PDA

View Full Version : Favorite ways with... Hungarian sausage?

lorilei
08-06-2003, 09:51 AM
I've acquired three lovely Hungarian sausages.

Not being a regular eater of Hungarian sausages, I'm not sure what the best use of them would be.

On a bun with horseradish sauce?
Cooked with potatoes?

I'll be happy to experiment on my own, but it would be pleasant to know what I'm doing instead :)

Would be happy for all suggestions...

lorilei
08-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Am bumping this up for one last jab. :) Figuring there must be a Hungarian cook out there who's got a brilliant plan... somewhere.

greysangel
08-06-2003, 12:43 PM
I'm not hungarian, but I would saute some up with some thick sliced onions, peppers, potatoes and serve with whole grained mustard!

J

kwormann
08-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Sorry Lorilei, dont have any help. Just giving it a gentle nudge up....

seannasad2k
08-06-2003, 12:54 PM
I've never had Hungarian Sausage...but here's a link to a recipe for Chicken Stroganoff with Hot Hungarian Sausage.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/data/2003/7/1058914390.shtml

lorilei
08-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Good suggestions, guys...

The pepper/onion idea occurred to me, I must admit. But I'm not sure if I've ever HAD Hungarian sausage, so I didn't really know if that was appropriate.

The stroganoff looks interesting, doesn't it??

I must admit that my German genes are getting a craving for caraway noodles just thinking about this :)

Luiza
08-06-2003, 01:10 PM
I would like to help, but I'm actually not sure what type of sausage you have. I suspect that it's plump and very dense, and probably fairly smooth inside (and, of course, smoked). In that case, it's best used as a breakfast sausage, boiled and eaten with horseradish. Alternatively, it can be used as the Polish Kielbasa to add flavour to potato or bean dishes. I prefer this type of sausage to the Kielbasa because it usually has more lean meat and less fat in it.

However, if your sausage is dried (and probably skinny), then it's best fried (maybe chopped in small pieces). You could also eat it raw, but this really depends on how much you trust the company that makes it.

Ok, I found a Hungarian cooking page and it sounds like your sausage is of the first type:
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~june4/hunsausage.html . See also here: http://homepage.interaccess.com/~june4/Ingredients.html#Smoked%20Hungarian%20Sausage

I'm hungry :)

lorilei
08-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Yup, Luiza -- it's the fresh sausage. My presumption (and hope) is that it's heavy on the garlic and paprika.

The horseradish idea definitely sounds like an option, as I'm an avid horseradish fan...

Gail
08-06-2003, 02:17 PM
I know it's not imaginative, but I'd grill 'em.

Or you could make a nice pan of rakott krumpli.

RAKOTT KRUMPLI

The original recipe (as given to me by a Hungarian I used to work with) started with "Steal 7 potatoes and 5 eggs..." :p

7 potatoes
5 eggs
1/2 sausage (not breakfast sausage)
approximately 10 ounces sour cream
Bread crumbs

Boil eggs and potatoes. Cook sausage separately in small amount of water. Peel eggs and potatoes and slice them along with sausage. Layer 1/2 potatoes, eggs and sausage in casserole. Mix some of water from sausage into sour cream and pour about 1/3 of sour cream mix onto potatoes, eggs and sausages. Add second layer of potatoes, eggs and sausage and top with remainder of sour cream. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top and bake for about 40 minutes or until top starts to brown.

I love this stuff. Haven't had it since I quit my job in 1990...

lorilei
08-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Gail
I love this stuff. Haven't had it since I quit my job in 1990...

Because you haven't been up to stealing potatoes and eggs... or what??!! :D

gabbyh
08-06-2003, 09:14 PM
lorelei,

My Hungarian Father loves his fried with potatoes, onions, and peppers(Hungarian, of course...)

Unless it's the Hurka (blood sausage), then it's baked in the oven with potatoes...

~Gail H.

SusanL
08-07-2003, 10:08 AM
bump

lorilei
08-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Aha - So I wasn't off with the potato concept. Good to know :)

My sausage, sadly, is not of the blood variety *snarf* So, I'll avoid the oven, I guess :)

Thanks for the info -- and thanks, Susan for bumping this up. I might just tackle these suckers tonight!

SusanL
08-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Inquiring minds would like to know;) !

zsofi
09-03-2007, 02:36 PM
My friend directed me to this site, and I am Hungarian. There are a number of different type of sausages: smoked which you keep hanging in a cool place then once you start eating it you put it in the fridge. These are usually soft to hard in texture depending on how much fat it already lost since the smoking process. You slice these and eat them for sandwiches.
They can also add great flavor for cooking; you fry them up a little bit maybe with onions, you can put some scrambled eggs on it and it creates a delicious omelet. etc etc

Blood sausage, liver sausage and some other kind of sausages are not smoked and they have to be cooked. Most common way is to put it in the oven or stove top in a skillet and flip it occasionally. They often "explode" but the stuff which comes out is just as good.

This type of sausage is often sold in "whole in the walls" type of places, where there are tall counters you stand by and it the sausage. They are served on a rectangular paper plate, with a dab of mustard, a slice of spongey- delicious sourdough bread, and you actually dip the sausage in the mustard holding it in your hand and break the bread with it. A pickle or a pickled yellow pepper is often served as a side.

At home you would obviously eat it from a proper plate using utensils, it can be served with boiled potatoes and pickles. Although plain fresh bread is often served even around the dinner table, you would use your utensils for the sausage and break the bread to it it with.

The potatoes: you dice them and cook them in water, I actually like to steam them like vegetables on a small water, it is quicker and keeps the flavors in better. once cooked pour away the left over water, add finely chopped parsley, and salt and oil.

I hope this offers some answerers for your questions.

JHaris
09-03-2007, 03:41 PM
DH is Hungarian and I have never had any of the sausages last long enuf to really put them in a recipe:D

We usually thinly slice it and serve on a small piece of good artisian bread; maybe a slice of cucumber and just eat it plain. In fact, that is how I always see it served in Hungary, whether it is at the hotel or at people's homes and they are serving refreshments. It is always put out in the morning with slices of tomatoes and green peppers and bread which is a normal breakfast. It took some getting used to, but part of customs of a different country.