PDA

View Full Version : Need adult games for block party

SusanMac
08-07-2003, 08:42 AM
I'm hosting our block's first street party this weekend, and need some ideas for games. Many people don't know each other outside of the immediate next-door neighbor. So, I thought some mixer-type of games would help encourage people to interact beyond "which house do you live in." We only have 2-3 little toddlers on the block, so we definitely need adult games. (most of the other threads about block parties talk about kid's games) I refuse to do the pass-the-orange game! But, would love something that's cheap, easy to manage, and easy to explain.

Thought this group would be good for lots of creative ideas. So....bring it on!

TIA

P.S. DH proposed the "how much did you pay for *your* house" game!!

AndreaU
08-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Egg toss
Water balloon toss
Pie eating contest (using small, individual sized pies)
Bucket brigade
Lemon on a spoon relay
Volleyball and/or badminton
Obstacle course

Not sure how creative these ideas are... these are mostly based on our 5th grade picnic and field day at school!

sharris315
08-07-2003, 09:55 AM
When people arrive, pin a the name of a famous person on the back of each. They must find out who they are--yes and no questions only--you could limit the # of questions each person can answer for each person, so they must talk to a lot of people to find out. It breaks the ice and gets everybody moving. You can work out your own variation...

Shar

Gilgamesh37
08-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Actually, I've only done this one in a group where the people already know each other well (and then it's really fun) but it could certainly work as a getting-to-know-you game as well.

Each person writes (like on a 3x5 card that you can pin to your lapel) 3 unusual things about themselves--one of which is a lie. And then everyone else has to figure out which one is untrue.

At our last departmental retreat, my 3 were:

I used to weigh 215 lbs.
I used to sing in a rock 'n' roll band.
I have a irrational fear of being upside-down.

Terrytx
08-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Gilgamesh37, I'll bite-which one was the lie?

Gilgamesh37
08-07-2003, 11:04 AM
alas and much to my chagrin, the rock 'n' roll one is a lie. There are probably donkeys in the world that stay on key better than yours truly.

It was a fun game, though. Boy, the people you never figured would have a tattoo.....:D

Terrytx
08-07-2003, 11:45 AM
:D:D There are also "people" out there in bands who sound like donkeys-IMHO

Gail
08-07-2003, 01:01 PM
While the aforementioned guessing games sound like fun, puh-LEEZE don't make game playing manditory (in other words, don't pin a name of a famous person on someone's back without asking if they want to play first.) Some people are really happier simply socializing than playing games.

Signed,

Groaning at Game Time

colleency
08-07-2003, 03:08 PM
This isn't really an ice breaker game, but it's really fun! It's a board game called Apples to Apples. You can probably get 10-12 people playing at once. (I'm not sure.)

The dealer deals everyone several cards with nouns on them. Then the dealer turns over a card with an adjective on it. Everyone has to put down a noun card that the adjective best describes. For example, the dealer deals "Dramatic." The adjectives might be "high school bathroom," "Broadway," "Richard Simmons," "My mother."

The dealer then picks which card wins. The fun part is that it's all subjective to the dealer, so you have to play what you think they might say is the answer. (Whenever the card says "my" it applies to the dealer, not the player.) People who only know each other a little get to know each other better quickly.

I've only been able to find it at game stores like Game Keeper or Wizards of the Coast.

tbb113
08-07-2003, 04:26 PM
We did one at a club meeting "Stand if you ....". After each question, everybody sits down. It was just a series of questions like

Stand up if you are an only child
Stand up if you are from out of state
Stand up if you went to college
Stand up if you like beer
Stand up if you like reading

etc

It gives you a chance to see what other people are similar to you or have similiar interests....

SusanMac
08-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Great ideas, everyone! No, we definitely won't make people play. I esp like the famous person game and the 3 things about yourself game (mainly because they can accommodate people coming & going, and because you can opt not to play but not feel left out)

Thanks!

badunnin
08-08-2003, 12:54 PM
Suck and Blow has always been a fav of mine. :D

Kay Henderson
08-10-2003, 07:50 AM
This takes more preparation, so it's not for a fairly informal come-and-go outdoor party, but it's a good ice-breaker for an affair where you have everyone together, at least for the time you'll be doing the activity. I have used it for meetings and for an extended family reunion.

It's called a people search. The person organizing it (doesn't have to be the hostess) asks the participants ahead of time to send her three little known facts about them.* From these three, the organizer compiles a list of questions to be handed out to the guests. Examples:

1. Who was born in Florida?
2. Who has started three companies?
3. Who has read all five Harry Potter books?
4. Who is going to Australia in September?

It doesn't force participation, but all tend to be included in the conversations of those who are.

* (If the activity game organizer knows the participants well enough, s/he might be able to put together the questions without help.)