PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recipes for Bison meat

Char Finamore
09-24-2003, 05:56 PM
We just purchased a quarter of a buffalo and I am looking for great recipes for it! I know you need to cook it at a lower temperature, and be careful not to overcook it, but other helpful hints would be appreciated. We have a variety of steaks, (including some cube steaks) roasts, patties, and ground bison. Thanks!

sneezles
09-24-2003, 06:12 PM
We bought half a bison steer about 1 1/2 years ago. I got most of my recipes by searching the internet using: buffalo recipes or bison recipes. The ground meat I cooked pretty much the same as lean ground beef, using it in meat sauces, meatloaf, tacos and such. The best roasts were ones I cooked in a clay roaster.

Here is some info I used:

Nearly All You Need To Know About Cooking Buffalo Meat:

Slow and low is said to be the key to cooking lean meat, especially buffalo. Buffalo can be cooked to the same doneness as beef, but it is recommended that it be cooked rare to medium. The higher the internal temperature of a bison roast, the tougher, drier and grainer it becomes.

ROASTING TIPS

275į F. is the best oven temperature to cook buffalo roasts. Buffalo roasts, with no fat, cook more quickly than beef and need to be checked often. Buffalo cuts suitable for roasts are: rib steaks, roasts, tenderloin and sirloin roasts.

BROILING

Place broiler rack 2 to 5 inches farther away from the heat source than it would if used for beef. Buffalo meat should be boiled for a shorter period than beef, with steaks being turned over a few minutes sooner. Rib steaks, tenderloin, and T-bone steaks are the best bison cuts to broil.

GRILLING

Keep grillís temperature down or let coals die down some before grilling buffalo. Buffalo should not be cooked in a flame or hotspot. Allow the temperature to remain very low and use a basting liquid frequently. Since buffalo is drier to begin with, basting frequently will keep it juicy.

PAN FRYING and BRAISING

Turn the heat down! Use a standard beef recipe, but watch the temperature. If you use high heat with buffalo, use it only for a very, very short time such as searing, then watch the cooking time. Bison cooks much faster than beef.

CROCK POT COOKING

Very slow, moist heat works extremely well with less tender cuts of meat such as the chuck. Use a crock pot or a slow cooker and let it cook all day. With the moist, slow cook method, overcooking isnít a problem. Use the low setting on your crock pot. Besides chuck, the fore shank, brisket, and stew meat are suitable to this cooking method.

STIR FRYING

Prepare meat in small strips or cubes for this excellent method to cook buffalo, and cook in just enough olive oil or polyunsaturated oil to coat the pan. Since buffalo cooks quickly, stir fry vegetables need to be ready to toss in the wok soon after the meat starts to brown. Then follow the recipe but remember to keep the heat down.

"There is no such thing as tough buffalo meat, only improperly instructed cooks."

And this is one of the
sites (http://www.greatlakesbuffalo.com/recipes2.html)
I use.