PDA

View Full Version : Does BEENO really work?

Cafe Latte
08-05-2003, 01:22 PM
This is embarrasing, so please bear with me. :o :o :o Without going into details, I was wondering if anyone has used BEENO and if it has worked. My problem started about a month ago, but I don't know what food or foods is causing it. I haven't changed my diet in any way, so I am not sure what is causing this problem that was never an issue. I've tried Gas X and similar products, but I think I have to prevent it before it actually starts. Any help is appreciated.

Laura
08-05-2003, 02:38 PM
No help in telling you whether Beano works, but I do know that for myself, increasing my fiber intake can have an effect on whether I produce excess gas.

Cafe Latte
08-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks Laura. I think it must be added fiber. I started eating more cereal with high fiber and that has to be it. I haven't added more beans or other known gassy veggies. I did some research and came across another thread that touched on the subject too. It's just embarassing. I will have to get some Beano just to try. http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=18285&highlight=beano

wallycat
08-05-2003, 05:13 PM
I have never tried Beano (I eat enough beans that I only suffer the consequences occasionally :eek: :D ;) ) but I have friends who have tried it...
the verdict....it works...for awhile. Eventually, the gas must escape..just not within 24 hours. Be careful what your plans are :p :o

newcook
08-05-2003, 05:27 PM
I hope it works, I just bought some today. I'm having the same problem since I increased fiber in my diet. Tried it with supper tonight and so far so good.

Daniele

Pico
08-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Well, I've had better luck with Gas X than Beano. I eat a reasonable amount of fiber and have beans fairly often, but I can eat nothing but white bread and still have... uh... problems (TMI, I know). A gastroenterologist told me that most of his patients think simethicone (Gas X and similar products) is more effective than Beano. I find that taking one at the beginning of a meal really helps.

sneezles
08-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Just a word of caution:

Do not use Beano if you are allergic to penicillin.

lindrusso
08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
I'm just here to say that you all are not alone in your embarassment! I think that my high fiber cereal plays a large role, so if I'm going out that afternoon or evening with friends or whatever, I eat something different for breakfast.

Eat junk, gain weight and risk bad health. Eat healthy and you still pay a price. Ya just can't win! ;) :D

Alysha

clairea
08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Wow, sneezles, I would have never thought of that. What is the link? DH uses beano occasionally, but hasn't in quite a while. Last fall he had an anaphylactic reaction to penicillin, so I guess I better tell him not to take it any more:eek:

Claire

sneezles
08-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by clairea
Wow, sneezles, I would have never thought of that. What is the link? DH uses beano occasionally, but hasn't in quite a while. Last fall he had an anaphylactic reaction to penicillin, so I guess I better tell him not to take it any more:eek:

Claire

Claire,
Because Beano is derived from a fungus, it may cause
gastric upset in people who are allergic to molds or penicillin. I
wouldn't want to chance it!
Susan

Laura
08-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Yep my current hi-fiber cereal has 10 grams of fiber. I love the stuff -- Nature's Path Organic Optimum Power Breakfast, but boy the consequences. So I no longer eat it every day, and I measure 1 cup very carefully.

Pico
08-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by lindrusso
I'm just here to say that you all are not alone in your embarassment!

Gee, we should have a contest or something! :rolleyes: :D :p

scout1222
08-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Pico, I don't think that's a very good idea.

My DBF would lay odds on me to take home the gold. :o

sneezles
08-06-2003, 02:12 PM
The family wheeled Grandma out on the lawn, in her wheelchair, where the activities for her 100th birthday were taking place. Grandma couldn't speak very well, but she could write notes when she needed to communicate. After a short time out on the lawn, Grandma started leaning off to the right, so some family members grabbed her, straightened her up, and stuffed pillows on her right.

A short time later, she started leaning off to her left, so again the family grabbed her and stuffed pillows on her left. Soon she started leaning forward, so the family members again grabbed her, then tied a pillowcase around her waist to hold her up.

A nephew who arrived late came running up to Grandma and said, "Hi Grandma, you're looking good! How are they treating you?"

Grandma took out her little notepad and slowly wrote a note to the nephew, "They won't let me f@rt."

funnybone
08-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Sneezles,

ROTFLMAO

That's hilarious!

JackieO
08-06-2003, 04:06 PM
I take Beano before eating really bean-y chili and it seems to work for me.

But has anyone else with this embarrassing problem noticed that they get gas on an EMPTY stomach??? :o When I eat a light lunch and then get really hungry before dinner, I seem to have a LOT of gas....what's up with that?

lindrusso
08-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by funnybone
Sneezles,

ROTFLMAO

That's hilarious!

Ditto to that! Too funny!

syzygy
08-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by sneezles

Claire,
Because Beano is derived from a fungus, it may cause
gastric upset in people who are allergic to molds or penicillin. I
wouldn't want to chance it!
Susan

Beano used to have a "warning" label on it advising people allergic to penicillin not to use it. Then I noticed a few years ago that the label had changed and the warning was no longer there. (DH uses it and I wanted to try it but am allergic to penicillin) When I saw the warning gone, I called the company (there's an 800 # on the label) to find out why. The person I spoke with explained that they had changed the formula and was no longer using anything in any way related to penicillin mold to make it safe for those allergic to penicillin. I have taken it with no problems, and it has worked well.

One thing that I've found very helpful is to add epazote to meals that I'm cooking. I don't find that it has much of a taste itself, but it certainly does the job in preventing "gastric distress" with those foods that would otherwise cause it... :o ;) :D

newcook
08-07-2003, 08:01 AM
I ordered epazote from Penzey's. How much would you put in say a recipe for beans for 4 servings?

Daniele

syzygy
08-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Daniele,

on my Penzey's bottle it says 2-3 teaspoons per 2 quarts of chili, parboil with beans for soups or salads, about 1 tablespoon per pot.

I usually throw in about a tablespoonful.

newcook
08-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks Syzygy, I'll give it a try.

Daniele

JackieO
08-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by newcook
I ordered epazote from Penzey's. How much would you put in say a recipe for beans for 4 servings?

Daniele

Hmm...one more thing I'll have to pick up from Penzey's before I leave town....:(

mrswaz
08-08-2003, 07:20 AM
If you haven't used epazote before- use caution the first few times you use it. The first time I used it I added it to my white chili. I used the mount recommended on the bottle. Yuck. It added a really off sort of minty flavor to my chili. we couldn't eat it. So I guess in that regards it worked, we ended up having cheese sandwiches, thus avoiding the aromatic effects of the chili.

KristinK
08-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Back to Beano...

In my experience - or actually, in DBF's experience, it doesn't work. But then again, DBF's - er - 'problem' is REALLY bad :o

vbak
08-12-2003, 05:00 AM
JackieO, I have this smae problem, too. I do best if I eat around 10:00 in the morning, but that isn't always possible. Someone told me that it was the acid build up in an empty stomach. Don't know if this true. Lunch is a no-no for me, too. There are many days that I have to skip exercise after school becausse I am so miserable. It was really bad when I was eating a lot of fiber, which I have since given up. I will try taking gasx before I eat . Funny, the problem is really only during the school year and rarely on week-ends.

Vicky

Pico
08-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by vbak
Funny, the problem is really only during the school year and rarely on week-ends.

This might sound kind of dumb, but do you think your problems could be stress-related? That's really the case for me; it's much worse if I'm anxious or worried about something or even really busy. Obviously, taking more time to eat meals helps, but I think being mentally relaxed is even more important.

newcook
08-15-2003, 10:57 AM
I've been using the Beano for about a week now and I would say there is a 70% improvement, but I used a good squirt rather than just 5 drops. On the one day that I forgot to use it, the problem was terrible.

Daniele

stevenR
05-12-2007, 06:45 AM
fiber is involved and so is sugar. Beens are a big problem because it has a lot of both. Avoid, as much as possible having them together. To boost my fiber intake, I take metamucil first thing in the morning and I don't eat, especially sugar, for at least 45 minutes.
The reason is that the fiber soaks up the sugars and doesn't let the enzymes get at them to break them down. Nasty bacteria get to the sugar, eat it, multiply, and cause all sorts of minor problems. It is best for your overall health to avoid this. By the way, all sugars are a problem except glucose because glucose is already broken down. Beeno works by breaking the "bean sugar" into glucose, thus no gas (and better health).

LakeMartinGal
05-12-2007, 07:06 AM
I've been told that your system will adjust to increased fiber, in time...

I tried Beano the other night, and had severe problems all night long, but was ok during choir rehearsal. I think Beano just puts the problem off, and doesn't eliminate (no pun intended) it.:p

testkitchen45
05-12-2007, 08:01 AM
fiber is involved and so is sugar. Beens are a big problem because it has a lot of both. Avoid, as much as possible having them together. To boost my fiber intake, I take metamucil first thing in the morning and I don't eat, especially sugar, for at least 45 minutes.
The reason is that the fiber soaks up the sugars and doesn't let the enzymes get at them to break them down. Nasty bacteria get to the sugar, eat it, multiply, and cause all sorts of minor problems. It is best for your overall health to avoid this. By the way, all sugars are a problem except glucose because glucose is already broken down. Beeno works by breaking the "bean sugar" into glucose, thus no gas (and better health).

Welcome to the boards, stevenR! Imagine . . . you'll *never* forget what your first post was about. :D :D

I'm going to pass (sorry; wrong choice of words ;) )--er, give--this info to my DH, who, um, could use it.

Debralynn
05-12-2007, 10:26 AM
I find when I chew alot of gum,.........well......... lookout........:eek: Needless to say, I have cut way back on the gum chewing. :D
And I thought I was the only one who had this problem...hehehe:p
p.s. Pico, let me know if you are having a contest, I will start stocking up on the gum!

Dave
05-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Yes, Beano works. However, you must take it before you eat. Right before, not hours.

___Rhianna___
05-13-2007, 06:03 AM
Beano usually works well for me. I use the capsules rather than the liquid, and you have to chew the pills up with your first bite of the "offending" food for it to work well.

Did y'all hear about this? It happened a few months ago, and I thought it was hilarious: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2006-12-05-flatulence-landing_x.htm

Gumbeaux
05-13-2007, 06:40 AM
This thread really caught my attention.

I might use the people on my pew in church as single-blind experimental group to see if Beano works as advertised. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/bayoutitan/Smellysmiley.gif

All I would have to do is, on Saturday night, take a few Beano tablets, eat three bean burritos at Taco Bell, drink a couple of glasses of buttermilk, followed by cabbage, a plate of boiled crawfish and a couple of beers. If there is anyone left on my pew, (no pun intended :D ) I think it would be fair to say that Beano works.

LakeMartinGal
05-14-2007, 08:10 AM
This thread really caught my attention.

I might use the people on my pew in church as single-blind experimental group to see if Beano works as advertised. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/bayoutitan/Smellysmiley.gif

All I would have to do is, on Saturday night, take a few Beano tablets, eat three bean burritos at Taco Bell, drink a couple of glasses of buttermilk, followed by cabbage, a plate of boiled crawfish and a couple of beers. If there is anyone left on my pew, (no pun intended :D ) I think it would be fair to say that Beano works.You are such a hoot! (pun intended!):p

BaileyJune
05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Okay, here's an interesting twist on this problem.........I don't routinely have "issues" EXCEPT at night, and ONLY if I sleep on my back. If I sleep on my side, I don't have issues. But roll over on to my back, it's non-stop all night. Any ideas why? :o

LakeMartinGal
05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Okay, here's an interesting twist on this problem.........I don't routinely have "issues" EXCEPT at night, and ONLY if I sleep on my back. If I sleep on my side, I don't have issues. But roll over on to my back, it's non-stop all night. Any ideas why? :oIt could be that the gas expels more soundlessly and easily when you're on your side, and requires more effort, and is therefore noisier when you're on your back.:rolleyes: I tried to make that thought not be graphic...:o

BaileyJune
05-15-2007, 06:03 PM
It could be that the gas expels more soundlessly and easily when you're on your side, and requires more effort, and is therefore noisier when you're on your back.:rolleyes: I tried to make that thought not be graphic...:o

I guess that makes sense! Thanks, Kay! :D