PDA

View Full Version : Russian recipes

ruscuisine
09-09-2003, 07:33 AM
Hi there !
I'd like to share with you a great collection of authentic Russian recipes that we have at www.RusCuisine.com. You'll find about 300 delicious Russian recipes (hors-d'oeuvres, main courses, desserts, drinks etc.) from ancient time to the present.

Have a look at one of my favorites:

Medianyky (Honey Cookies)
4 c Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 ts Ground Cinnamon
1/2 ts Ground Cloves
1/2 ts Ground Ginger
1/2 ts Ground Nutmeg
1 c Powdered Sugar
2 ts Baking Powder
2 Extra Large Eggs
1 c Honey
2 tb Chopped Orange Peel
1 lg Egg; Beaten With A Little
-Water For Glazing
20 Blanched Almonds
Coarse Sugar Crystals

Sift the flour, spices, sugar, & baking powder together, blending well. Add the eggs, honey, & the orange peel to make a soft dough. On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters, and place on a lightly greased or non-stick cookie sheet, brushing each one with the egg-wash glaze. Place 1/2 of an almond in the top center of each cookie and sprinkle with the sugar crystals. Bake in a preheated 350 Degree F. oven until done, about 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks and store in airtight containers.

Recipe source: Dr. Donald Houston's collection ORIGIN: Katya Bulinovskaya, Samara-Russia, circa 1996

Best wishes and welcome to www.RusCuisine.com

Yuri

Tess
09-09-2003, 04:15 PM
What a great site! My Lithuanian grandmother lived with us when I was a kid and so many of those recipes were familiar to me! She's gone now, as is my mother so I've tried to find find Lithuanian recipes through books and online and have had some success. That site had lots that are similar to what I remember having when I was growing up. Thanks! Now to get cooking......
Tess

hAndyman
09-09-2003, 06:55 PM
When looking for some Russian recipes last spring for a cooking project I was on I found this site (and others) for recipes, and coincidentlally made these cookies. If anyone tries them, here's a tip I used: in place of 2 extra large eggs and 1 large, as called for, I used 3 large, splitting one in half (approximately) after beating it and using half an egg for the glaze and 2-1/2 for the cookies. I also added a quarter teaspoon of salt. The cookies don't spread much on the pan.
Cheers! Andy

Kay Henderson
09-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Welcome, ruscuisine!

Thank you for the reference. It looks most interesting.

Hope you stick around -- you clearly have much to offer!