PDA

View Full Version : Polenta with Bolognese Sauce from August 2003

shoyski
08-05-2003, 05:51 PM
This was very good and satisfying for our family. A repeater in this house. The polenta didn't firm up quite as much as the recipe stated but I personally thought the softer polenta underneath was nice. In fact, I may skip dirtying another pan and just serve the sauce over the polenta after it's finished cooking.

It's not your usual summer meal but we got caught in the rain today and it was just what we needed. :)

Kiko
08-06-2003, 09:54 PM
DH and I made this tonight. We thought it was great! It looked exactly like the picture in CL. This is something we would serve for company.

I made a few changes to the recipe. I didn't have any fennel seeds, so I subbed anise seeds instead. I used a pound of ground round and also increased the amount of salt in the sauce.

I had the same problem with the polenta being too soft. It did get firmer once it was turned out onto the cutting board. I let it sit about 20 minutes. :cool:

AmberJane
02-18-2005, 10:51 AM
I know this is an old review, but I wanted to let everyone know that I made this on Tuesday and it was wonderful, very filling and comforting. I did do a few changes: I used beef stock instead of chicken in the polentaand it came out wonderfully flavored. For the bolognese sauce, I put in green bell pepers as well as the onions for more veggies. I also put in a lb of ground 90% lean beef since hubby is a big meat fan. And finally, once I poured out the polenta to harden, I sauted it in cooking spray and a bit of olive oil so it had a delicious crust on it. Highly recommend it!