they all taste the same to me) and jelly donuts - yuck.

Hey, I'm all for splurging once in a while and I never go for total deprivation, but then I realized that my definition of "once in a while" was more similar to the definition of "frequently" or "regularly". :o :o :o Therefore, I've decided that I need to try being much stricter to see if this curbs my constant cravings - to see if I can get my psyche to not cave in at EVERY opportunity. I probably would not have tried so hard yesterday if I had not been eating so atrociously the past few weeks - the opportunities to cave have been relatively abundant lately and I can't cave in on every one and still eat well. It's like I just needed to prove to myself that I could do it. The big challenge will be to see if this resolve lasts more than a week or so. :)

Good luck with the rest of your day, Rebecca! :) I can't imagine working outside the home with all of those temptations every single day. At least at home, I have control of what comes into my home. :)

Alysha

shoefling
08-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Susan~ I hope that you get feeling back to normal quickly! Have the last couple of days been any better?

Alysha~ Way to go on resisting all of those temptations! I admire your resolve!

Rebecca~ Way to go with the pushups! DH has been doing lots of pushups lateley and I can really tell a difference in his arms. Maybe I need to add those into my routine?!? :confused: :D I know how it is to have goodies laying around at work too! It seems like there is always something in our break room. What usually keeps me away from it is knowing that it has probably been sitting there all day! (I don't come in to work until 7pm and work overnight)

Candace~ Way to go with the bkie ride and the walk! Have a fun time this weekend!

Well I have been doing pretty good this week myself. I went for a bike ride last evening followed by a short walk followed by some ab work and a little upper body weights. I have the Firm 5 day ab tape and hadn't used it in a long time. Did day 2 of that for my abs and boy was I feeling it! I am sore today! This morning I went for a 3 mile run and boy was it hot out! But at least it is out of the way!

It sounds like everyone is having a pretty good week this week! Keep up the great work!

Sarah

sneezles
08-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks, am doing better since I started on a vitamin B supplement. Was able to do the Upper Body Sculpt today with the increased wieghts and 20 minutes of cardio.

Sarah,
The Firm 5 Day Abs workout can be a ab killer. Dumby me did all 5 days once :eek: ! I have a new ab dvd from the Firm but haven't even unwrapped it yet! :o There's enough ab work in the other ones for me!

sneezles
08-08-2003, 10:30 AM
OK People it's Friday!!!! Time to check in and declare your week a success/failure so far...need to recommit for the weekend?
I'm off to do the Firm's Cardio & Aerobic Weight Training DVD. I woke up starving this morning and ate before I exercised so I'm way off for today. Just stopped by for some inspriation here and nobody's been here since yesterday?

RebeccaT
08-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Crack that whip, Susan! :D

I have three workouts in this week, and I will do upper body today at the gym. Would like to get in one more over the weekend. I weighed myself this morning (does anyone else have to talk themselves into getting on the scale? It's a weekly battle for me) and I am down a pound from last week. Three more to go to get back down to "goal weight," that arbitrary number I have decided is a good weight for me. :o :rolleyes:

I am doing a better job at vigilance with what I eat, and I know that will make a difference. My goal for next week, in addition to workout goals, will be to cut out the "grazing" I tend to do at home. It needs to either be a meal, or a snack, or something intentional, or I don't need to eat it.

lhall
08-08-2003, 12:52 PM
My week starts on Sunday so I have two days to redeem myself!

I did ok at the beginning of the week, and we did go to the pool Wed. (I'm not counting that cause it was a lazy visit). I didn't workout last night because we got home late from sneak-a-peek. I think I'll do yoga tonight and the firm parts tape in the morning.

Leigh

aggie94
08-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to go back and catch up with the past weeks' challenge threads. I'll just update my last couple of weeks here. I finished off the last week before my vacation with four workouts, just shy of my goal of 5. The day before I left was absolutely crazy, trying to get ready for the trip.

I am pleased with myself for actually having a fairly active vacation. That's not typical for me. For the last week of July, I got in 5+ workouts! Monday, I ran; Thursday, I went to the gym across the street from my hotel in Portland and did light cardio and weights (it was really stinkin' hot in there); Friday, I walked a 2.5 mile trail behind the house where I was staying in Sunriver; Saturday, I ran the same loop AND went on a 5 mile hike :eek:; and Sunday, I went canoeing. Wow, that really takes some upper body strength, which I am seriously lacking. Gonna hit those push-ups again. :rolleyes:

For the first week of August, it's not going as well. Okay, it's not going AT ALL. I haven't done anything this week, unless you count unloading a 24-foot U-Haul truck on Tuesday, the day I got back. I'm counting it. It was at least as much lifting as my normal Body Pump class, plus it was over 100 degrees outside. But that's it. I am hoping to make it for a run before the week is over, and possibly a swim, but I figure I will just try to get back into the swing of things next week. Despite my valiant efforts during vacation, my clothes are starting to fit a little more snugly than they did before I left. :eek:

Gail
08-08-2003, 04:17 PM
I've been lurking here for a while and have finally decided to post my question, which I suspect will only apply to Susan who is -- I think-- the only one of you here who's my age. My question-- to Sneezles, actually-- is whether you're having menopausal symptoms yet and if so has the working out been helping? I've been drinking soy, taking herbal supplements and my last-ditch attempt here is exercise-- which I've kinda fallen out of since my son was born.

Any input in that department?

sneezles
08-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Gail
I've been lurking here for a while and have finally decided to post my question, which I suspect will only apply to Susan who is -- I think-- the only one of you here who's my age. My question-- to Sneezles, actually-- is whether you're having menopausal symptoms yet and if so has the working out been helping? I've been drinking soy, taking herbal supplements and my last-ditch attempt here is exercise-- which I've kinda fallen out of since my son was born.

Any input in that department?

Gail,
Was shocked to see you had posted here! :p I've only had a few symptoms in the past couple of months (as in no longer a 30 day cycle, some times heavy next time very light). Kinda reminds me of when I was 13! My emotions seem to be in better check lately but I think that's a combination of both diet and exercise. I can tell you it has helped with my brain ;) . My memory has improved and so has my concentration. Unfortunately, my mother was never comfortable talking about bodily functions (she gave me a book to read when I turned 13 :rolleyes: ) and she died almost 10 years ago so I've no idea when she started menopause or even if she ever had a hysterectomy. There's not one living female sibling from her side of the family either so I'm going into this blind!

Gail
08-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I had no idea I'd so firmly established myself here as a couch potato (with sour cream and chives, thank you.)

I was hoping you'd be able to give me some wonderful success story. Drat.

clairea
08-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Okay, I kept trying to just sneak past this thread, but I saw Susan's call to check in. I have to firmly declare my week a failure:o I did do pilates twice, and did about 30 minutes of easy yoga most days, but did not run once! I was having one of those frustrating weeks where I felt really tired, and I know running would have actually given me some energy but I just couldn't get myself up to do it. I start my weeks on Monday, so I'm going to try to fit something in over the weekend. I'm thinking of trying to run the 1/2-marathon here on Thanksgiving, and if I'm going to do that I really have to get with it!

Claire

sneezles
08-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by clairea
Okay, I kept trying to just sneak past this thread, but I saw Susan's call to check in.

:D ;) :p

I have to firmly declare my week a failure:o I did do pilates twice, and did about 30 minutes of easy yoga most days, but did not run once! I was having one of those frustrating weeks where I felt really tired, and I know running would have actually given me some energy but I just couldn't get myself up to do it. I start my weeks on Monday, so I'm going to try to fit something in over the weekend. I'm thinking of trying to run the 1/2-marathon here on Thanksgiving, and if I'm going to do that I really have to get with it!

Claire

Obviously we have different meanings of the word failure 'cause darlin' getting in any exercise keeps the week from becoming a failure!!
BTW, maybe if you slept in a bit you wouldn't be so tired! :rolleyes: ;)

This morning I did the Firm's Complete Cardio and Aerobic Weight Training, really really wanted to quit about 30 minutes into it (it's an hour long) but I hung tough!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Gail
08-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Susan,

You're really going at this with a vengeance, aren't you? How long have you been at it this fiercely? (Okay, I've been lurking, but not very long.) Normally I take weekends off, 'cause that's family time, and put in about 1 1/2 hours a day, Monday through Friday. But, last weekend-- due to travel-- only got in 3 1/2 hours. If I sneak in another hour or so before week's end I will be very surprised...

clairea
08-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by sneezles

Obviously we have different meanings of the word failure 'cause darlin' getting in any exercise keeps the week from becoming a failure!!
BTW, maybe if you slept in a bit you wouldn't be so tired! :rolleyes: ;)

Thanks Susan! I spent most of today rescreening our porch and pulling up ivy (a great arm workout!), and it was hard work so I'm going to count that as one more thing moving me out of the realm of failure this week:) I'm meeting a friend at a park to run tomorrow morning, so I'll be sure to do that as well.

I can't wait until DD's preschool starts (2 weeks), so that I can run at 9 am instead of 5:30 (my only option right now unless I want to run on the treadmill -- yuck).

Claire

sneezles
08-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Well, today is my rest day so I just gardened for awhile this morning till it was too hot and humid to be outside. I've been needing to move my herbs out of the afternoon sun, repot a trailing begonia and prune some potted purple lantana. I've spent the afternoon trying to identify a bush that the idiot lansdcaper put in (I'd ask him but he now knows I think he's an idiot :p so most likely won't be too helpful...). So after 2 hours of web searching I feel the need to exercise...