PDA

View Full Version : Could you Please explain what Tapioca is?

Terri-Lynn
09-26-2003, 03:43 PM
I want to make an oven baked stew in the quick and easy supplement from a few years back and I was wondering what 2 tbsp uncooked quick cooking tapioca would be? I know what tapioca pudding is, but would it be a powder used to thicken where you could substitue cornstarch or more like a barley. The recipe calls for such a small amount I dont want to go out and buy it.

Thanks

Terri

lhall
09-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Terri-Lynn,

It's what you use to make tapioca pudding. Well, I would guess there's slow cooking tapioca too. :D

I don't know what you could sub for it, but the box I have only has 1 cup of uncooked tapioca so it's not a big box.

Leigh

tbb113
09-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Terri:

Tapioca is both the powder and the little "pearly" things. I would think if you are trying to thicken the stew you could use either cornstarch or the barley depending on whether you just wanted it thicker or if you wanted the flavor from the barley. I know that sometimes pie recipes call for tapioca to thicken the fruit filling.

Terri-Lynn
09-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Thank to both of you, I am guessing it is being used as a thickener and that cornstarch would work. If I see it at the grocery store I may pick it up but if not then I will just replace with cornstarch.

Thanks

Terri