PDA

View Full Version : Exercises to relieve shin splints?

stefania4
08-14-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm taking a break from incline walking/running on the treadmill since I've ended up with shin splints. Right now I'm concentrating on swimming, yoga, weights, and the recumbent bike.

Are there any exercises I can do to resolve the shin splint issue?

paula
08-14-2003, 09:23 AM
There are several older threads about shin splints with a wide variety of recommendations. Try this one...

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39143&highlight=shin+splints

Laura
08-14-2003, 09:46 AM
I have been fortunate not to have had many shin splints over the years. I have learned through friends that you shoes can play a large role in this. People who have shin splints are often pronators. Thus, if you have shoe that isn't correcting this, then it would be a good idea to get to a running store (not a athletic shoe store) and have them watch you run. Ice and ibuprofen can help to keep exercising, but you are doing well to find alternatives right now. Hope they heal soon.

heeter
08-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Shoes, shoes, shoes.

I use to get them horribly and this may not be your problem, but, 25 years after high school I don't wear a size 9 anymore. I finally measured and I wear 10 and this fixed my problem.

Leslie Ferguson
08-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Ditto on shoes. Plus the link has a good summary of most of the issues and ways to help shin splints.
Les