PDA

View Full Version : GITAC-Individual Fruit Shortcakes

semmens
08-28-2003, 08:08 AM
I'll never make these again, but will keep on cooking my way through this book.

Laura

* Exported from MasterCook *

Individual Fruit Shortcakes

Recipe By :Richard Sax
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Fruit:
4 nectarines -- firm-ripe
3 peaches -- firm-ripe
1 lemon -- juiced
2 plums -- halved, stoned, and sliced
2 cups blueberries -- picked over
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Light Biscuit Dough:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter -- cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk -- or as needed
milk -- for glazing
sugar -- for glazing

Prepare the fruit: Peel the nectarines and peaches by immersing them in a large pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds; then rinse them under cold water in a colander. The skins should slip off easily. Halve the fruit, remove the stones, and cut into thick wedges, letting them fall into a large bowl and tossing them with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Pour off any excess liquid, leaving the fruit somewhat moist. Add the plums, berries, and ginger; toss to combine.

in a small bowl, stir together both sugars and the cinnamon with a fork or small whisk until free of lumps. Sprinkle this mixture over the fruit and toss gently with your fingers or 2 large spoons until thoroughly mixed. Let sit at room temperature for about 2 hours.

Make the biscuit dough: In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; pulse once or twice. Add the butter and process. pulsing on and off, until the mixture is crumbly. Add the vanilla and drizzle most but not all of the buttermilk over the dry mixture; pulse to combine. The dough hold together and be moist but not sticky. If necessary, add more buttermilk. Gather the dough onto a floured sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper. pulling it together to forma cohesive disk. (The dough can be made several hours in advance up to this point, wrapped, and refrigerated until needed).

Preheat the oven to 425. Butter a baking sheet and set aside.

Pat the dough out on a lightly floured sheet of wax paper to about 3/4 inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter or glass dipped in flour. Gather the scraps together, pat out, and cut out more biscuits. Brush the tops with milk and arrange on the baking sheet, spacing apart. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.

Bake about 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the biscuits to a wire rack to cool slightly. With a serrated knife, slice each biscuit horizontally in half. Place the bottom halves of the biscuits on dessert plates. Spoon some of the fruit mixture over and cover with a biscuit top. Spoon more fruit over all.

Source:
""Get In There and Cook""
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 391 Calories; 9g Fat (19.9% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 76g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 400mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This was just SO not worth all the work involved!

-There was about twice as much fruit as needed, and trying to find all those fruits at the perfect ripeness was not easy. I will say the ginger was a nice touch.

-I trashed the first batch of dough I made because I foolishly added just under 2/3 cup buttermilk. I desperately added more flour when I saw what a soggy mess I'd made but finally gave up. I tried again later in the day and barely needed 1/3 cup buttermilk, and it was still sticky.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1553 0 0 0 0

Pony
08-28-2003, 08:40 AM
thanks for your reviews. i have been saving some of the recipes you post, they seem very good!! probably not this one though :)