PDA

View Full Version : A yummy low-carb meal.

lindrusso
09-01-2003, 06:54 PM
I saw this on Rachael Ray's show the other night and knew I had to try it. We were in desperate need of a good, nutritious meal after a week of not eating so well, so tonight was the night. It makes a very colorful and delicious meal. It's not one of those meals that is full of zesty, knock-your-socks-off flavor, but the flavors are fresh, subtle and simple. Perfect for a light summer meal.

As I am a slow chopper (and I used fresh corn), this meal took me longer than 30 minutes, but it is simple to throw together and only dirties two pans. I used the full 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the veggies. Normally I would reduce this, but I felt I needed to keep the oil (extra virgin) for the flavor since this dish was so simple. I think it was the right choice. Instead of butter beans (which DH hates), I used frozen edamame - very good. In the fish dish, I used grouper instead of halibut and it worked very nicely.

Poached Halibut with Tomato and Basil
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Show: 30 Minute Meals Episode: 30-Minute Slimmers
See this recipe on air Tuesday Sep. 02 at 2:30 PM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

4 (6 to 8-ounce) portions halibut fillets
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 shallot, sliced
1/2 cup white wine, eyeball it
1 can diced tomatoes, well drained
1/4 lemon
20 leaves fresh basil, torn or rolled and shredded with your knife, chiffonade

Season fish with salt and pepper. In a large skillet add the oil. Arrange fish in the pan and turn to coat in oil, then add garlic, shallots and wine. Top each fillet of fish with 1/4 of the tomatoes. Place the pan on the stove top and bring the liquid to a boil over medium high heat. Top the pan with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat to moderate. Cook fish 8 to 10 minutes until opaque and flaky, but not dry. Carefully transfer fish topped with tomatoes to dinner plates or serving plate with a thin spatula. Spoon pan juices over the fish. Squeeze the wedge of lemon over the cooked fish and top each fillet with lots of torn or shredded basil. Serve immediately.

Mediterranean Succotash
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Show: 30 Minute Meals Episode: 30-Minute Slimmers
See this recipe on air Tuesday Sep. 02 at 2:30 PM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bell peppers, yellow, red, and/or green, seeded and chopped
1 bunch asparagus, sliced on bias, tips 1 1/2 inches long
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 can butter beans, drained
Salt and pepper
Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, onion, garlic, peppers. Saute peppers, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Add asparagus and corn, cook 3 to 5 minutes longer. Add beans and heat them through, 1 or 2 minutes. Season dish with salt and pepper, to your taste, then stir in parsley. Transfer to dinner plates or bowls and serve.

Enjoy. :)

Alysha

Kristine
09-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Sounds good! I'm always on the lookout of new/interesting ways to prepare fish. Thanks for sharing.