PDA

View Full Version : ISO of a tried and true ham salad

kwormann
09-21-2003, 01:10 PM
I remember having ham salad from a deli as a child...it was ok and I enjoyed it once in awhile. A few years back Scott's gramma made some HOMEMADE ham salad and it was FABULOUS!!!!

Does anyone have a great homemade ham salad recipe?? I did a search and came up empty...of course I KNOW someone more search savvy than I will find 50 already posted:D

Linda in MO
09-21-2003, 01:45 PM
We like this one...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ham Salad Spread

Recipe By : (my version of a Taste of Home recipe)
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Ham , Sandwich

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 c. ground fully cooked ham
2 hard-boiled eggs -- chopped
1/4 c. reg. or light Hellman's mayonnaise (or a little more, if needed)
1 t. prepared mustard
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. celery salt
1/8 t. onion powder
1/8 t. pepper
2 T. finely chopped celery
1 T. sweet pickle relish or green tomato relish

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

Chill until serving time.

Serve on bread, toast, or crackers.

Mamasue
09-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Kim...no recipe really..this is what I do. Chop ham fine, add your favorite mayo and hotdog relish to your liking. Basic and easy...taste like deli one in container. ;)

myrnas
09-21-2003, 04:24 PM
There was a deli in Tampa Fla. that used to do the most wonderful combinations of ingredients for salad sandwiches. They did ham with walnuts added, equal parts of chopped eggs and Jack cheese with slivered almonds, chicken salad with cashews in it. All had mayo. as the common ingredient and all done on huge bread slices. This was 30 years or so ago and I can still remember the glorious taste. Your request for ham salad got me going. The one Linda in MO posted would be just fine, but I would add the walnuts. I have done variations of the above sandwiches for special occasions and have gotten rave reviews. It would be fun to know if that deli still exists in Tampa. It was near Dale Mabry and Morrison. Sorry to reminisce here.

kwormann
09-21-2003, 05:42 PM
So, its basically like chicken salad or tuna salad, both which I make w/o a recipe!! Cool :)

would lunch meat ham work, or should it be A ham???

Grace
09-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Lunch meat ham works perfectly. I LOVE ham salad, and until last week, hadn't had it in probably at least 20 years (maybe longer?) I had a hankering for it for some reason, and didn't even know if the deli section still made ham salad! But there it was..... :D :D I only ordered 1/4 pound because I wasn't sure I'd like it (that store's version I mean) but it was exactly how I'd remembered it! So of course, I went back for more... :D And I'm going back for more again tonight! :D I go through these phases all the time - I crave the same thing for weeks and then I'm tired of it. :rolleyes:

The version I eat doesn't have eggs in it - but I think it has red pepper (finely diced), as well as relish, and of course, mayo, but I don't know what else.

Mamasue
09-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Kim...it is also good in a lettuce rollup!

kwormann
09-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Know what I am making next weekend????

Sue, I LOVE lettuce roll-ups! I had turkey salami and gouda roled up today for lunch:D

Lchiles
09-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Myrnas,

Are you thinking of Wright's Gourmet House?/? They have awesome lunches, salads, and sandwiches.!!

LaurieC

kwormann
09-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Ok, I made it. It was soooo easy and yummmmyyy!!! Ham, pickle, mayo, garlic salt and a touch of splenda!