PDA

View Full Version : This sounds like a Jerry Springer story.....

LauraBL
08-11-2003, 08:13 AM
I hope you guys don't think I'm pulling your leg here. My mom told me the craziest story. Mom got a call from a woman that she's helped with some genealogical work.

This woman's daughter was having lots of medical problems for some months. The doctors had checked her for pregnancy and the results came back positive and then negative. They ran a series of tests but couldn't figure out what was going on. They determined she needed invasive surgery. She had also had vaginal bleeding for quite some time.

Well, she goes in to have the surgery and the doctor said "Get the OB/GYN up here, this woman is giving birth". It turned out she was pregnant, 38 weeks along and gave birth to a healthy 6 pound baby girl. They are all pleased as punch about their surprise baby.

After the baby was born they discovered the woman had "3 sacks" (excuse my lack of medical terminology, not sure if this would be placentas) One sack had the baby, the other two just had fluids in them.

Isn't this wild? I've heard similar stories but always thought "how would you not know you were pregnant?"

I'm assuming this woman was probably carrying some extra weight so maybe the physical changes weren't as obvious. She did know that she had medical problems but just trusted in the doctor to get the right treatment. I'd be more skeptical if she was just driving down the road one day and all of a sudden a baby came out or something like that.

Anyone else have a story like this from a legitimate source?

Laura

MrsReber
08-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Laura, believe it or not, my cousin claims that she did not know she was pregnant for 8 months. She swears she did not know a thing about it, even after one woman at work told her "honey, you sure look pregnant to me". My cousin is overweight so her mom (my aunt) never suspected a thing. My aunt called my mom about a month before my cousin was to give birth. I'm skeptical. Having been pregnant twice myself, I think by the fourth month, you'd have a pretty good idea what was going on. I say this because I didn't know that I was pregnant with my second baby for a good 2 months. So it's possible to not know in the beginning, I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't notice certain changes to your own body after the third month- obvious weight gain, changes and pains in your chest area, etc. I think some people really "know" but don't want to come to terms with it.

jjsooner73
08-11-2003, 12:25 PM
This happened to a girl from my hometown. She was in a college class of mine, so I saw her weekly. She is rather obese, so I never guessed. Towards the end of the semester, she quit showing up, which was surprising. Turns out, she had a baby.

To hear her tell it, she had no idea. She had been having back pains and was trying to figure out why. She had even been to a chiropracter! :confused: Then, she went to the ER with severe back pain and found out it was labor.
Who knows if she was in denial or clueless, but I don't see how you couldn't know!

ErinM
08-11-2003, 05:07 PM
I hear this story about a girl in my hometown who had no idea she was pregnant until she gave birth in the bathtub, delivered by her father...

I've never had a baby, but I wonder how can one really not know???

TamiKnight
08-11-2003, 09:45 PM
I speak from the perspective of one who carried a little one who could kick a plate off my stomach and leave bruises under my ribs. If I hadn't known I was pregnant, I would've had to assume my body had been invaded by aliens. I also know someone who claims she didn't know, but it's just hard to believe.

LauraBL
08-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear some other similar stories. I'm sure in the case of a teenager it would be utteral denial and probably wishful thinking to boot. It's just very very strange to me.