PDA

View Full Version : Can one freeze homemade biscuit dough?

CompassRose
08-18-2003, 02:25 PM
I've got such a craving for biscuits upon me, and I was going to make maybe some blackened tofu, and the Stewed Okra with Corn from the CL Best of the Best cookbook... and some biscuits.

Except there's only the two of us, and there is just nothing that loses its first fine freshness by the next day like a biscuit... and when you're using a light recipe that only has say, a tablespoon of butter to begin with, it's SO very hard to cut it down to a mere two or four servings (s'pose I COULD toast a couple for breakfast). Sigh.

I thought of making a whole recipe, and slicing them up, then freezing most of them and just baking them here and there. Has anybody tried this? Seems like it SHOULD work -- but I am often surprised by the distance between hypothesis and practice in the kitchen!

jphilg
08-18-2003, 02:31 PM
I worry that the baking powder will do all of its acting, and the frozen biscuits won't rise when you bake them. But I guess that is the point of baking powder: one action in the presence of liquid, and then a second action when the temperature rises. Or something like that. So maybe. They'd be flakey, for sure, since the dough would be so cold.

badunnin
08-18-2003, 02:38 PM
I did a little poking around on the net, and found this...

Freeze Raw Dough

Roll out and cut your biscuits the way you like them.
Sprinkle the tops with flour (the bottoms should already
have flour on them). Layer them as above, with waxed paper
in between each, and place in a freezer bag or plastic
container, label, seal, and freeze. These need to be used
in 2-4 weeks. To bake, place on a baking sheet, without
thawing, and bake at 400 degrees for 20- 25 minutes, or
until golden brown.

CompassRose
08-19-2003, 09:40 AM
thank you! ended up no biscuits yesterday, as I came home and A. had made dinner for us!

maybe biscuits tonight. Or maybe Greek Chicken with Feta and Olives, since A. is making a dog door at his buddy's mom's house and won't be home.

It's like that bit of Alice in Wonderland, only with biscuits. "Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today."

Searcher
08-20-2003, 01:30 PM
I have a biscuit recipe that makes about 2 dozen biscuits, unhealthy as all get out, lots of butter, but it makes those flakey layer biscuits that you can get in a can from Pillsbury. I freeze them on a cookie sheet, then put in a zip lock baggie after they're frozen. When I want some I just take them out and bake them as usual. They might be a little less high than the originals but not much. And I also make Martha Stewart's Peach Cobbler recipe, but I mix up the peaches, and leave them in the fridge for about 3 days while taking out few spoonfuls, putting them into individual serving ramekins and topping with a one of the biscuits from the same recipe that I've made and frozen. I bake pretty much as usual, I think it's 375 for 30-35 minutes and if the ramekins are small I bake them for about 25 minutes. They are delicous and the biscuits are light and raise really high.

clairea
08-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Can you post that biscuit recipe? I love those flaky Pillsbury ones:o

Claire

Searcher
08-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Hi Claire,
I warned that these are not light, far from it. And I think one reason that they're so flakey is that I'm impatient and never cut the butter in as well as they say to. I think it's because it leaves bigger chunks of butter in the dough.

Salli's Buttermilk Biscuits
Makes about 3 dozen biscuits

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces, plus 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted, for brushing tops
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 425. Line two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

3. Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your fingertips, blend in the 10 tablespoons chilled butter pieces until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the buttermilk, and mix until dough holds together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly until smooth. Roll out the dough to a 1/2-inch thickness, and cut into rounds using a 2-inch biscuit cutter.

4. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet. ***** the tops with a fork, and brush with the melted butter. Bake until just lightly golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool.

MSL

clairea
08-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the biscuit recipe. I will save this for the next time we are looking for a breakfast indulgence. Some things are just better in their full-fat form, and IMO biscuits are one of them!

Claire