PDA

View Full Version : Need mountain bike advice......

Valerie226
09-29-2003, 11:22 AM
DH & I are looking for mountain bikes. Have not ridden in years, & did road rides of 30-50 miles. But too many close calls with irresponsible drivers so we hung up the bikes.
we want to ride mountain roads, gravel or dirt, some up/down. we need to carry stuff with us, like backpacks or skis. Mostly we want to speed up the road travel part of hiking/ski trips. often wet muddy conditions. not anything very steep.
We rented bikes but they were "comfort" street bikes. Not right.
what brands /features do we look for? we expect to spend $1000 each although would be happy with less. we are short. I'm barely 5'3" and DH is 5'5". this is an issue as bikes the "right size" never seem rentable.

I looked at some previous threads but did not find much on mountain bikes

SusanMac
09-29-2003, 02:05 PM
DH & I both have Treks and love them. Don't remember which model/number they are, as we bought them years ago. I do know that we didn't have to buy any special components other than saddles and clips for our pedals (didn't go clipless on the mtn bikes). I'd probably say the same as what you found on the other threads re: road bikes....read a lot, check out bicycling.com, visit local bikes shops until you find someone you can trust. You might be able to find some end of season deals right (trying to get rid of this year's models), but next Spring might be a better time to buy as everyone typically has mega sales to push merchandise.

Valerie226
09-29-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm assuming we need toe clips & fenders. (It's wet and muddy here) I am familiar with Trek. I know this is not the best time but we don't want to wait til spring. we can ride all year round here. Usually the REI website has lots of info but it's not available right now. Reg brakes or disk brakes?

KristaMB
09-29-2003, 02:54 PM
I have a Gary Fisher "Hoo Koo E Koo" http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=genesis&bike=HKEK (wish they had silver when I bought mine!)that I love, but I'm :o to say it's been years since I've ridden it. When I rode I only did relatively short rides of 5-10 miles and didn't do a ton of single track riding. I'm pretty out of the loop in terms of bikes, but just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Here is the link to Fisher bikes: http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/collection.asp They have some specially designed for women that look pretty nice.

Sorry I can't help more. I think Natasha may be a mountain biker, perhaps she will chime in.

Valerie226
09-29-2003, 03:38 PM
I've been looking at the Trek web site & they have a lot of info. I need to get more up to date before serious shopping.
will check bicycling.com next.
Hardtail vs full suspension?
disk brakes or reg brakes? is there a good place for general information not tied to a bike brand?

SusanMac
09-29-2003, 04:49 PM
I think the suspension totally depends on how much hard-core terrain you plan on ripping up. We went with regular brakes, but then again, we stick with basic trails. DH had hoped at one time to get me into more serious single-track, mtn biking, but it just isn't in my genes. Turns out he likes road biking better anyway (which is lucky for me, because I do too :-)

Other than bicycling.com, I'm not sure of other sources. You can try NORBA, which is the off-road biking assn. there are probably other mtn biking web sites, I just don't know them.

Good luck!