PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions anyone?

pschambers
09-21-2003, 10:09 AM
We have this unique place here called White Feather Farms. They sell food stuffs to local restaurants/markets and are open to the public only on Sat. Great deals on cheese, like Parmesean Reggiano for 4.99 lb (my local supermarket has it on sale this week for 13.99, and they get their's from White Feather Farms)! Anyway, I bought a lb of polenta and I have never made it before. Any suggestions or recipes would be appreciated. Also got some beautiful butternut and spaghetti squash which we have never cooked before. Thanks so much, the people on these boards are so informative and helpful!

Patti

Denise
09-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Patti - This is my absoulte favorite polenta recipe:

POLENTA WITH ROASTED RED PEPPERS AND FONTINA CHEESE

Ingredients
3 Large Red Bell Peppers
1 (14.5-Ounce) Can Whole Tomatoes, Undrained And Chopped
Cooking Spray
1 (16-Ounce) Tube Polenta, Cut Crosswise Into 12 Slices
1 Cups (5 Ounces) Shredded Fontina Cheese
Fresh Basil (Optional)

Instructions
Preheat Broiler. Cut Peppers In Half Lengthwise; Discard Seeds And Membranes. Place Pepper Halves, Skin Sides Up, On Foil-Lined Baking Sheet; Flatten With Hand. Broil 10 Minutes Or Until Blackened. Place In A Zip-Top Plastic Bag; Seal. Let Stand 15 Minutes. Peel; Cut Into Strips. Set Aside.

Preheat Oven To 350. Drain Tomatoes In Sieve Over Bowl; Reserve Liquid. Set Aside. Place A Large Skillet Over Medium-Low Heat; Add Chopped Tomatoes. Cook 1 Minute. Gradually Add Tomato Liquid; Simmer 1 Minute. Add Pepper Strips; Simmer 5 Minutes. Remove From Heat.

Spread Cup Pepper Sauce In Bottom Of A 13 X 9-Inch Baking Dish Coated With Cooking Spray. Arrange Polenta Slices Over Pepper Sauce; Spread Remaining Pepper Sauce Over Polenta. Sprinkle With Cheese. Bake At 350 For 25 Minutes. Garnish With Basil, If Desired.

Yield: 6 Servings.
Calories: 187; Fat 7.8g

09-21-2003, 01:28 PM
That polenta recipe looks great and one I am planning on making soon.

I have a couple of ideas for the butternut squash. It is wonderful roasted with a bit of olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. I peel the squash with a vegetable peeler and then cut it into small pieces. It takes a bit of work, but it is worth it. We eat a lot of roasted vegetables and I have to include the butternut squash on DD's request.

Another delicious recipe with butternut squash is the Thai Tofu and Squash Curry that was posted by Natasha. Here is the link to the recipe and postings about the recipe.